• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USPS secondhand Pro Bike for sale.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
As this is the Professional Road Racing section, here is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to own an actual bike raced by the USPS cycling team.

According to an ad in the Wall Street Journal, this bike has been cleaned and set aside for you pleasure.

Please contact President of the UCI's brother Mr. Darach McQuaid:
According to this Irish Times article the specifications are:
Then he says he’s got a bike for sale that Armstrong owned, that he’s going to put it on eBay but he’s willing to part with it for a decent price despite you dancing on Armstrong’s career.....
Lance Armstrong’s bike cutting through the Dublin traffic. Cool. Nice. Darach tells you how light it is. You ask will it break in half on a manhole cover. He says it’s super strong. You ask about the saddle – might it be bad for a gentleman who wishes to settle on a large family. Trying his patience you empty your entire cycling information locker on his head. He tells you the wheel size and frame spec. You ask him what colour it is.

It should be noted that Darach clarified that the bike is not Mr. Armstrongsas he said here on his twitter account.

Happy bidding. Cash only.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Fun times. From Mr. McQuaid's twitter:

@stephenfarrand just remember how many yrs of covering cycling (not) has led WSJ to be the paper of note....

Yep, just because they're one of the most respected publications in America doesn't mean they know how to ask people questions.

That's part of the reason why I'm glad this week the stories came from Sports Illustrated, the New York Times, and now the Wall Street Journal. They're all publications that Americans have trusted for years. Let Radio Shack try to claim that WSJ is wrong. Now if the French can step things up:D

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
As this is the Professional Road Racing section, here is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to own an actual bike raced by the USPS cycling team.

According to an ad in the Wall Street Journal, this bike has been cleaned and set aside for you pleasure.

Please contact President of the UCI's brother Mr. Darach McQuaid:
According to this Irish Times article the specifications are:

It should be noted that Darach clarified that the bike is not Mr. Armstrongsas he said here on his twitter account.

Happy bidding. Cash only.

So, beside cash donations, there's also bribery by bike? Interesting.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
So, beside cash donations, there's also bribery by bike? Interesting.
No, no.... times are tough.

Darach was promoter of the Tour of Ireland and this is not going ahead this year - if you remember last years race was on right before the Livestrong Global Summit was taking place in Dublin.

But good to see Darach enjoying himself in the Radio Shack team car at the Tour of California.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Sad part is I actually do have two of Armstrong's old bikes. A Motorola Merckx, one of two detailed in the magazine Road Bike Action in 1994. The other is a Motorola buit for Caloi by Eddy Merckx (actually Litespeed) Ti bike he rode in 1996. Good thing I like both bikes as they will more than likely be going down in value in the not too distant future.......:p

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
And you wonder why so few participate in the circle jerk that is The Clinic these days...you just couldn't follow forum rules, could you?

Does it come with a backdated TUE, transfusion kit, hookers, blow and a bunch of fawning hacks to declare me the son of god twice a day? If not, I'm not interested, if I am going to buy a Uniballer bike, I want the full experience.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:
And you wonder why so few participate in the circle jerk that is The Clinic these days...you just couldn't follow forum rules, could you?

Here are the forum rules:
Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

An actual Pro bike for sale - where else should it go?

Do you not have an opinion on how the brother of the President of the UCI ends up selling USPS bikes on ebay?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
An actual Pro bike for sale - where else should it go?

Do you not have an opinion on how the brother of the President of the UCI ends up selling USPS bikes on ebay?

Given that this is, at best, an obtuse reference to the Landis scandal, I can't imagine you didn't intend to poison another forum with the scandal.

My opinion? His brother likely got it as a bribe and now is trying to convert the bribe into cash.

And since a cadre of posters have painted me as an LA apologist (with absolutely NO merit, I might add), I guess the beatings will commence until I admit that logic an reason eludes BOTH sides of the argument...er, I mean that LA is an evil monster.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:
Given that this is, at best, an obtuse reference to the Landis scandal, I can't imagine you didn't intend to poison another forum with the scandal.

My opinion? His brother likely got it as a bribe and now is trying to convert the bribe into cash.

