• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Upgrading my Claude Butler San Remo

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a Claude Butler San Remo road bike, I'm looking to upgrade it bit by bit (I can't afford to go buy a new bike outright).

My question is what order should I buy the components? ie; new frame first followed by chainset then wheels etc etc...

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
"shill something"? -not sure what you mean.

I'm new to road cycling as such (ie, bought my first "proper" road bike earlier this year; obviously excluding BMX & a mountain bike as a kid..), I'm really enjoying the cycling and looking to get more involved, I've already bought proper cycling shoes & pedals. -Hence my question on upgrading my bike.

Don't know why you'd think it's a strange first post, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. What I ment was that if you were going to upgrade your bike bit by bit, what would be the first thing you'd change? ie, would it be more beneficial to upgrade the chainset over the brake/gear shift, or should I save & try to get a good frame? You mentioned the wheels, thanks, I'll have a closer look.

GarminFan said:
I have a Claude Butler San Remo road bike, I'm looking to upgrade it bit by bit (I can't afford to go buy a new bike outright).

My question is what order should I buy the components? ie; new frame first followed by chainset then wheels etc etc...

Thanks!

'Upgrade'? What problem are you trying to solve? What doesn't work well? Do those things first. If it works now, why upgrade? back to first question.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
How comfortable is your seat? That would be the first thing I would upgrade. Then I would look at getting a good set of hand-built wheels. Then down the road when you do get a new bike you can transfer the seat and wheels over to that bike.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
GarminFan said:
No, absolutely not. I'm not selling anything, nor have I any association/ties with anyone selling.

There's nothing wrong with the bike per-se (the gear change could be a bit sharper if I was being critical.). I'll have a look at wheels. Thanks.

Sorry then. It is just that probably 1/2 of all first-posts on this site are now somebody trying to sell some wierd scam.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
How comfortable is your seat? That would be the first thing I would upgrade. Then I would look at getting a good set of hand-built wheels. Then down the road when you do get a new bike you can transfer the seat and wheels over to that bike.

The seat is quite comfortable so I'll probably just focus on the wheels, thanks for the advice.