• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2016 (2.1, 27.07./07.08.)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I never had realised Alarcon was so high on GC. Kind of difficult to fight such a team, specially with talented riders like António Carvalho riding as domestiques.

I hope Veloso, Sousa, Alarcon,... all retire soon. Or at least I hope some of the kids step up to leadership

Re:

trevim said:
I never had realised Alarcon was so high on GC. Kind of difficult to fight such a team, specially with talented riders like António Carvalho riding as domestiques.

I hope Veloso, Sousa, Alarcon,... all retire soon. Or at least I hope some of the kids step up to leadership

Doposo will return next year. After that expect Alarcon to evolve from a also-ran in every terrain to a dominant force crushing everybody...

Also major salt from Veloso at the finish. "The strongest rider didn't win" and whatnot. Pretty much up in Vinhas' face in the flash interview area. Man gets stage win, second overall, points jersey and combined prize or whatever. He had plenty of days to make up the time he needed. Why didn't he? Would never have been easy to get so much time in the TT. Yeah, didn't make me a fan at all...

Happy for Vinhas I guess. Bit bummed about the sort of domination teams like W52 and Efapel impose in the race considering the likes of Nuno Ribeiro being involved... I just wish the Volta was more meaningful in the grand scheme of things and this isn't the way to go about it.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Really? His teammate won the race and Veloso is openly whining about it?

Swear to god, they were interviewing a Radio Popular man (I think the 3rd place podium finisher - Daniel Mestre) in the flash interview area in front of Vinhas who was just sitting by them having a breath after finishing the ITT and coming to grips with actually winning the whole shebang. Mestre was singing Vinhas' praises and actually looking glad for the guy winning. Veloso rolls up with a face like he just chewed on a a bag of cow manure and starts a long-winded "Yeah I'm happy for the team, but I think everyone saw what happened on the road and who was strongest". The interviewer made sure he spelled that out for everyone to hear again too.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I'm pretty sure Vinhas was still sitting there during the whole thing.

Major, MAJOR sour grapes. Worse than 2012 Froomey. I literally knew nothing about Gustavo Veloso as a person up until today and boy he sure made it easy to get myself an informed opinion. :D

Jesus. Gustavo was a pretty decent guy in the Xacobeo days while he was a helper for Eze, sounds like the success down in Portugal has gone right to his head and he's turned into a right tool.

No chance he jut goes away tho, he won't retire properly (even if he were to throw a tantrum and announce it in a fit of pique, he'd be lured back once the dust has settled) and even if he has a big falling out with W52, somebody else will give him a ride, maybe Radio Popular if Horner finally throws in the towel, or Loulé. Maybe Nuno's upset because messing up the tactics now means he's got a fight on his hands to keep Gustavo happy, or maybe he's upset because now they're probably going to have to pay Vinhas more :p

What would a Portuguese team theoretically do as a ProConti? Seems like things wouldn't change a lot for them.. You think Pais Vasco and Catalunya would invite them?

Was just thinking about it because I saw a tweet about Antonio Carvalho saying he wants W52 to be ProConti

nTn

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re:

luckyboy said:
What would a Portuguese team theoretically do as a ProConti? Seems like things wouldn't change a lot for them.. You think Pais Vasco and Catalunya would invite them?

Was just thinking about it because I saw a tweet about Antonio Carvalho saying he wants W52 to be ProConti
FC Porto has a 5 year deal with the team. And a Pro Conti Portuguese team would maybe show that Portuguese riders aren't that bad. I think that maybe some spanish WT races would invite them even the Vuelta.

nTn

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re:

luckyboy said:
I would like to see some of these guys in a race like that. Vuelta is too close to the Volta for their best guys to be in top form for both though, no?

Also I messaged you yesterday about the transfers you mentioned..
In fact, since last year you can ride the Volta as a preparation for the Vuelta. Like Dauphiné and Tour. The Vuelta only begins in the last period of August but the Volta begins in the end of July and finish in the end of the first week of August. There's time for recovery. Gonçalves is an example. He is ride the Volta as a preparation for the Vuelta and went pretty well to be honest.

I coulnd't asnswer your message. I'm kinda newbie in this forum so I'm still learning.

Funny thought: If not for Veloso's mechanical in the prologue, he would've been in yellow and Vinhas would never have gone in the break.

As for PCT, that would mean bio passport which I'm not sure they're willing to adhere to. It requires a bit of money to adhere.
Why, does that facebook statement by Veloso say the team is going for it?

TRENDING THREADS