• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Varying sentences

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The latest suspensions:

• Thomas Dekker (NED): 2 years.

• Mikel Astarloza (ESP): 2 years and €154,570.

• Hector Guerra Garcia (ESP): 2 years and €35,000.

• Gabriele Bosisio (ITA): 2 years and €9,625.

• Kacper Szczepaniak (POL): 4 years and €1,680.

• Pawel Szczepaniak (POL): 8 years and €750.

• Alberto Fernandez De La Puebla Ramos (ESP): 2 years and €42,000.

• Isidro Nozal Vega (ESP) : 2 years and €17,500.

Pawel Szczepaniak an under 23 gets 8 years compared to established pros getting 2 years.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I had read that - it is unbelieveable.

Does anyone on here know why the Szczepaniak brothers were hit with such long sanctions from the Polish Federation?

8 years is usually reserved for a second offence.

I am sure the Szczepaniak brothers have the resources to bring their case to CAS :rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
perhaps the same reason hamilton got 8 years - 2nd proven offense.

in some cases a rider with 2 proven offenses may show mitigating circumstances or cooperation with nada and be given leniency of a reduced sentence.

either way, individual nadas are highly inconsistent in their application of wada code.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
perhaps the same reason hamilton got 8 years - 2nd proven offense.

in some cases a rider with 2 proven offenses may show mitigating circumstances or cooperation with nada and be given leniency of a reduced sentence.

either way, individual nadas are highly inconsistent in their application of wada code.

Actually I think I may have worked out why the older brother Pawel admitted he was one who bought the 'vitamins' and was probably given the extra 4 years for 'supplying' Kacper.

If anyone has information to confirm/deny that theory I would appreciate it.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
As Peter was saying, Pawel already took testosterone and received a one year sentence in 2006, whereas Kacper was disqualified from the Polish championships in 2007
http://sport.wp.pl/kat,1848,title,Szczepaniakowie-rezygnuja-z-probki-B,wid,12080609,wiadomosc.html?ticaid=1a38b

Google translate from the polish website:
In the case of an older one - Paul, who was already punished the annual ban on take-offs for doping (testosterone) after the Polish Championship in Slubice in 2006, is at stake lifetime disqualification. In turn, Kacper Szczepaniak has scored a warning and disqualification from the national championships in Kozienice in 2007 for the preparation stimulating named niketamid.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
p e t e r said:
Pawel had been previously suspended for a year. He doped himself with testosterone bought on the internet.

Chapeau Sir...... this is why I like this site - always some well informed posters around.

Indeed both brothers have had sanctions in the past.

Pawel at the tender age of 17 was given a 1 suspension for testosterone.

Kasper - also 17 at the time -was given a fine for not possesing a TUE for nikethamide.

(EDIT; beaten to it by 'bossohboss', thanks for clearing that up)