• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vitamin D the new magic bullet?

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
I'm putting this in the Clinic because it's hard to imagine that whatever discussion ensues won't touch on doping somehow. There was an article in the new York Times today about the performance-enhancing benefits of Vitamin D:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/phys-ed-can-vitamin-d-improve-your-athletic-performance/

The basic premise is that a surprising number of athletes are Vitamin D deficient and that increases in Vitamin D level can increase performance. This is not "news" in the sense that it has been looked at before, but the findings of deficiencies are a bit surprising.

Now, some of what they cite strike me as stretches in terms of really suggesting cause and effect - they're more correlation. But there's enough suggestive stuff to make me think there could be some truth to it.

Thoughts?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I recently found out that I had a vit D deficiency, which may be causing my chronic joint pain (I hope this is the reason, anyway!). Resolving any deficiency or allergy (see the gluten thread) is likely to have a performance effect. The interesting thing about vitamin D deficiency is really prevalent now because of increased awareness of skin cancer and aging. The sunscreens are now so effective at blocking UV that it may become harmful. However, in the case of cyclists, esp pros, I would be very surprised if many had a vit D deficiency because of how much time they spend outside. Gymnasts, however, I can believe!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
I recently found out that I had a vit D deficiency, which may be causing my chronic joint pain (I hope this is the reason, anyway!). Resolving any deficiency or allergy (see the gluten thread) is likely to have a performance effect. The interesting thing about vitamin D deficiency is really prevalent now because of increased awareness of skin cancer and aging. The sunscreens are now so effective at blocking UV that it may become harmful. However, in the case of cyclists, esp pros, I would be very surprised if many had a vit D deficiency because of how much time they spend outside. Gymnasts, however, I can believe!

Well, exposure to sun is only half of it. You'd need previtamin D in the first place.

It also says that
Forty percent of the runners, who trained outdoors in sunny Baton Rouge, Louisiana, had insufficient Vitamin D.
which could be relevant for cyclists.

Now, I fully agree with you. If you have a deficiency such as vitamin D deficiency, you can boost performance by bringing the numbers up to normal. How much boost you get depends likely on the degree of the deficiency in the first place. Now, that said, it sounds strange to me that you'd find any kind of serious performance-dropping deficiency in top athletes. Maybe in the lower ranks. But who knows.

Also, in many cases, just because a certain deficiency might cause a performance drop, it is not true that a surplus of the same stuff brings along a performance enhancement.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Cobber said:

Yeah, I'd be surprised too at cyclists, but I do think that the SPF 30,50 or higher sunblock effectively eliminates the Vitamin D stimulating effects of the sun. I tend to put sunblock only on my face, so hopefully I'm getting enough on my arms and legs. Not sure I want to spring for the $65 for the test, but I am wondering.

Hope the Vitamin D is indeed the reason for your joint pain - that would be a fairly easy fix.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I thought that a balanced diet also included a lot of fish, some which are a good natural source of Vitamin D. The NYT basically only mentions cod liver oil and fortified milk in terms of natural sources.

Could it be that vit. D type of fish is ignored because it is generally too fatty for high level athletes? Or does fish have any other downsides?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Guinea Pigs Beware

The effects of 'Vitamin' D are not well known, but generally it's thought to affect calcuim absorbtion and regulate the immune system.

There are conflicting views on Secosteroid D supplementation. Some feel that deficiencies in Secosteroid D are a cause of problems and others that feel it is an effect.

http://www.physorg.com/news158425579.html

It's best not to fool with mother nature and if you can't hang without doping then do something else for a living (or fun).

May 13, 2009
Visit site
american psycho said:
The effects of 'Vitamin' D are not well known, but generally it's thought to affect calcuim absorbtion and regulate the immune system.

There are conflicting views on Secosteroid D supplementation. Some feel that deficiencies in Secosteroid D are a cause of problems and others that feel it is an effect.

It's best not to fool with mother nature and if you can't hang without doping then do something else for a living (or fun).

Good find.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
american psycho said:

Hmm... interesting article. I need to look into this more since I am currently on a vitamin D supplement for arthritis... :confused:

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Bala Verde said:
I thought that a balanced diet also included a lot of fish, some which are a good natural source of Vitamin D. The NYT basically only mentions cod liver oil and fortified milk in terms of natural sources.

Could it be that vit. D type of fish is ignored because it is generally too fatty for high level athletes? Or does fish have any other downsides?

It's entirely possible to have a balanced diet without fish, but certainly fish has a lot of good stuff in it. I don't think the fatty nature of the fish is much of a problem (fat in moderation gets an undeserved bad rap among a lot of people), but many fishes have too much mercury due to pollution. Here's a link - the one that was the most handy was this one on an "environmental" site, but the information is out there on more "neutral" sites as well:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Vitamin D is also believed to play a role in preventing cancer, although they are still working out what that role is. I think a lot of people stop drinking milk in adulthood, in part because of concern about fat/cholesterol. But non-fat milk does have a lot of good things going for it, and is good for recovery. Personally, I've been drinking a lot more milk lately, and talking salmon oil (filtered for mercury) capsules. Still aging, though.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
Kennf1 said:
Vitamin D is also believed to play a role in preventing cancer, although they are still working out what that role is. I think a lot of people stop drinking milk in adulthood, in part because of concern about fat/cholesterol. But non-fat milk does have a lot of good things going for it, and is good for recovery. Personally, I've been drinking a lot more milk lately, and talking salmon oil (filtered for mercury) capsules. Still aging, though.

Believe me, aging is better than the alternative :cool:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
secosteroid D & rheumatic illnesses

Cobber said:
Hmm... interesting article. I need to look into this more since I am currently on a vitamin D supplement for arthritis... :confused:

i suffer from anyklosing spondylitis (like arthritis in the spinie & hips) and am on immunosuppresive medication (humira) that works wonders, but really would like to know the cause of my symptoms and reverse it rather than just treating them.

the Marshall theory of the VDR blockage (from too much secosteroid D) is interesting and I'm considering giving it a try.

In any case, messing around with supplements and doping may make the human machine perform better in the short term, but it's hard to believe that millions of years of evolution haven't made us good enough.

Vitamin D is definitely a big topic of discussion lately, especially with the swine flu breakouts. I definitely think it'd s good idea to request to have your levels checked. I will be doing this at my next doctor's visit. I do get a little nervous about just supplementing more than the RDA (even though many are now saying the current RDA is way too low), just because it's a fat-soluble vitamin and the body can't rid itself of excess. But vitamin D definitely is necessary for so many things, and most people don't even think about it.

TRENDING THREADS