• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Avermaet a proven classics rider!

May 27, 2010
Visit site
van avermaet really shone today in lbl, being the last of his breakway to clinge on to the schlecks and gilbert. managing to get a top 10 even sprinting away from the group. I believe he has great potential for the upcoming years. Also he shone in milan san remo! He has taken the role of a leader in BMC and has really improved from his years in lotto. He has finally fulfilled his potential. he is really another belgian to watch out for other than of cos gilbert.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure anyone doubted his potential.
The guy has shown signs in these sort of races before.

The ardennes can be difficult to control.

I don't ever see him being a gilbert or valverde dominance, but he could win a classic some day.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
His spring was about as good as Gilbert at that age (2008), only difference is Gilbert did win some races then...

I sensed major potential in gilbert even before 08 then. I don't get the same feeling with GvA. But I do think he is going to devolp into one of the ardennes elite.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch kinda doubted GvA saying he is not an ardennes rider but he has proven today! He was more of a sprinter in lotto and wasnt thatgreat. good thing he lost all the weight.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Sasquatch kinda doubted GvA saying he is not an ardennes rider but he has proven today! He was more of a sprinter in lotto and wasnt thatgreat. good thing he lost all the weight.

DNFTT...greg wasn't really a sprinter at lotto but he has lost a bit of weight. He was dissapointed with his ride in Amstel but his ride in Liege was quite good.

But where can he win races?

He will never beat Gilbert, nor is he as good as the Schlecks etc in a race like this.

I'm not sure he will ever win a monument or major classic, but could win smaller races.

Stuck in a similar place to Alby Davis where he is good sprinting from a small group but not good enough to win against an elite opposition in a tough classic.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, over the entire classics season hes the only BMC rider to have stood out.

But yes, he was strong in MSR at the start, and strong in LBL at the finish. Pure classics guy, dont know. Hes certainly got regular top tens in him but I dont think he has the edge to seriously contend.

Shame i had him in my fantasy team from Paris Roubiax until Fleche Wallone. :/

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
He can never beat Gilbert?

GVA at age 26(2011): MS:9th, RVV:22th, AGR: 24th, LBL: 7th
Phill at age 26(2008): MS:3th, RVV:15th, AGE: 19th, LBL: 92th

But like I said: Gilbert did win the Omloop het Volk in a very impressive manner, that spring. But GVA's Sanrema was just as good as Gilbert's, his LBL a lot better.

I must admit I was ready to give up hope on GVA, but I was proven very wrong.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Greg really caught my eye at MSR with his attempt at getting away. When he got his lead, I was rooting for the guy and I wanted to see him win. He's still fairly young and has alot of good years ahead of him. Although he may not reach Gilbert's level, I do see him winning a major classic down the road.

Think he put in a great M-SR showing this yr. He along with Ballan and Hincapie have raced well this yr. Imagine if Cadel was at the Ardennes too. I think GVA has great potential and could foreseeably in the future win a few major classics. I think next yr he should target G-W. Also last yr he finished 5th in worlds and launched Gilbert up the Challambra Crescent, it was Gilbert's to win

TeamSkyFans said:
To be honest, over the entire classics season hes the only BMC rider to have stood out.

But yes, he was strong in MSR at the start, and strong in LBL at the finish. Pure classics guy, dont know. Hes certainly got regular top tens in him but I dont think he has the edge to seriously contend.

Shame i had him in my fantasy team from Paris Roubiax until Fleche Wallone. :/

I disagree. Ballan rode well at MSR, Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix where he fell twice. GVA has been more consistent over the entire Spring but neither rider could get on the podium unfortunately. GVA might have more success going for stage victories in grand tours but I still think he could improve in future classics. But will it be good enough to beat Cancellara, Gilbert and co.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah GVA seems a better fit at BMC. I think San Remo is the race that suits him best. This year he attacked early and BMC had Ballan stay in the group when they probably would have been better off the other way around because GVA is faster.

Stuck in a similar place to Alby Davis where he is good sprinting from a small group but not good enough to win against an elite opposition in a tough classic.

sort of but he is a better rider than alby. I See LBL, Amstel and Flanders as the other classics that he has a good shot at. The finish at FW is just too steep for him and I suspect always will be. But the flatter run ins to the finish at Flanders, LBL and San Remo will allow him to be competative when he becomes a touch stronger. His sprint will come in very handy in one of these races.

Also If GVA didn't tear himself apart at the WC for Gilbert last year he would have been on the podium at worst.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
GVA is really amazing today. Attacking 30k out, never looked back, rode like a man.

Epic necropost. Too bad he still doesn't have the WorldTour win even since the last time this thread was active. There's always next year...

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
woodenswan said:
consistent rider.

Don't know any rider who can be so consistent in getting top ten places throughout the season and throughout different terrain! It's crazy actually. He should try winning the York stage at le tour, I think he has a great shot at that one.

TRENDING THREADS