• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ventoux - need advice on viewing stage

Any insight from those with experience appreciated . . .

Current plan is to get up before the sun, take the D164 from Sault, park as close to Le Chalet-Reynard as possible, walk the rest of the way to the race route. Anyone have a clue how close I will be able to get to Le Chalet-Reynard before all parkable spaces are gone? Have used similar tactics for other mountain stages in the past, but am worried Ventoux will be a different animal. Thoughts?

[Riding is not an option - Mrs. Red Lobster is along and while she will walk up/down mountains with me all day she's not riding up an HC col in the summer heat.]

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Red Lobster said:
Any insight from those with experience appreciated . . .

Current plan is to get up before the sun, take the D164 from Sault, park as close to Le Chalet-Reynard as possible, walk the rest of the way to the race route. Anyone have a clue how close I will be able to get to Le Chalet-Reynard before all parkable spaces are gone? Have used similar tactics for other mountain stages in the past, but am worried Ventoux will be a different animal. Thoughts?

[Riding is not an option - Mrs. Red Lobster is along and while she will walk up/down mountains with me all day she's not riding up an HC col in the summer heat.]

Try about one week before !

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
About watching on Ventoux

Went in 2000 (Armstrong v Pantani) and 2002 and will this year. Also been to Dauphine a few times since.

You may not need to get up before sun, but that depends where you start from.

Your route is fine, but from Bedoin, on the race route, might be better: everyone avoids the race route so the others (from Sault and Malaucene) are much busier. There will be signs up the day before, saying when the race route closes to cars. I suspect it will probably be about 9 am, if they arrive on Ventoux approx mid afternoon.

We did this both times and were able to park approx 1/2 mile below Chalet Reynard, towards the top of the forest.

The atmosphere at C.R. is great: it's a bar so that helps, there's lots of space and there is a big video wall so you can follow the race after it has passed. It will be packed with people there.

I'd suggest hang around Chalet Reynard till a while before the race arrives and walk higher up to see them pass, so you can see anything), then walk back to C.R and watch the rest of the stage on the video wall. (It's not as good to be higher up, but not at the finish, as you can't see the race once it's passed and the atmosphere isn't as good as at C.R.

I've driven down towards Sault after the stage but never come up from there. The cars on the side of the road have gone on for miles, so if you want to take that route it might be worth leaving earlier. On the other hand, the scenery is beautiful from that direction, so if you have to walk for a couple of miles it shouldn't be a hardship. (But don't forget how unbearably hot it can be. In the afternoon that side will be in shade but in the morning it will be full sun, esp after approx 10 - 11am.)

Afterwards, in the evening, the atmosphere in Bedoin and Malaucene are great, but don't try and drive straight down the mountain to them - you'll sit in a traffic jam for hours, esp if trying to go to Malaucene. Leave via the Sault route and then approach them from other directions.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to do exactly as described (Bedoin route) so if it all goes wrong take pleasure in the knowledge I'm suffering too.

I suspect it will be busier than ever this year, as is last but one day, so a bit more time might be wise.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
censington's nailed it with the post above.

Drive up from Sault and there are not too many parking places and these will be hogged by camper vans for days before. You risk a VERY long walk even if you leave before sunrise.

Personally I'd drive to Malaucene and then up to the Mont Serein resort, from where you can take forest trails up to the top of the mountain.

Remember to bring things to last all day, like warm clothing, food, drink and maybe a blanket to sit on.

A

Anonymous

weve got the best view.. little parisien bar, large screen tv, comfy chairs, coffee table and a nice cold freshly poured kronenbourg...

one year though.. the wife is very upset about the concept of climbing a mountain.. strangely.. i thought she be up for it.. maybe its a little soon to mention it when shes only been riding two months.. :D

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
i'll be cycling this in the morning of the day of the race so not a problem for me

but. our kid has a health issue which means he can't walk for more than a few hundred yards and cycling is out of the question

we'll get there the day before by car, can we drive it up then, and have a sleep in vehicle?

or is there some kind of bus service taking people to the top on the day or the day before?

fancy being near the summit

May 21, 2009
Visit site
This is super helpful, thanks.
We're hightailing it to Ventoux after S17, skipping Annecy TT and the plains stage before hand.

Any other tips? We have a campervan and were planning on smashing out (see http://www.shredquest.com/travel/france09/france-pour-le-tour-itinerary/) a ride the day before. But it sounds like it might make sense to get there a day before and sort our business out, say, park at Serein?

What do you guys think? We're coming over from Oz, and I have NO idea how to best manage this.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I should mention I'll have a load of heavy camera gear, so, it probably makes sense to park at Serein the night/day before? We're already doing L'Etape, but I wouldn't mind doing it the day before.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of riding up the race route that morning to Serein or now that I have read this - to CR. Or, because we are not watching Stages 18 and 19, we were going to get there a day or two early. Makes sense to park at Serein the day before (?) or someone else?

Is there a problem with that?

We have a campervan we are happy to park wherever . We're heading across to St Jean de Maurienne the next day so I can spend 2 days smashing Croix de Fer, D'Huez, Galibier etc etc (before heading home to delightful wintery Melbourne AU all tanned and lean), so we should park on the West side yes?

Be good to get people's ideas on this bearing in mind we have a campervan and I have camera gear

We don't mind riding up there in the morning (with camera gear, I have web access so will be twittering roadside all day and do mini video interviews with people), but equally don't mind parking somewhere the day before and riding down in the morning, then back up before roads are closed, so

1/ If we drive up the day before, where might we park so we can get off the mountain straight after the rac (though staying on and partying seems fun :) ) This option means we have spare clothing, food etc during the day

2/ If we park somewhere down the bottom, and ride up, where should we do that from, bearing in mind we need to ride off the mountain the same day...

