• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2022 (August 4-15)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Monte Farinha, the mountain of Watts will be the the finish but the previous climb, Barreiro, might be the most decisive climb of the day.

EDIT - Glassdrive with Figueiredo, Moreira, Carvalho plus Fábio Costa on the front group. Only Luís Fernandes and Marque with them. 2m advantage. The stage will be decided among them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Pure Milaneza stuff going on here.

Edit: Carvalho just riding off. Cardoso, del Pino and Délio riding away from group 2, and del Pino getting angry with Délio not helping because Marque is in the group ahead. Marque dropped by Figueiredo, but Melcior Mauri is still there and Luís "34 and never contended" Fernandes is still following.

Last edited:
Toni Carvalho is out in front. Fernandes is a pathetic time trialist, 1m30s is not enough for him vs Carvalho tomorrow.
Well, when a rider suddenly discovers ability, they sometimes discover hitherto unknown ability in all formats. This is A Volta. However, it might be a moot point as they're going to Gewiss '94 it from the looks of things. Fred shouldn't want that though. He needs time over Melcior.

Well, when a rider suddenly discovers ability, they sometimes discover hitherto unknown ability in all formats. This is A Volta. However, it might be a moot point as they're going to Gewiss '94 it from the looks of things. Fred shouldn't want that though. He needs time over Melcior.
No, even with his newfound abilities, is just awful.

TTT up Monte Farinha. Maurício looks like is suffering.

I think the DS gets along well with Mauricio.
Mauricio seems to be a classy guy and get along with his teammates.
Still, this was probably the one chance that FF had to win the Volta, while Mauri already would have won last year with a not-braindead ds.
On top of it Mauri is also younger, so unless Figueiredu finds his Volta typical old man strength on his 30ies he won't win it.
He won't get a better route and no W52 riders to compete against him.

Total devastation, as predicted. If Figueiredo had freedom we could've have a race tomorrow but with this picture, he'll win with Figueiredo in 2nd and Toni Carvalho in 3rd.

Took a while for the Portuguese Festina Affair to take place, but the Volta of Redemption arrived pretty quick...

A few things to say guys

Maybe I'm the only one that things this race is a little bit sad?

Just seems like a lot of meaningless clinic activity and suffering

I also don't understand why Figuiredo is giving the race to his teammate who is not the strongest.

I used to be excited about the Volta but it just seems a bit tragic now

I can honestly say that I totally forget the Volta is taking place and I'm here in Portugal. Only remembered about today's stage reading some comments about it after finished watching the Arctic Race.

When I was a kid I always got fully excited when the race passed near my home (I think it passed through my town 2 or 3 times since I remember, the last one being in 2010), this year it passed 5 minutes from it and I couldn't bother to turn off Netflix and get out of my house to watch it.

TRENDING THREADS