• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VO2 Max Testing

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am wondering if many here have had VO2 Max testing done? What were your results? I am having a VO2 test done soon and would love to hear any experiences with this type of test.

Cheers!

I have done several and performed a large number on others.

If I weighed what I weighed when I was 21 I would have the same VO2max as some Pro Tour Riders. But I don't :mad:

Main thing is the power you produce at VO2max. After a lay off (of six years) my VO2max (L/min) was same as 21 but a sedentary lifestyle meant the ml/kg/min was average as was the power. 3 months of riding later the VO2max went down but I was producing 100 more watts at that level (also at the so called aerobic and anaerobic thresholds).

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
VO2 max tests though allow bragging and comparison to the other greats of cycling. "Cadels VO2max was 98(?), I'm halfway there!"

I'd never pay for one but happy to get them free as part of studies.

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I am not paying for the test, it is part of a pre job medical test :rolleyes:. Since I have never done anything like this before I was curious to here what others experiences were like.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you wish to discover:
. the process/steps to the test
. how participants felt during/immediately after

one/both the above...or some other parameter?

I have done several...mostly running. I recall running Max VO2>> cycling Max VO2. Therefore think that if on treadmill you will probably generate a higher MaxVO2. If on ergo (bike rather than hand) you will (hopefully) get power and O2 at max.

Running...many moons ago I recorded 70ml/kg/min.
In the above running test lactate levels were taken while on a zero gradient with treadmill speed increasing every minute.
When the lactate hit 4 the gradient was increased until exhaustion (or rather when I wimped out).

The bike tests varied and the only parameter I recall is 350W at Max VO2. My current max power for 5min (an approx for Max VO2) is 330W. When racing (in the 80s) I weighed 80kg, I now weigh 88kg. I guess that means that my current Max VO2 power (3.7W/kg) is less than half that of the top pros.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
I have done several and performed a large number on others.

If I weighed what I weighed when I was 21 I would have the same VO2max as some Pro Tour Riders. But I don't :mad:

Main thing is the power you produce at VO2max. After a lay off (of six years) my VO2max (L/min) was same as 21 but a sedentary lifestyle meant the ml/kg/min was average as was the power. 3 months of riding later the VO2max went down but I was producing 100 more watts at that level (also at the so called aerobic and anaerobic thresholds).

The Max VO2 went down? In litres/min or ml/kg/min.

Also am puzzled that the power went up. Do you have an hypothesis for that? For to produce more power more fuel (should be?) burnt which in turn requires more O2? Please bear with me if I have overlooked the bleeding obvious:eek:.

ta js

JA.Tri said:
The Max VO2 went down? In litres/min or ml/kg/min.

Also am puzzled that the power went up. Do you have an hypothesis for that? For to produce more power more fuel (should be?) burnt which in turn requires more O2? Please bear with me if I have overlooked the bleeding obvious:eek:.

ta js
Fergie will need to clarify specifically.

There is a wide range of power one can sustain that will induce VO2max, plus threshold power is a function of several things, in particular the % of VO2 max one can sustain at threshold - which is highly trainable (as well as VO2 max and efficiency - which is much less trainable).

k_gibbo said:
I am not paying for the test, it is part of a pre job medical test :rolleyes:. Since I have never done anything like this before I was curious to here what others experiences were like.

Hurt like a bit*h towards the end but I was going up again a very fit young kayaker and they set up several Douglas Bags next to him and only three next to me so had to prove a point in the last one I did. But on an Lode erg with a mouthpiece and a nose clip it's not really a valid test.

Be keen to try a Cosmed K2 (portable gas analysis) on the track with a power meter doing a Conconi Test or an uphill tt. To see if field tests are as reliable as a lab test.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Fergie will need to clarify specifically.

There is a wide range of power one can sustain that will induce VO2max, plus threshold power is a function of several things, in particular the % of VO2 max one can sustain at threshold - which is highly trainable (as well as VO2 max and efficiency - which is much less trainable).

More to producing power than O2 delivery. I assume a lot of other adaptations took place in those 3 months getting back into regular exercise.

I took the test two years ago and I scored 59ml/kg/min. It was done before I started training or even riding more; I had just bought a bike and done, say, 50hr training during the last six months. I have no illusions, but it was quite encouraging since I had last done any training as a kid, and my lifestyle had been more or less sedentary for almost a decade.

If I remember correctly, my power at vo2max was 330W and lactate levels 15,5ish back then. Lactate threshold (at 2,5 mmol) was 210w, ridiculously low. As of now, I think my aerobic threshold is around thereabouts. Now the numbers would be considerably higher, but I have had no interest to do the test again, because it's been easy to track improvement by other means. Perhaps I should re-do it, just out of curiosity.