• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vinokourov and Kashechkin 'blood brothers'?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has ever been mentioned / thought about on here but here is my (possible) theory.

Its 2007, one year after Puerto - blood transfusions are the hot topic. But it must be done with your own (unenchanced) blood otherwise it can be detected (Tyler...).

That time trial had 3 Astana's in the top 4, so - is it possible that Vino's & Kash's blood could have been mixed up in the transfusion process (i.e. are they the same blood type?), and Kloden got a boost of his own (and therefore undetectable)?

Just some thoughts...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
One of the the points that came out with Vino positive was that the transfused blood was genetically similar to Vino's blood. This led to the speculation that the blood came from his father. Of course this speculation led to one of the all time best Vino lines.
“I heard that I made a transfusion with my father's blood,” ... “That's absurd, I can tell you that with his blood, I would have tested positive for vodka

JustinReynolds said:
Not sure if this has ever been mentioned / thought about on here but here is my (possible) theory.

Its 2007, one year after Puerto - blood transfusions are the hot topic. But it must be done with your own (unenchanced) blood otherwise it can be detected (Tyler...).

That time trial had 3 Astana's in the top 4, so - is it possible that Vino's & Kash's blood could have been mixed up in the transfusion process (i.e. are they the same blood type?), and Kloden got a boost of his own (and therefore undetectable)?

Just some thoughts...

My belief is that Vino was unaware that the french lab had recently acquired the equipment to detect homologous blood doping. Plus I don't think the UCI was using the test on all blood samples or even on a randomly selected blood samples. They would only use the test when they targeted specific riders, which is why it took three years after Hamilton and Perez tested positive for another rider to test positive. I tend to think that Vino made a rational decision based on the information he had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts