• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Avermaet a proven classics rider!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GvA was always a promosing rider just as Gilbert in his early years.
GvA just has more trouble actually winning stuff. He's always up there but always seems to somehow lose. He's getting awfully close to winnign a big one though.
Paris-Tours is not going to stand as his biggest victory that's for sure.

Marco Pantani said:
Today made him a future contender. He never convinced me before.

I stick to my prediction in 2018 thread that it's the year he would win something big finally :D But the truth is I'm not really sure. I jumped off my couch yesterday and shouted his name (for the first time ever) when the camera cut to the front view at the sprint, I stupidly thought he got it, I was so deluded, until they crossed the line, and I fell into silence. Oh, Greg...

Afrank said:
Yep, great riding by him today. One day he'll win a classic, I still believe! Hopefully one day soon.

I hope. His luck will change. And at the moment he seems to be the the big points earner for BMC. Gilbert can hopefully do something but Cadel's career is winding down. The Giro will probably decide how much longer he goes.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Can't even remember myself writing this 3 years ago. Must have sounded like a delusional fanboy back then. But anyway GVA has always been the star performer in BMC. He never disappoints year after year where as other bigger names have always disappointed. I really want him to get a monument real soon.

Volderke said:
Greg needs a mental coach. Legs are super, brain is missing.
I am available, Greg. Call me.

:confused:

What did he do wrong. He played it brilliantly. When everyone was sitting in the group he initiated the attack and went all out , kinda like roelands last year. Then when canc does his usual, and everyone who stayed in the group was being dropped and out of the race, including riders like Sagan who were probably on better form, guess who is out in front just as canc goes over the top, ready to latch on to the wheel. Gva, and he gets the podium and shot at victory out of it.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
GvA was always a promosing rider just as Gilbert in his early years.
GvA just has more trouble actually winning stuff. He's always up there but always seems to somehow lose. He's getting awfully close to winnign a big one though.
Paris-Tours is not going to stand as his biggest victory that's for sure.
You sure? This was his chance, he's not going to be able to follow the heads of state when he's in their wheel on the Kwaremont or whatever.

It was a performance like Roelandts last year: good, gutsy, but not indicative of future success in Monuments.

theyoungest said:
You sure? This was his chance, he's not going to be able to follow the heads of state when he's in their wheel on the Kwaremont or whatever.

It was a performance like Roelandts last year: good, gutsy, but not indicative of future success in Monuments.

I do not agree. GvA is, on a good day, able to follow Vanmarcke / Cancellara.
He would have followed in PR2013 IF he didn't do a lot of stupid counters before Cancellara went clear on Camphin-en-Pevele, with only Stybar able to follow at that moment. He lost five meters on Cancellara there, but struggled a long time and just couldn't make it.
Just to prove he is not a Roelandts type of rider. He has a bigger and longer-going engine. The problem is, when he is good, he jumps on every wheel of attackers even if he doesn't need to... This has cost him so many wins and it makes me a little angry.

Anecdote: When he was in the studio of Sporza after RVV they asked him:
SPORZA: "why did you counter Vandenbergh in the last kilometer?
GvA: "Vandenbergh is a dangerous attacker and I couldn't let him go."
SPORZA: "But Cancellara and Vanmarcke were in your wheel, why didn't you let them go after Vandenbergh?"
GvA: (silence and looking annoyed)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Volderke is right. Van Avermaet is way more complete and has a bigger engine than Roelandts, but he jumps at everything.

He reminds me of Boogerd :D who could've won 4x LBL, 6x AGR and at least 3x Lombardia if he was a lot smarter

True he's better than him but that ain't a guarantee to win a big one. Vanmarcke on the other hand...well that's just a matter of time.

Rewatching the race, it's incredible how he still managed to finish 2nd after the puncture right before Paterberg. Makes you wonder how the sprint would have unfolded if he hadn't punctured.

Tactics wise, his attack before Taaienberg was very stupid. EBH, Devenyns and Vandenbergh slipped away only 2k or something before, and they had a decent gap already. Either go with them (although I think at that point he only just rejoined the first group after that puncture so it's understandable he didn't), or wait for them to get caught and try later. But don't try to close a 20" gap or so on your own vs 3 strong riders.

The Hitch said:
:confused:

What did he do wrong. He played it brilliantly. When everyone was sitting in the group he initiated the attack and went all out , kinda like roelands last year. Then when canc does his usual, and everyone who stayed in the group was being dropped and out of the race, including riders like Sagan who were probably on better form, guess who is out in front just as canc goes over the top, ready to latch on to the wheel. Gva, and he gets the podium and shot at victory out of it.

He did not do much wrong. It was a good time to attack and just a shame that the guy he was with sat on most of the way. One thing he has to stop doing though is rolling to the front in the last km but the result would not have been different. Also when the riders behind caught him he was entitled to sit in a bit more and conserve his energy. Going turn for turn was admirable but probably not too smart. Gutsy ride but Cancellara was the smart ride.

jsem94 said:
GVA is a rider that could actually podium in at least 4 of the 5 monuments, and if he is lucky actually win them. He just needs to start winning these kinds of sprints. You can't lose a sprint vs. Stannard.

Stannard is an ex track rider. Most of them can sprint well especially at the end of a long race. GVA could have just been more fatigued than Stannard and it's been years since GVA was a decent bunch sprinter but never with the best sprinters. GVA is getting closer and getting stronger. I think it's just a matter of time.

He deserves his thread to be bumped after today doesn't he?

Very nice win by Greg. Classy rider and I really like him, also his racing attitude. Always on the offense, always very close, but rarely wins. The better are his wins :)

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) doesn’t win often, collecting far more placings and disappointments than victories because of his lack of a finishing sprint.

The first lines on CN.com article about Greg winning today.
Hmmm yeh he definately lacks a sprint .... :rolleyes:

Re:

Kwibus said:

Very nice win by Greg. Classy rider and I really like him, also his racing attitude. Always on the offense, always very close, but rarely wins. The better are his wins :)

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) doesn’t win often, collecting far more placings and disappointments than victories because of his lack of a finishing sprint.

Can I remind you he couldn't pass Ian Stannard.

Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Kwibus said:

Can I remind you he couldn't pass Ian Stannard.

But Sagan could not pass him.

TRENDING THREADS