• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2016 (2.1, 27.07./07.08.)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame what W52/FCPorto turned this race into.

It was sad for Joni getting caught after 85km's, but after Ricardo Mestre got dropped (while smiling to camera) it was clear what was going to happen.

I cannot understand RTP. All this investment in Volta, and they start broadcasting half way through final climb.

Re:

MacBAir said:
About Gustavo, what a disgrace. I just saw Pinto da Costa and I'm asking myself if having FcPorto putting money in cycling is even worth it if they are keeping the old, rotten dogs (Nuno Ribeiro) and still favoring old, previously banned cyclists instead of investing in our youth.

And then I hear about Rui Sousa, see how Americo Silva is still Efapel's DS and occasional commentator on Eurosport, read about Manuel Zeferino thinking about a comeback with a new project. It all makes sense. This is A Grandíssima, after all. Let's take it for what it is/was: great entertainment.

Let's hope Rui Vinhas grow a pair and does the right thing. C'mon Rui, betray Gustavo and W52. It's your only chance of greatness! Sporting will welcome you with open arms and leadership, next year!
Gustavo is 36 and shady as all hell, but he isn't a previously banned rider.

And as BigMac says, César > Horner any day of the week.

I hope Rui Vinhas hangs on just for the sake of seeing a "young" portuguese rider taking the Volta again so many years after Ricardo Mestre dominated the race for Tavira with the mighty help of Andre Cardoso and Nelson Vitorino.

I think Veloso will smash his head in the TT though: last year Vinhas lost 4min over 35km to Veloso. Can he cut those losses in half next sunday?

trevim said:
I think Veloso will smash his head in the TT though: last year Vinhas lost 4min over 35km to Veloso. Can he cut those losses in half next sunday?

I'm guessing Vinhas wouldn't of ridden that TT full gas as he had no reason to go all out, you'd expect that he will go faster this year but it will be touch and go if he can hold on especially if he loses anymore time between now and the TT.

Re:

carolina said:
the last climb on saturday was canceled.

it's august, there is always lot's and lot's of traffic in that area because of the beach, but it seems the organization didn't think about that... what a bunch of idiots!

You've got to be kidding me?

What a braindead country I live in. Can't people stay one day without going to the only beach that is affected by the event, which is Portinho? And who made the call? The organisers themselves godknowswhy or the municipality?

I don't even... That's it, I'm done with this farse.

The problem is that if you close the road, the beaches would be pretty much empty and the bars wouldn't make any money.

It's ridiculous. Everyone knows that road was going to be full of parked cars. I did that part of the stage about a month ago and that road already had lots and lots of cars.

I don't understand how they didn't consider this. I mean, Setúbal payed to have the finish there, didn't they warn the organizers?!

I'm seriously considering not going to watch the stage on sunday. They don't deserve my money nor my presence.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
What a fantastic win! Thank God! Gonçalves is great.

If Samuel Caldeira (has he ever done anything at the Volta?) was working for Gustavo Veloso, Gustavo would've won again today. Ridiculous.

Re:

MacBAir said:

If Samuel Caldeira (has he ever done anything at the Volta?) was working for Gustavo Veloso, Gustavo would've won again today. Ridiculous.

He's be constantly up there in the sprints along the years but never won one. On the other hand he has lots of good results stacked in races all throughout the season.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
MacBAir said:

He's be constantly up there in the sprints along the years but never won one. On the other hand he has lots of good results stacked in races all throughout the season.
Yeah But I don't remember him wining even 1 sprint during the Volta. Weird.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
That's just absurd. What a tame way to sign off on an edition that would be without a Torre MTF, and uses both Montejunto and São Macário in positions to have no relevance to the stages.

From what has been said I take it they're doing Arrábida from the Aldeia de Irmãos side and going over the top instead of riding from Azeitão to Portinho via Outão and then taking the climb from there. Still some decent slopes starting off from the far west I think. Kinda feels we mostly lose out on the tourist value of the stage.

Regarding Montejunto, the only decent finishes seem to be either MTF or Cadaval (Bombarral might be a bit too far). So I guess that could be an issue...

TRENDING THREADS