• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2019, March 25-31

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
There is something amiss with Quintana ...he stopped on several occasions on the climb and pulled out and let Yates ,MAL and Martin back in
I mean I know that if you let Yates back in he wins the stage ....why does Quintana not know that ...and dont give me he was knackered ...he followed every attack. Doesnt he know that he has to attack on steepest part of climb to have any chance ?

It seems to me he is afraid of losing ...so he rides not to lose...except he loses in the end

Bernal may have beat him to the line but may not....we and he will never know
If fans are waiting for Quintana to provide entertaining cycling they will have a long wait ....now Yates (both), Dan Martin and Thomas de Gendt ...not Colomban climbing sensations but they know how to ride and race and entertain

Quintana did a far more entertaining ride two weeks ago than Dan Martin has done in his whole career. :rolleyes:
I think you might wanna re-watch the 2013 edition of this very race.
lol, not even close. Sneaking into a break because low on GC and riding on solo for 10km < entertaining than solo attack out of the peloton when 2nd in GC and 50km out.
Dan Martin was 30 seconds behind the leader of the race when he entered the break almost 180 km from the finish of that stage.
Quintana was 46 seconds behind the leader of the race. Also, it was not a solo attack. He soon joined a plethora of teammates working for him and other riders, some of whom even pulled at some point.

The amount of kms they rode solo was comparable. Martin won the stage and ultimately the overall. Quintana didn't.

There are countless other examples that show how Martin is an attacking and entertaining rider.

Just admit that you were exaggerating and took a dig at the wrong rider.

Re:

Lequack said:
Shouldn't Simon theoretically be in better shape than Adam given that he's doing the Giro in a month or so, with Adam doing the Tour?

Nah, Adam can have a little peak now because the Tour is still 3 months away. Simon is probably in pretty good shape but will slowly build top shape towards the Giro. Can't afford to be there right now a few weeks before the Giro starts.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
rick james said:
Stuck in work, how did the dawg do??
Didn't see him get dropped but wasn't in any of the first groups either.
giphy.gif
Didn't find him in the first 100 on the stage on CQ
Finished 26 minutes down in a group with Greipel.
:lol: Le tour is at risk

WKA311 said:
Lequack said:
Shouldn't Simon theoretically be in better shape than Adam given that he's doing the Giro in a month or so, with Adam doing the Tour?

Nah, Adam can have a little peak now because the Tour is still 3 months away. Simon is probably in pretty good shape but will slowly build top shape towards the Giro. Can't afford to be there right now a few weeks before the Giro starts.

I guess, I'm just used to Froome usually winning the Dauphine like a month before winning the Tour.

Re:

Lequack said:
So is 30 seconds enough for De Gendt to win this race? The only mountain finish left is tomorrow and it's much less steep than today (12km @ 4.5%).

volta-a-catalunya-2019-stage-4-profile-77e68cc572.jpg
La Molina is harder than that but they also count the last couple of kms with that little descent. I guess this year they do it straight from Alp (i quite liked that last year's approach from Das). The main climb is roughly 8,5km at 6,6% with the first 6km at 7%. If De Gendt loses contact within the first 6km of the climb then he can wave goodbye to the lead. Otherwise he may survive, especially if he has any help left. The problem is that his main opposition are Bernal, Yates and Martin. All of them have very good punch and La Molina is usually very nice for such guys. If not tomorrow then they may also try something on the usual Montjuic laps.

WKA311 said:
Lequack said:

I guess he doesn't want any repetition of last year's Giro. This year's Giro has a rather tame 1st week so i guess it may be preferable to be a little bit undercooked to hit the peak for that Aosta stage with San Carlo etc.

Good racing today. Exciting stage.
Well ridden by De Gendt. He'll have to dig in again, though. A half a minute doesn't look sufficient considering the way featherweights were riding today.
Congrats to Yates. Managed to pull off a victory after shutting the daylight down between himself and the escapees.
Really nice exchange of punches today.

What a lovely stage. So intense that I was mislead to believe that it was Simon all the time. When it wasn´t´I was even more impressed. Brothers really are in form this season. Bernal is so good already. It will be interesting to see what he can do in Giro. I have my doubts because of what happened with Simon Yates last year. We´ll see. What a fighter Dan Martin.

Chapeau Yates! ... whichever one it was :) So why not Simon? Was it's Adam's day to go for the stage? Simon tomorrow maybe? If Quintana is aiming for the TdF then he seems in good shape.

LRP came in with Chaves - 7 minutes down - training ride today. That Sky train for the Giro will be powerfull. Chapeau TdG for holding on to top spot on GC.

Quintana is a disgrace. So much talent, so little panache. He had the means to whack them all, just did what he so often does. He'll never win a Tour. He's small. Dan Martin is a different story: on the ropes, he catches them and attacks. Hats off to him, brave guy.

