• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2022 (August 4-15)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see that the Russian flag is one thing that hasn't been banned prior to the race.
Grigoryev also finished 9th in last year's prologue, but rode about 5 seconds faster this time around.

I'm hoping for good results for Pelayo Sánchez. Not only is his matriname Mayo, but he was also coached by Samu in his youth.

Reactions: Mayomaniac
Today we have a bit of rolling terrain and a slight uphill drag towards the finish line, hard to look past Lobato against this kind of field...
volta-a-portugal-2022-stage-1-profile-fbf38e9a5f.jpg

Careful now with the assumptions regards the tactics, we'll have that poster from last year coming to tell us all about how we're wrong and Glassdrive always get it right.

HPH going for the two man breakaway in the aim of... I guess maybe getting Rosskopf a day in the camisola amarela if the fluorescent train isn't bothered about bringing them back? It's not really a significant enough lead to feel like they have a chance once the leadouts start in earnest though, but this is A Grandíssima so you never know. Not many established sprint train teams in attendance, I mean, Lobato is pretty decent in terms of his sprint kick, but he's relying on a Euskaltel-Euskadi leadout train...

Now Murphy has peeled off, it's Joey on his own, he only needs a second at the line in fairness with the time bonuses if Reis doesn't finish top 3, and there doesn't seem to be that much urgency behind. The uphill false flat may put paid to him, but he's definitely making it interesting out there!

Split caused by a crash - inside 3km so won't be an issue at the end of the day but Herberth Gutiérrez and André Cardoso were two I saw were down in it. One of the Aviludo-Louletano riders looked in a bad way. Tiago Machado now announced as having been caught up in it too. Rosskopf is brought back off-screen as the cameras keep eyes on the crash.

Reduced sprint... and Scott McGill of Wildlife Generation gets the win, ahead of Mauri from the looks of things.

Last edited:
Tiago Antunes and Tiago Machado also involved in the crash.

Scott McGill wins.

Now Murphy has peeled off, it's Joey on his own, he only needs a second at the line in fairness with the time bonuses if Reis doesn't finish top 3, and there doesn't seem to be that much urgency behind. The uphill false flat may put paid to him, but he's definitely making it interesting out there!
No time bonuses at Grandíssima this year.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
Reis rolling in in the group after a minute so he must have been impeded too.

Oliver Rees made it in to 2nd ahead of Moreira actually, he was actually 3rd in the prologue and on the same time as the Uruguayan so will leap ahead of him on GC. Assuming Reis gets given +st, Rees will be just 3 seconds off the camisola amarela, and Moreira at +5.
No bonus seconds at Grandíssima.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Around 34ºC.
Thanks, so actually not that hot for the Volta. I saw them spraying water on the riders before the final uphill drag, so I assumed that it was much worse.
Tomorrow we have the big Torre MTF.
volta-a-portugal-2022-stage-3-profile-dbe8b95dea.jpg

Nohing big before the final climb, but up and down all day on those hills. That could put some fatigue in the legs, if you also consider the potential heat. Hard to look past a Moreira win tomorrow, unless the team messes up and lets someone weaker get away, like they did last year when they gifted 1min to Marque.
I actually prefer the stage that they had a few years ago when they went over Torre from the western side before a MTF at Penhas da Saúde, the final part of Torre is really exposed to the wind, so the racing is often not that great. That said, they already have SdG as their multi-mountain stage where guys (mainly Figueiredo over the last 2 years) can attack on the steep 2nd part of the Barreiro climb with over 40kms to go, so I understand why they go for this approach instead.
volta-a-portugal-2018-stage-4-profile-2af7d1c625.jpg

Back then Joni Brandao went on a long range attack, while Alarcon destroyed the gc group before catching and dropping him near the end to win the stage.

Mayo, the other thing is that in recent years Torre comes first, before Senhora da Graça.

When Senhora da Graça came first, the Torre stage would be harder, either with something like Carraçedo before the Seia side, or commonly they would climb Penhas da Saúde from Covilhã, then descend the Manteigas side, climb Penhas Douradas and then descend in to Seia to climb it. One year they even climbed up to Lagoa Comprida from Vide, but instead of going directly to Torre from there, descended back through Sabugueiro and then down to São Romão and round to climb the Seia side.

TRENDING THREADS