And since a cadre of posters have painted me as an LA apologist (with absolutely NO merit, I might add), I guess the beatings will commence until I admit that logic an reason eludes BOTH sides of the argument...er, I mean that LA is an evil monster.

You didn't answer my question - where should I put it? I did not give any reference to Clinic talk.

From the WSJ article we now know that bikes were going missing (we do not have to discuss for what reason) - and Darach McQuaid has a USPS bike to sell. You have stated your view that it may be a 'bribe', which is actually stronger than I would go but it does highlight the 'cosy' relationship between the McQuaids & USPS/Tailwind.

When have I ever painted you as an LA fanboy or apologist?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Remnants of previous seasons' equipment

Remember when Cyclingnews took a tour of the Radioshack service course?

p4190542_600.jpg

I always wondered what they were hanging on to those old Astana-blue bikes for, why they didn't donate them to charity, etc.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
@stephenfarrand just remember how many yrs of covering cycling (not) has led WSJ to be the paper of note

I realise Darach isn't a member of the UCI, but his opinions echo that of his father. I'm continually surprised how partisan this administrative body is. It defies credulity from a PR perspective.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
Sad part is I actually do have two of Armstrong's old bikes. A Motorola Merckx, one of two detailed in the magazine Road Bike Action in 1994. The other is a Motorola buit for Caloi by Eddy Merckx (actually Litespeed) Ti bike he rode in 1996. Good thing I like both bikes as they will more than likely be going down in value in the not too distant future.......:p

I think they actually could go up in value. Fans are weird and those that don't like him could be your market.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Before everyone gets all worked up, I'll point out that in many sports, equipment that the top competitors use often winds up in odd places. As to how this happens, well there are a multitude of paths. First and foremost, know that the teams, the competitors, and the manufactures all dole out to 2nd tier athletes, loyal employees, valued clients, and friends equipment that have been not chosen by the top tiered athlete. I know many people that have and had pro-stock skis, Olympic quality kayaks and canoes, and yes, bicycles that were atop a chase car in a grand tour. (A friend has the bike that followed Levi in the Giro.)

That these people then decide to sell said equipment is hardly an indictment against the team, or individual, that initially released it into the general public.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
I realise Darach isn't a member of the UCI, but his opinions echo that of his father. I'm continually surprised how partisan this administrative body is. It defies credulity from a PR perspective.
Ooooh - careful. Darach is not Pats son - he is Pats brother, you may have been mistaken with Pats son Andrew, who is an agent/manager to a number of ProTour riders.

dancing on pedals said:
brilliant journalism! A cross between Flann O'Brien and Spike Milligan.
why steal a watch when you could steal a bicycle?
thanks for that link - but who wrote it?
thanks
Article is written by Johhny Watterson - no idea who they are but the Irish Times is Irelands most respected newspaper and known as the 'paper of record'. Although objectivity on this piece appeared to go out the window during a few pints.

The 'story' is corroberated by Darach twitter, "I had told Irish Times journo that it was a USPS, not Lace owned bike, but nice article nonetheless".

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Before everyone gets all worked up, I'll point out that in many sports, equipment that the top competitors use often winds up in odd places. As to how this happens, well there are a multitude of paths. First and foremost, know that the teams, the competitors, and the manufactures all dole out to 2nd tier athletes, loyal employees, valued clients, and friends equipment that have been not chosen by the top tiered athlete. I know many people that have and had pro-stock skis, Olympic quality kayaks and canoes, and yes, bicycles that were atop a chase car in a grand tour. (A friend has the bike that followed Levi in the Giro.)

That these people then decide to sell said equipment is hardly an indictment against the team, or individual, that initially released it into the general public.

Agree to a point - surplus stock is often sold at the end of a season and bikes often become available through different sources.
Indeed I once had the opportunity (but sadly not the funds) to buy a Pro bike direct from a rider.

But there are 2 points that are different about Darach McQuaid.
The obvious is that he is possession of a USPS team issue Trek - I don't believe I need to articulate the conflict of interest with his brother being President of the UCI.

But equally worrying is according to the WSJ article is that half the bikes that were sold on did not come from 'authorized' sources and were not part of any agreement from the sponsor Trek.

TRENDING THREADS