• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2019, March 25-31

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is something amiss with Quintana ...he stopped on several occasions on the climb and pulled out and let Yates ,MAL and Martin back in
I mean I know that if you let Yates back in he wins the stage ....why does Quintana not know that ...and dont give me he was knackered ...he followed every attack. Doesnt he know that he has to attack on steepest part of climb to have any chance ?

It seems to me he is afraid of losing ...so he rides not to lose...except he loses in the end

Bernal may have beat him to the line but may not....we and he will never know
If fans are waiting for Quintana to provide entertaining cycling they will have a long wait ....now Yates (both), Dan Martin and Thomas de Gendt ...not Colomban climbing sensations but they know how to ride and race and entertain

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
armchairclimber said:
DFA123 said:
Screecher said:
For me a wheelsucker is someone who doesn't want to take pulls in a group. Just because someone attacks doesn't mean he isn't a wheelsucker

On the flat perhaps it is more of a pertinent label, but on a climb, the term 'wheelsucker' is ridiculous. When climbing, it's not wheelsucking to just hold someone's wheel because you are on the limit.

It would be crazy to take turns with someone who you know is stronger than you and will just attack the moment when you are at your weakest.

Except that in taking turns they might have had the finish to themselves instead of a five up sprint.
If Quintana had started working hard enough to try to keep Yates away, Bernal would have attacked and dropped him like a stone.

What kind of tactics would you suggest? H probably was the second strongest rider, yet in the end is finished 4th and lost bonus seconds to Martin, who was like fifth strongest. Surely you cannot call that maximising your earnings.

Sestriere said:
DFA123 said:
armchairclimber said:
DFA123 said:
Screecher said:
For me a wheelsucker is someone who doesn't want to take pulls in a group. Just because someone attacks doesn't mean he isn't a wheelsucker

On the flat perhaps it is more of a pertinent label, but on a climb, the term 'wheelsucker' is ridiculous. When climbing, it's not wheelsucking to just hold someone's wheel because you are on the limit.

It would be crazy to take turns with someone who you know is stronger than you and will just attack the moment when you are at your weakest.

Except that in taking turns they might have had the finish to themselves instead of a five up sprint.
If Quintana had started working hard enough to try to keep Yates away, Bernal would have attacked and dropped him like a stone.

What kind of tactics would you suggest? H probably was the second strongest rider, yet in the end is finished 4th and lost bonus seconds to Martin, who was like fifth strongest. Surely you cannot call that maximising your earnings.
I think his tactics were fine if he was on the limit. Test himself by following Bernal and limiting any potential losses, but don't go into the red and risk losing 30-40 seconds. Particularly when he has probably the strongest team in the race and several other stages to gain time.

And, in any event, it's Catalunya - in march. For a rider of Quintana's status this is primarily just a building block for a race which is still over three months away. No need to go absolutely all out trying to beat someone who is in stronger form right now. And, in doing so, dig yourself into a hole so that you end up with limited training benefit from the following stages.

DFA123 said:
Screecher said:

except all the top5 other Quintana attacked to win the stage at some point on the final climb even if they were weak
So if he sprints he is 4th. If he doesn't sprint he is 4th. if he attacks he is 4th. If he doesn't attack he is 4th. So might as well attack or take turns
Since the race isn't finished maybe he will try at the last opportunity

Re:

HelloDolly said:
There is something amiss with Quintana ...he stopped on several occasions on the climb and pulled out and let Yates ,MAL and Martin back in
I mean I know that if you let Yates back in he wins the stage ....why does Quintana not know that ...and dont give me he was knackered ...he followed every attack. Doesnt he know that he has to attack on steepest part of climb to have any chance ?

It seems to me he is afraid of losing ...so he rides not to lose...except he loses in the end

If fans are waiting for Quintana to provide entertaining cycling they will have a long wait ....now Yates (both), Dan Martin and Thomas de Gendt ...not Colomban climbing sensations but they know how to ride and race and entertain

Quintana did a far more entertaining ride two weeks ago than Dan Martin has done in his whole career. :rolleyes:

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

Quintana did a far more entertaining ride two weeks ago than Dan Martin has done in his whole career. :rolleyes:
I think you might wanna re-watch the 2013 edition of this very race.

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

That must be why quintana won the super combativity award in the TdF last year..... Oh wait that was Martin.

SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I think you might wanna re-watch the 2013 edition of this very race.
lol, not even close. Sneaking into a break because low on GC and riding on solo for 10km < entertaining than solo attack out of the peloton when 2nd in GC and 50km out.

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I liked the Quintana's move on the last stage of P-N but that dig at Dan Martin is not justified at all. One of the most attacking riders and biggest fighters of this generation.

Anderis said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I liked the Quintana's move on the last stage of P-N but that dig at Dan Martin is not justified at all. One of the most attacking riders of this generation.
It's not so much a dig at Dan Martin; I agree, he is an attacking rider.

But it's just to highlight the absolute nonsense in saying Quintana is 'afraid of losing' or 'a long wait for Quintana to provide entertainment'. When literally 10 days ago, he has put in a 50km solo attack when 2nd on GC. Which, imo, was more entertaining than anything Martin or de Gendt has done.

Red Rick said:
rick james said:
Stuck in work, how did the dawg do??
Didn't see him get dropped but wasn't in any of the first groups either.
giphy.gif

Just finished watching the race and can't believe people are defending NQ. The guy is a whimp! I've now got a name for every tailgater when I'm driving....yes you got it, QUINTANA! The only thing I can think why he didn't attack (apart from being a whimp) is that he was waiting for his illustrious leader to get back on, which was never gonna happen as soon as the altitude went over 500 feet. Great De Gendt keeps the jersey for another day.

wheresmybrakes said:
Just finished watching the race and can't believe people are defending NQ. The guy is a whimp! I've now got a name for every tailgater when I'm driving....yes you got it, QUINTANA! The only thing I can think why he didn't attack (apart from being a whimp) is that he was waiting for his illustrious leader to get back on, which was never gonna happen as soon as the altitude went over 500 feet. Great De Gendt keeps the jersey for another day.

giphy.gif

wheresmybrakes said:
Chill dude.