• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
formerlyfastfreddyp said:
Hey, DA (a tla for a salutation oft used in rec.bicycles.racing),

It wasn't the Los Angeles District Attorney that put an end to the criminal investigation of LA, it was the United States Attorney for the Central District of California, André Birotte Jr.

Kretch 0

Thank you. I still, however, maintain that was not a victory for Armstrong but a smart tactical move on the part of the US DA.

Turner29 said:
a tactical decision was made to turn evidence of doping to the USADA,

Let's be clear we distinguish between two things -- first, the privileged transcripts of any grand jury testimony, and second, other results of the investigation, including interviews with investigators.

We have NO reason to believe that any of the grand jury testimony has been divulged to anyone. Doing so would be improper and would itself be a felony.

That does not mean that information acquired by investigators has not been communicated. That would be subject to "memorandums of understanding" between agencies, and would not be improper.

Team Lance has been intentionally trying to confuse the two.

-dB

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Not all material evidence is subject to Rule 6(e), and nothing prevented the USADA from interviewing key witnesses themselves (at least from the obvious pool of key witnesses).

TheInternet said:
Not all material evidence is subject to Rule 6(e), and nothing prevented the USADA from interviewing key witnesses themselves (at least from the obvious pool of key witnesses).

Exactly. The "improper" transfer stuff is as much fantasy as UCI control over the process.

-dB

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why the uci would want the case to go to CAS. Are they just trying to draw the case out further? More time for Lance to do massive PR work? Why is an independent CAS panel better than a independent USADA panel?

Chris85 said:
I don't understand why the uci would want the case to go to CAS. Are they just trying to draw the case out further? More time for Lance to do massive PR work? Why is an independent CAS panel better than a independent USADA panel?

Harder arbitrator pool to mess with?

Reduce overall costs for USADA - get right to a final decision?

Dave.

Chris85 said:

At USADA, as long as they stick to the facts, they've got him beat. Armstrong can't say a word inside the hearing because it would lead to perjury charges.

The idea being there's some kind of long-shot pardon at a CAS hearing that presumably takes place in Switzerland, so he can lie pretty easily there without consequence. Realistically, I'd guess he'd get the gentlest punishment possible and some kind of face-saving conclusion like Contador did at CAS. USADA's case is good though.

It's not a 1:1 comparison so don't read too much into my comments.

The bonus litigation rounds begin after CAS, so that could be a couple of years. Ideally, some other law enforcement stuff flows from that too.

where's Lance?

Lance if Your reading this...Go to Arbitration and Prove Your Innocence

All this Legal maneuvering makes it look as though You have Much to Hide

and Lance All those Times You Steam Rollered to 'Victory' in the Tour de France Sucked.............No Panache!

Anyone Notice recently that in comments sections under Ariticles on Lance v USADA how there are Very Few Armstrong Apologists sticking up for Lance?

has Anyone Seen or Heard Anything direct from Lance recently or is He being Gagged with only the Armstrong Legal Team Allowed to issue statements?

these Days even Polish has more of a Life.........He Lives on at Velo News stating that He was Banned from this Forum for calling a Member a Troll
............no more............mmmmmmmm?

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
has Anyone Seen or Heard Anything direct from Lance recently or is He being Gagged with only the Armstrong Legal Team Allowed to issue statements?

LA-Law-012.jpg

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Chris85 said:

I don't believe they wanted CAS to arbitrate just to decide if there was enough evidence to proceed and to decide who had jurisdiction if there was. They don't want any arbitration or hearing. They want this to go away. Which will happen if gets turned over to the UCI.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycl...ping-effects-livestrong-foundation/56894740/1

Remember that troll who used to say that everyone but a few guys in the clinic love Lance?

According to Q Scores, only 10% of people who are familiar with Armstrong view him positively,

Impressive how they skate over using Livestrong funds to lobby for Lance. It appears the journalist did not realize that Serrano's spokesperson spoke multiple times on the issue and made it clear that the only topic discussed was USADA

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
henryg said:
I don't believe they wanted CAS to arbitrate just to decide if there was enough evidence to proceed and to decide who had jurisdiction if there was. They don't want any arbitration or hearing. They want this to go away. Which will happen if gets turned over to the UCI.

UCI and LA for sure would like this to go away.
But the time for dealing has long passed and this gets bigger every day, particularly since UCI began its ' We better try somethin' to git the Texas boy off the hook' campaign.
The timing of their efforts only reinforces the perception that there is tons of sh+t behind the dam and the dam is about to get blown up.

In fact, McQuaid's efforts are doing more harm to LA than good, so .....keep up the good work , Paddy.

henryg said:

Correct. The UCI motive is to unearth the evidence to then dismiss it. They have no intention on wanting to arbitrate anywhere.

Can you imagine. Once the witnesses are revealed to the UCI they’ll take action against them before Armstrong goes to a hearing. They lock them up in a process that would make the Contador case look fast.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Chris85 said:
Might we have to do with a statue of limitations of eight years? Given the really 'speedy' proces Contador encountered the LA case will get a CAS ruling by 2014. I can give you 7 million reasons why LA would like that...

[or what was the amount of money he got for his 7 Tour victories, the case he won in court?]

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Might we have to do with a statue of limitations of eight years? Given the really 'speedy' proces Contador encountered the LA case will get a CAS ruling by 2014. I can give you 7 million reasons why LA would like that...

[or what was the amount of money he got for his 7 Tour victories, the case he won in court?]

Surely that fraud case will not expire if Lance dope a single day after, continuing the conspiracy and covering up the fraud?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Surely that fraud case will not expire if Lance dope a single day after, continuing the conspiracy and covering up the fraud?
Bjarne Riis hasn't been striped of his 1996 title or is he? Thevenet? So, LA could just go to court and say 'hey, even the ASO considers me winning all those Tours'.

Just mentioning.

Don't know the clauses of that contract but it could be an interesting angle.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Bjarne Riis hasn't been striped of his 1996 title or is he? Thevenet? So, LA could just go to court and say 'hey, even the ASO considers me winning all those Tours'.

Just mentioning.

Don't know the clauses of that contract but it could be an interesting angle.

I wonder if ASO is bound to the outcome of all this. They might not want to re-write the results....maybe just an asterisk?

Anyone know?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site

I believe that statue of limitation apply to the point where proceeding are started, not to the point where they end. Exactly so you can't draw out the process and say "haha, charges expired yesterday!"

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
I wonder if ASO is bound to the outcome of all this. They might not want to re-write the results....maybe just an asterisk?

Anyone know?

One would think the ASO would be technically bound to the eligibility of a rider, per the outcome of the USADA investigation. However, might they open themselves up to litigation if they disqualify Armstrong on the basis of criminal proceedings if the USADA/UCI do not formally disqualify Armstrong?

FWIW, Bond's single-season and lifetime home run record is accompanied by asterisks in several baseball almanacs, but I've yet to see such annotation on an official MLB website. Cooperstown even accepted the home run ball that surpassed Aaron's record (as well as other Bonds memorabilia), and it was only through the actions of a private citizen not associated with the organization to denote the controversy of the record (i.e. Mark Ecko, who purchased the baseball prior to donating it to Cooperstown, burned an asterisk onto the baseball). Certainly the majority of fans view the accomplishment should be accompanied by an asterisk, but it appears the official record has yet to reflect that.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
Is there a public hearing tomorrow or does Sparks decide based on what he has in his files?

There will be a hearing. Federal judges in Texas typically just rule on the written submissions, but in this case the judge wants to hear from the lawyers, and will likely have a lot of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS