• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valentin Iglinsky drunk driving and speeding

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Drinking plus drugs plus (massive) speeding will be a lot more than just a ticket.

he failed the drug test so no problem there. where was it? france? italy?

in netherlabnds speeiding 200 plus alcohol will get your license suspended for amount of time and a huge fine. but nothing else. I expect punishment in other european countrys to be even less

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
press release from the team:

Hello,

This is a Press Release from Pro Team Astana Communication Department.

Object: Official information about Valentin Iglinskiy's speeding sine.

Yesterday at 9pm, Valentin Iglinskiy got a speeding sine in Nice and was arrested by the french police.

Regarding his discussion with the police, their might be some misunderstanding, because Valentin can't understand and speak french, english or italian correctly. The team was astonished to learn that he signed a legal paper with statements in french, while he can't understand, speak and read this language.

Also the police made an alcohol test and a blood control. The report of this blood testing isn't known for the moment, we will communicate it as soon as the result will be given. So Valentin Iglinskiy refutes the statement from the French radio RTL that he was tested positive to cocaine. From its side, the UCI came this morning at the house of Valentin and made a blood test, the result of this test isn't know yet.

Also, Alexandre Vinokourov rejects the information stated in French Radio RTL that Valentin was just leaving his house, this is totally wrong, they didn't spend the evening together.

Also the Radio RTL stated that Valentin Iglinskiy, was engaged in Tour de France 2011, this is another mistake made by the french radio, because he never took part in this edition of Tour de France.

The team is really shocked that the information of this confidential case as been made public to the press, while no official results have been provided yet. Pro Team Astana has the right to take legal action against any inaccurate communication about this case and will officially communicate about it after the official results of blood testing will be know. Waiting for this result, Valentin Iglinskiy rejects the use of any drugs and he wishes to apology publicly for this breaking speed limit.

Thanks for attention,

Blandine ROQUELET
Pro Team Astana
Communication Department

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
in netherlabnds speeiding 200 plus alcohol will get your license suspended for amount of time and a huge fine. but nothing else. I expect punishment in other european countrys to be even less

Actually you lose your drivers license, lose the car and arent allowed to have your license back for the next 5 years. The worst of this all is that Iglinskiy not only brought himself in danger, but also other people. Sure if you want to party and do drugs and alcohol go ahead but dont f'ing let other people be at risk.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
_dsc3230_220.jpg

Valentin gets the party started.

On a serious note, it is bad that he had to sign a document in a language he doesn't know, if the press release is to be believed.

of course, speeding under the influence of alkohol is nothing to be prouf of, but I think we shouldn't be more papal than the pope, it's not that he was drunk or something, he hat 0,064% of alkohol when 0,05 were allowed, that's like drinking two glasses of wine or something like that (for a guy of his weight)

he will have to pay a couple of thousend euro (possibly not even lose his license as I don't think he's registered in france anyway) and that's it

not a smart move, but things like that do happen...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Maybe he and Heinrich Haussler should start hanging out together (Haussler has been done for DUI in switzerland and he loved the drink in the early stages of his pro career, and if he is to be believed, was up to 4am drinking on the morning of the day he won a stage at the Vuelta in 2005).

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I don't care if he drinks and I don't care if he uses cocaine. I don't really care he used them both at the same time, allthough it's not the wisest things to do.

What I do care about is that he decided to get into his car which was allready very very stupid and then he also decided to drive 200+km/ph. Idiot :/

well put exactly....

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
On a serious note, it is bad that he had to sign a document in a language he doesn't know, if the press release is to be believed.
The release doesn't suggest that he was forced or coerced into signing.

About the .064 mg/% level - it would take more than a couple of glasses of wine even at his body weight. Most areas have a driving limit of .05 to .10. Where I live you can lose your licence temporarily at .05 and be charged with a criminal offence at >.08. I did a controlled test once where I drank about 9-10 oz of rum in under an hour, felt like I wouldn't even consider looking at a car, and blew .07. Body weight, fat %, and prior consumption of food all affect the blood alcohol percentage, but .064 is never going to be too little booze to affect the ability to drive. Now, at 203 km/h with reduced coordination and reaction time... there is a possibility of making a dangerous driving criminal case out of that, or whatever the French equivalent is. Very poor judgement by Valentin.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

About the .064 mg/% level - it would take more than a couple of glasses of wine even at his body weight. Most areas have a driving limit of .05 to .10. Where I live you can lose your licence temporarily at .05 and be charged with a criminal offence at >.08. I did a controlled test once where I drank about 9-10 oz of rum in under an hour, felt like I wouldn't even consider looking at a car, and blew .07. Body weight, fat %, and prior consumption of food all affect the blood alcohol percentage, but .064 is never going to be too little booze to affect the ability to drive. Now, at 203 km/h with reduced coordination and reaction time... there is a possibility of making a dangerous driving criminal case out of that, or whatever the French equivalent is. Very poor judgement by Valentin.

