• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VINTAGE 10 speed

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a vintage Paramount with Nuevo Record and Regina freehub.
I need new freehub, chain and derailleur pulleys. Do I have to get vintage Regina stuff, or can I get something contemporary that will work? It's a true 10 speed, 5 cogs. Is there another forum that has vintage bike experts?
gracias

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Christian Schneider said:
I need new freehub, chain and derailleur pulleys. Do I have to get vintage Regina stuff, or can I get something contemporary that will work? It's a true 10 speed, 5 cogs. Is there another forum that has vintage bike experts?
gracias

Because it's friction-shift (way pre-index) you can use any five speed freewheel you can find.

I had Record and Super Record Groupos 20 years ago. I was the last in my club to go with index shifting, and still hang on to my 5-speed freewheel. Now I wish I never would have sold it all. I would love to do what you're doing, built up a classic 10-speed, friction-shifting bike.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Christian Schneider said:
gracias

You can use any brand 5 or 6 speed freewheel (not freehub, wrong term), Regina, SunTour, Campy, whatever, just as long as you stay within the tooth capacity of the rear derailleur. A short cage NR rear der will max out at about 26t, maybe 28t for the largest cog, but that's pushing it. Better to go with NOS off ebay, waaaaaay better than any of the new stuff. If you could score a SunTour Superbe Pro freewheel, that would be gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I will get some photos up tomorrow. It was my father's bike. Brooks saddle, leather wrapped Cinelli bars, chrome lugs, orange paint. It's been hanging in my den for a couple years, sinc ehe passed. I started looking at it, realized it's my size. My father was 5'4", I am 5'9". He always shoved the seatpost way down into the tube. I put new tubulars on it, cleaned the drive-train, measured it and took it out today. It rides silently, I would hate to take it into the Angles Crest National Forest like he did, but it was fun. It may not need new freewheel afterall. But there are many to chose from on EBay. It's not going to replace my other bikes, but sometimes I might take it off the wall just to show it off at the coffee shop. Could always slip on one of his wool jerseys too. Thanks for your interest.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I have got an old 86 Pinarello steel (Asolo, if I remember right) with Campy Athena groupo sitting out in my bike shed. Anyone know if that might still be worth anything to the folks who like the older stuff out there?

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You can use any brand 5 or 6 speed freewheel (not freehub, wrong term), Regina, SunTour, Campy, whatever, just as long as you stay within the tooth capacity of the rear derailleur. A short cage NR rear der will max out at about 26t, maybe 28t for the largest cog, but that's pushing it. Better to go with NOS off ebay, waaaaaay better than any of the new stuff. If you could score a SunTour Superbe Pro freewheel, that would be gold Jerry, GOLD!!!

and i have many. what is the bid?!!! not that i want to sell them.

TRENDING THREADS