• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Used bike recommendations

Jun 29, 2022
Visit site
Hello to everyone, I'm currently an owner of a Giant Defy 5 2015 (aluminum) and I'm looking forward for the next's step bike. My budget is around 1250 € max so I'm looking for a used bike. I've found these 3 bikes and I would like your opinion.
1.Cannondale Caad 12 2017(aluminum frame). Groupset: SRam Force 22, Crankset: power meter power2max NG rotor 39/53,pedals: exustar pr200, handlebar: fsa compact, stem:deda zero100 , wheels: fulcrum racing 3.5 2way fit (tubeless ready) saddle: san marco aspide team weight:7.3 kg PRICE:1200€
2. Focus Izalco pro 3 2013 (carbon frame)
Sram Force,50t Sram Red 110BCD, cassette: Sram PG 1071 (11-28), Wheels: Campagnolo Zonda,handlebar: Easton EC70 carbon,stem Ritchey WCS C260, seat post:deda superleggero RS carbon,saddle: selle Italia SLR carbon rails weight 7kg, PRICE 1200€
3.BMC SLR 03 2018 (carbon frame)
Groupset: shimano 105 5800, wheels: Campagnolo Zonda ,pedals: 105 R7000, weight: around 8.5kg PRICE 1250
which one do you suggesr? Thank you!!!

I'm going to say something that will probably be laughed at. Personally, I would not buy a used CF bike unless you have it scanned for internal damage by a professional. CF bikes can be damaged and leave very little evidence on the outside. Now the question that should be asked is why is the person selling a CF bike, do they know it was crashed and suspect something isn't right with the bike, perhaps making some sort of noise that's not normal and wasn't there prior to the crash, and now they want to unload it onto an unsuspecting buyer? Even a slight unseen internal or external crack could cause sudden frame, fork, or wheel failure.

CF is a very questionable product to buy used, even if a bike shop is selling it, most bike shops have no way to check the bike for any hidden damage, they took it in trade thinking the bike is ok.

That leaves the Cannondale, it's made of AL obviously, but you should check the frame over extensively to make sure nothing is bent or cracked. That bike will have a CF fork so take a quarter and tap on both blades from the top to the middle to the bottom of each blade and check to see if one blade sounds different than the other.

I'm not saying that all used bikes with CF frame and or forks and or wheels are all bad, just saying it's a bit of a gamble, and if that's a gamble you are willing to take then take it.

I'm going to say something that will probably be laughed at. Personally, I would not buy a used CF bike unless you have it scanned for internal damage by a professional. CF bikes can be damaged and leave very little evidence on the outside. Now the question that should be asked is why is the person selling a CF bike, do they know it was crashed and suspect something isn't right with the bike, perhaps making some sort of noise that's not normal and wasn't there prior to the crash, and now they want to unload it onto an unsuspecting buyer? Even a slight unseen internal or external crack could cause sudden frame, fork, or wheel failure.

CF is a very questionable product to buy used, even if a bike shop is selling it, most bike shops have no way to check the bike for any hidden damage, they took it in trade thinking the bike is ok.

That leaves the Cannondale, it's made of AL obviously, but you should check the frame over extensively to make sure nothing is bent or cracked. That bike will have a CF fork so take a quarter and tap on both blades from the top to the middle to the bottom of each blade and check to see if one blade sounds different than the other.

I'm not saying that all used bikes with CF frame and or forks and or wheels are all bad, just saying it's a bit of a gamble, and if that's a gamble you are willing to take then take it.
This is solid advice, heed it! This is no laughing matter!!

A lot of people sell their CF bikes after a hard crash, whether they know it's damaged or not, because a lot of damage is hidden on the inside of the frame rather than on the outside, so once they crash hard, they have second thoughts about riding it, so up for sale it goes. CF is fragile, a friend of mine had his bike leaning up against his workbench in his garage, his 3-year-old daughter came into the garage and accidentally bumped it causing it to hit a floor vise, the frame was toast after that, that was back in the day before CF repair places started to pop up, but it does go to show you how fragile CF is when used on bikes.

I have one bike with a CF fork, and I hit a pothole with it and tried to jump over the hole but I failed, I did the quarter-tapping thing when I got home and the blades sounded the same, so I continue to ride it 5 years after I hit the hole; was I lucky, I don't know, but I'm glad it didn't break.

Reactions: sevenall and xo 1

TRENDING THREADS