• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vino not pay

Doesn't have to pay a year's salary for positive test. Other riders paid up, I wonder how they feel now.

The CAS has ruled that the document was not in fact legally binding, but merely a public relations exercise to restore some credibility to cycling in the wake of the Puerto affair and Floyd Landis’ testing positive after winning the 2006 Tour.

In a further ruling, CAS said Alberto Contador will not be sanctioned, because the anti-doping rules are not legally binding, but merely a public relations exercise.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...not-owe-UCI-a-years-salary.aspx#ixzz12wOgSRhY

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Doesn't have to pay a year's salary for positive test. Other riders paid up, I wonder how they feel now.

In a further ruling, CAS said Alberto Contador will not be sanctioned, because the anti-doping rules are not legally binding, but merely a public relations exercise.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...not-owe-UCI-a-years-salary.aspx#ixzz12wOgSRhY

Also in the news: the drug they found in AC's sample was actually a mix of jet fuel and nitroglycerin. They only called it "Clenbuterol" as a public relations exercise.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Good. I don't like forced "I will voluntarily be killed if I misbehave" messages. Will never be the solution for a problem.

I suppose other riders can get back their money.

In fact, it will be the only solution to ending the doping problem.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Good. I don't like forced "I will voluntarily be killed if I misbehave" messages. Will never be the solution for a problem.

You do realize they voluntarily signed these agreements, don't you? As conditions of their employment?? :(

Kind of like agreeing to workplace drug tests, then you get pinched for cannibus, and suddenly you say, "I don't like forced agreements". Wonderful. Either don't sign, or don't hit the waterbong the next time it comes around!

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
When the boss(es) agree to the same restrictions and when it states everyone found dirty will be subject to the same penalties, that's when you sign.

One year's salary was always an unrealistic amount that would not be payable by many riders. Taxes take a huge bite. Then comes living expenses. Live below your means, save aggresively, and it still could take five years or more to come up with the fine.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Vino no money, Vino pay you goat.

How Vino pay if no money? Vino goat when take drug. Vino rule he sign paper no pay when ride like mountain goat. Vino not pay. Vino rich. Word.

chaka1.jpg

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
One year's salary was always an unrealistic amount that would not be payable by many riders. Taxes take a huge bite. Then comes living expenses. Live below your means, save aggresively, and it still could take five years or more to come up with the fine.

That's the whole point. If you make the fine easily payable, it will have zero deterrent factor.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:

Vino didn't have to pay because the agreement he signed with the UCI said he only had to pay if he received a 2-year sanction.

Vino was suspended for only 1 year.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
That's the whole point. If you make the fine easily payable, it will have zero deterrent factor.

Fine big then BS defense like whiskey. Fine big rider fight hard with BS. Fine little rider maybe cooperate. Big fine deterrant to cooperate. Fine big or fine little if cooperate? Chaka confused. :confused:

TERMINATOR said:

What part of an "unrealistic amount that would not be payable by many riders" do you not get, you dumbass. Why not charge them five times their salary, dumbass. Maybe it could be ten times, dumbass. If the contract is unconscionable then it is not enforcable, especially when the two parties have grossly unequal bargaining positions, dumbass. Is that too complicated for you, dumbass?

BroDeal said:
What part of an "unrealistic amount that would not be payable by many riders" do you not get, you dumbfuck. Why not charge them five times their salary, dumbsh!t. Maybe it could be ten times, dumbbutthair. If the contract is unconscionable then it is not enforcable, especially when the two parties have grossly unequal bargaining positions. Is that too complicated for you, dumbass?

Whoa there, horsey! :p

However, the CAS has found that such a contract is not enforceable. El Pais reports that the CAS verdict stated that “this initiative, put in place 19 days before the 2007 Tour, is nothing other than a public relations exercise with the aim of restoring the credibility and honesty of cycling in general. The UCI does not have sufficient legal basis to claim payment of a contribution based on the signing of this commitment by the riders.”

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
In France when a salary is put under the threath of huge fines by his employers, his emplloyers has to pay him a prime that is consigned somewhere and would be use to pay the fines.
So such decisions was already illegal for all riders under a french contract.

I would not be surprise if other EU countries have similar emploiement rules.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
People, people try to play nice now.

Anyway, good to hear about this. I have always thought that this fine system was grossly unjustifiable, mainly because of the excessiveness of the fines and the insanely unequal bargaining positions

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Seems like 1.2 Euros are worth of busting and subsequently banning Vino and others. :cool: I wonder how that money appear in their balance sheet - other revenue? :rolleyes:

No wonder why the sport is so fvcked up---UCI threats the riders with fines, bans & disgrace and what they end up with is doing the opposite...
Vino has got the best of any return in history after his ban-even owed money is forgotten so he can gladly please the crowd with his presence..:p

TRENDING THREADS