.064 is not as much as you make it to be, and from my experiences with alco tests, they are VERY representative of how drunk you feel, but not too representative of how much you drank (as they in fact should be). .08 is lower limit of "tipsy", and .11 is "drunk". I think in most countries penalties are graded with those numbers in mind

Even .01 affects your reaction time, so the golden rule (for me at least) is if you consumed alcohol and you want to drive, drive slowly, and nothing bad should happen. What makes him an idiot is not .064, its 203.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If Valentin Iglinsky is charged and receives a criminal record as a result (like a good behaviour bond), would that affect his ability to get a visa to race in most (Western) European countries?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Actually you lose your drivers license, lose the car and arent allowed to have your license back for the next 5 years. The worst of this all is that Iglinskiy not only brought himself in danger, but also other people. Sure if you want to party and do drugs and alcohol go ahead but dont f'ing let other people be at risk.

I know this guy who speeded at 190 with alcohol and still has his license... he lost it for a year I think or maybe a little more. maybe he lost his car too but he now has a car on registered to a friends name

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
Driving 200+ while under influence isn't just a stupid thing, it's putting yourself and other drivers in terrible danger. Driving more than a 100 kilometers over the speed limit drunk is near criminal behavior, why shouldn't we judge a complete fool who acts like that?

yeah this.

getting the car drunk is bad enough, that is very dangerous.

In Australia he'd be pretty ****ed.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

"Force" and "coercion" don't enter into it if Iglinsky really was instructed to sign papers in a language he cannot understand. It is impossible to voluntarily and knowingly agree to the contents of a document one cannot comprehend. If this fact about the police document is true, it represents completely shameful police misconduct. The police should have taken blood/breath tests and left it at that or gone to the trouble of finding an interpreter. Obviously, driving 100kph over the speed limit is shameful, as well, and much more so if under the influence.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
nesocip said:
... from my experiences with alco tests, they are VERY representative of how drunk you feel...
For the average person, perhaps. I have seen people walking and talking normally with blood alcohol concentrations well in excess of .400, one guy over .600. I would probably die long before I got there. My experience at .070 was feeling drunk, not tipsy. Others taking the test felt pretty much the same at the same level. People with the proper background in chemistry and biology can usually provide an accurate estimation of how much alcohol was consumed, based on the blood alcohol concentration, body weight, time of last meal, etc.

ergmonkey said:
"Force" and "coercion" don't enter into it if Iglinsky really was instructed to sign papers in a language he cannot understand. It is impossible to voluntarily and knowingly agree to the contents of a document one cannot comprehend. If this fact about the police document is true, it represents completely shameful police misconduct. The police should have taken blood/breath tests and left it at that or gone to the trouble of finding an interpreter. Obviously, driving 100kph over the speed limit is shameful, as well, and much more so if under the influence.
That's just it, we don't know what happened. Although I would disagree with you by saying that, if he was "instructed" to sign a document he did not comprehend by an authority figure, he was essentially forced to do so. We don't know how well he can communicate in French. We are not in position to suggest what the police should have done. However, I would not be surprised if his ability to understand French took a sudden turn for the worse after consulting with his advisors.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I would not be surprised if his ability to understand French took a sudden turn for the worse after consulting with his advisors.

I've been wondering about that, too. Anybody know how long he's been living (not just racing) in Europe?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the Russian/Ukraine/Belarus/Kazakh members of the peloton do reside in Italy, does anybody have any idea where actually does live during the racing season?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
does anybody have any idea where actually does live during the racing season?
not sure, but it's either monaco (where his brother maxim lives) or, more likely, italy since he speaks some italian (i base this on his interview on the team's site)

'what are your qualities ?'

'velocità' he answered in italian.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeah this.

getting the car drunk is bad enough, that is very dangerous.

In Australia he'd be pretty ****ed.

If he did that in australia he lose his license for a very long time, receive a big fine and possibly head off to the big house especially with the cocaine in his system.

That guy is a ***.