Thanks!
Tim

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure you want to skip the Annecy TT?

This will be a beautiful stage around the beautiful clear blue waters of the lake and it's a great chance to watch the riders go past. Also, head up the valley from Annecy to Thones and you will find the best Alpine riding in France (unlike St Jean de Maurienne which is ok but the Maurienne valley is filled with large highways, industrial plants and crowded roads).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You might as well take in the big climbs but it's often the case that what looks great in the Tour is not so good when the road is busy with traffic.

The Galibier is great but do it from the Maurienne Valley, climbing up the Telegraphe to Valloire and then onto the top. The other side has the Lautaret which is a big, wide and ugly road.

Enjoy the riding around Ventoux, towards Sault there are some excellent roads.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Reply to Workingclasshero

Re driving up Ventoux the day before:

You can do that, and it's the only normal way you'll be able to get near the top without literally miles of walking, which your child can't do. You'd have to leave early the day before to get high though. Problem is, without a camper van or similar, there is absolutely nothing to do up there and no facilities, unless you are very near the top, where there is a pretty poor cafe just before the final bend. It's also bloody cold at night (so I'm told, and I know it's freezing early in the morning.) Go for it if you don't mind those things, but two days up there is more than I could bear.

The only option I know of, which a friend of mine did and raves about, but which is unusual, is to hire a scooter and go up with your child on that. You could then go up on the day of the race and park pretty much wherever you like. It might not work for you at all, and I don't know how he arranged it, but Google or local tourist office might help.

Am not aware of buses or similar and I haven't seen any in the past, but there may be. One of the Vaucluse (regional) website's might tell you or TdF website.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
censington said:
Re driving up Ventoux the day before:

You can do that, and it's the only normal way you'll be able to get near the top without literally miles of walking, which your child can't do. You'd have to leave early the day before to get high though. Problem is, without a camper van or similar, there is absolutely nothing to do up there and no facilities, unless you are very near the top, where there is a pretty poor cafe just before the final bend. It's also bloody cold at night (so I'm told, and I know it's freezing early in the morning.) Go for it if you don't mind those things, but two days up there is more than I could bear.

The only option I know of, which a friend of mine did and raves about, but which is unusual, is to hire a scooter and go up with your child on that. You could then go up on the day of the race and park pretty much wherever you like. It might not work for you at all, and I don't know how he arranged it, but Google or local tourist office might help.

Am not aware of buses or similar and I haven't seen any in the past, but there may be. One of the Vaucluse (regional) website's might tell you or TdF website.

thanks very much mate!!
especially the scooter thing sounds interesting.

much appreciated

will check this vaucluse thing out also

.... just done it, seems like hard work, the french aren't into english are they! well i'll keep looking for an e-mail addy for the tourist office.

oh just a heads up - our kid means younger brother ;)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
To Projectheresy

I agree with Stani re good rides around Sault / Ventoux.

2 suggestions:

Ride the Gorges de la Nesque from Villes-sur-Auzon, on the west side, to the top, and then to Sault, on the east side. It is not a proper mountain pass (there aren't any in Provence) but it looks like one and it's very satisfying. The Gorge and the views are beautiful. From the summit back to Villes sur Auzon is a fun, but safe descent as well. The side from Sault to the top is less impressive but fine. Make it part of a longer ride, anywhere you choose around it is fine. Villes-sur-Auzon and Sault are very nice, typical Provence villages and Sault has great views of Ventoux.

The Col du Murs is also good, and harder. It is a bit further south but not far at all. A good 100 km ride would be:

Apt - Gordes - Murs - Venasque - Abbaye de Sénanque - Gordes - Apt

The Col du Murs has been the prelude to Mt Ventoux in TdF a few times so is good to ride for that, and done in the direction above, the climb from Gordes and past Murs, to the top of Col du Murs, has some great views and the descent to Venasque is good: off camber bends, rock faces infront of you, etc. Trying to beat your last time down isn't responsible, but it is exhilarating.

Venasque is a great a place for lunch (on the terrace of the lesser of the two small hotels there.) The road from Venasque to Abbaye de Sénanque has a good climb and descent, with a short, dull flat bit in the middle.

Have a good time.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Riding from Bedoin on Race Morning?

All of the suggestions in this thread sound great. I have a couple of questions related to race day, and the ride up Ventoux from Bedoin:

Is there any risk that they won't allow bicycle traffic up the race route, if we are planning on starting around 9am?

How crowded should we expect the road to be in the morning, assuming that it's closed to vehicular traffic?

If we were to ride to near the top, how slow will the descent be, after the stage has completed? The Chalet Reynard suggestion sounds great, however... I assume the same issues will exist if descending from CR?

Any opinions, experiences, etc.. are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Riding from Bedoin on Race Morning?

I think you'll be able to cycle up until shortly before the publicity caravan arrives, which will get to the bottom at about 1.30. They'll shut the road from Bedoin to cars by about 9am if it is the same as the last couple of times. There'll be no problem cycling until much later. The last bit at the top that is behind barriers might be more of a problem, but you can walk. It won't be too crowded on the road going up. Will be plenty of room to cycle. Not all that many people drive up the route on the day. Re getting down, this should be fine by bike in any direction, but there'll be more people on the road back to Bedoin which will slow you down a lot. That will only be a problem at the top towards Malaucene. The problem going down is by car - if you are on the race route and want to go down to Malaucene you have to wait for them to take down the finish before you can get over the top. And if you come down to Bedoin you have to wait for endless camper vans to do u-turns cos they've parked facing up the mountain. The descent from CR will be OK either to Sault or Bedoin.

Here's a map with road restrictions and times.

http://www.ventoux-stage-france-2009.co.uk/Portals/133/stationnement0709_gb.jpg

TRENDING THREADS