• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 547 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Some numbers today courtesy ammattipyoraily, fastest Uran 6:10 min, Nibali 6:17. Last year he climbed it in 5:45.
Not entirely fair in my opinion, but last year he dropped everyone by at least 3s+ in sunny weather. Today he was 10-15 slower in relative terms I gues.

Last year he wasn't even going all out, he was just controlling behind Visconti and accelerated when it was a done deal. Anyway a quick look at weather in Civiglio, Como next week says cloudy, showers, 40% chance of rain. Who knows?

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Some numbers today courtesy ammattipyoraily, fastest Uran 6:10 min, Nibali 6:17. Last year he climbed it in 5:45.
Not entirely fair in my opinion, but last year he dropped everyone by at least 3s+ in sunny weather. Today he was 10-15 slower in relative terms I gues.

Last year he wasn't even going all out, he was just controlling behind Visconti and accelerated when it was a done deal. Anyway a quick look at weather in Civiglio, Como next week says cloudy, showers, 40% chance of rain. Who knows?
Did he do Emilia in 2015?

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:

Did he do Emilia in 2015?

No, but he won Bernocchi and Tre Valli, second in Agostoni, third in Pantani.

Re:

Red Rick said:
It rained today. Nibali is always better in the rain. If it's dry in Il Lombardia I don't think he has a chance.

Just some days ago Nibali would have dropped like a stone here, while today he was there with the best.
Sure rain helps him a big deal, but very good signs all things considered.
Enough to have a say in Lombardy?! Probably not, but who knows, especially if it's bad weather...

Climbing said:
Red Rick said:
It rained today. Nibali is always better in the rain. If it's dry in Il Lombardia I don't think he has a chance.

Just some days ago Nibali would have dropped like a stone here, while today he was there with the best.
Sure rain helps him a big deal, but very good signs all things considered.
Enough to have a say in Lombardy?! Probably not, but who knows, especially if it's bad weather...

He will have to make the difference on Civiglio or at least to attack on the descent, after that head down and full gas. This year from top of Civiglio to the line the route is shorter with 3 km, it's 13.6 km. The last bump is Monte Olimpino, 1750 m, 5.7% with a max of 9% for something that looks like maybe 100 meters and when the descent finishes it's almost the flamme rouge. I'm very curious what will he do in Tre Valli.

TBM’s line-up for Tre Valli Varesine: Vincenzo Nibali, Franco Pellizotti, Hermann Pernsteiner, Giovanni Visconti, Antonio Nibali, Kristijan Koren and Manuele Boaro

"With the new ascent – analyzes Nibali – there will be even more selection than usual. I raced on Saturday and the feelings were good and I think I can have a good race both at the Tre Valli and next Saturday at Il Lombardia “.

It's coming...

tenor.gif

Re:

Sestriere said:
I just read in the article on the main page that he will ride the Chrono des Nations on sunday. Where did that decission come from??
I they think riding the extra ITT in a season will help him for next year. And I get it, he hasn't done any ITT in good form this year.

"I'm chasing them like two lines on a graph,"

No language I ever expected to hear from a cyclist :eek: :D

Red Rick said:
Sestriere said:
I just read in the article on the main page that he will ride the Chrono des Nations on sunday. Where did that decission come from??
I they think riding the extra ITT in a season will help him for next year. And I get it, he hasn't done any ITT in good form this year.

No language I ever expected to hear from a cyclist
:eek: :D

It doesn't make much sense, though.

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Sestriere said:

It is if he's talking about asymptotes.

Let me believe Nibbles is secretly math wizard

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Sestriere said:

It doesn't make much sense to have two lines on one graph, unless if it's a graph of a piece-wise defined function... Maybe if it's two graphs, it'll make sense. It's definitely an error in translation, though ;)

And who's the clownfish above supposed to be? Valverde?

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Sestriere said:

It doesn't make much sense to have two lines on one graph, unless if it's a graph of a piece-wise defined function... Maybe if it's two graphs, it'll make sense. It's definitely an error in translation, though ;)

And who's the clownfish above supposed to be? Valverde?
I have no idea. Just another day in the mysterious world of Nibali metaphores

Team BAHRAIN MERIDA Sports Director Alberto Volpi:

“We were not favorites, but we wanted to make a good race for this reason we were covered in group and then we try with Giovanni. Even today Vincenzo has given good signs and going towards Lombardy I can say that he appears to be growing, calm and master of the situation. I am confident that Saturday will be among the protagonists”.

Re:

Laplaz said:
Decent performance today, maybe he should have followed Uran but it's easier said than done.
Btw, someone knows if he is riding Tour of Guangxi?
Apparently he's scheduled for Chrono des Nations after Lombardia.
Then I imagine he'll go to Taiwan KOM Challenge since already last year was sent there by Merida and ASO announced him for Saitama Criterium a couple of days ago.

Nirvana said:
Laplaz said:
Decent performance today, maybe he should have followed Uran but it's easier said than done.
Btw, someone knows if he is riding Tour of Guangxi?
Apparently he's scheduled for Chrono des Nations after Lombardia.
Then I imagine he'll go to Taiwan KOM Challenge since already last year was sent there by Merida and ASO announced him for Saitama Criterium a couple of days ago.
Gotta capitalize on that peak shape no?