The yeast brothers keep brewing, and Bernal showed himself as a rider who can take his responsibilities, act like a leader. Good for him. MAL playing games, maybe he thinks he's NIbali: he's not.

Pinot-Bardet not putting much effort in the end, I don't like that. De Gendt, I expected better, he can hold on, but it will be hard. At least he has heart and I think will defend his jersey like a wolverine would defend a carcass. He's brave too.

Quintana...I will never root for him ever again. No panache. In July, he'll be fighting for second as always. His riding today so disappointed me. And yes I'm over-reacting. But for Pete's sake, what a gutless performance.

DFA123 said:
Anderis said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
There is something amiss with Quintana ...he stopped on several occasions on the climb and pulled out and let Yates ,MAL and Martin back in
I mean I know that if you let Yates back in he wins the stage ....why does Quintana not know that ...and dont give me he was knackered ...he followed every attack. Doesnt he know that he has to attack on steepest part of climb to have any chance ?

It seems to me he is afraid of losing ...so he rides not to lose...except he loses in the end

If fans are waiting for Quintana to provide entertaining cycling they will have a long wait ....now Yates (both), Dan Martin and Thomas de Gendt ...not Colomban climbing sensations but they know how to ride and race and entertain

Quintana did a far more entertaining ride two weeks ago than Dan Martin has done in his whole career. :rolleyes:
I liked the Quintana's move on the last stage of P-N but that dig at Dan Martin is not justified at all. One of the most attacking riders of this generation.
It's not so much a dig at Dan Martin; I agree, he is an attacking rider.

But it's just to highlight the absolute nonsense in saying Quintana is 'afraid of losing' or 'a long wait for Quintana to provide entertainment'. When literally 10 days ago, he has put in a 50km solo attack when 2nd on GC. Which, imo, was more entertaining than anything Martin or de Gendt has done.

"Quintana did a far more entertaining ride two weeks ago than Dan Martin has done in his whole career." ..is not an attack on Dan Martin ??? Gawd if I was Dan Martin and I read that I think it was an insult to attacking riding

You are so biased you cannot see that Quintan bottles it all the time and has a fear of losing (definition you would prefer not to lose hence do not take the initiative to win ) ...You must think pedaling up a mountain in a steady state (usually on the wheel) is entertaining . You must be easily pleased

defending Quintana after today is non-sense. And comparing him with Dan Martin who today showed heart is laughable. I'm no fan of his, but respect the guy: last GDL, he pulled a move late that with some cooperation from other riders could have made the final a whole lot more exciting. Good for me they didn't :) .

We see it time and time again, and that is why Movistar still is Valverde's team. Quintana hasn't asserted his authority. Like he hasn't on the road today, when I would argue he was the strongest rider.

Tonton said:
Quintana is a disgrace. So much talent, so little panache. He had the means to whack them all, just did what he so often does. He'll never win a Tour. He's small. Dan Martin is a different story: on the ropes, he catches them and attacks. Hats off to him, brave guy.

The yeast brothers keep brewing, and Bernal showed himself as a rider who can take his responsibilities, act like a leader. Good for him. MAL playing games, maybe he thinks he's NIbali: he's not.

Pinot-Bardet not putting much effort in the end, I don't like that. De Gendt, I expected better, he can hold on, but it will be hard. At least he has heart and I think will defend his jersey like a wolverine would defend a carcass. He's brave too.

Quintana...I will never root for him ever again. No panache. In July, he'll be fighting for second as always. His riding today so disappointed me. And yes I'm over-reacting. But for Pete's sake, what a gutless performance.

Couldn't agree more. When he does actually get to the front, the first thing he does is flick his elbow and then start weaving. Yates even commented after the stage that Quintana didn't want to work. He won't be a threat in the Tour as usual. After sitting on for so long he still couldn't pick up a time bonus. Dan Martin is the opposite, too jumpy. Why attack the group he catches straightaway after he struggled to catch them ? If he had done a Quintana he had a much better chance in the sprint.

SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I think you might wanna re-watch the 2013 edition of this very race.
lol, not even close. Sneaking into a break because low on GC and riding on solo for 10km < entertaining than solo attack out of the peloton when 2nd in GC and 50km out.
Dan Martin was 30 seconds behind the leader of the race when he entered the break almost 180 km from the finish of that stage.
Quintana was 46 seconds behind the leader of the race. Also, it was not a solo attack. He soon joined a plethora of teammates working for him and other riders, some of whom even pulled at some point.

The amount of kms they rode solo was comparable. Martin won the stage and ultimately the overall. Quintana didn't.

There are countless other examples that show how Martin is an attacking and entertaining rider.

Just admit that you were exaggerating and took a dig at the wrong rider.
I could care less about Dan Martin's attacks. His attacks are usually worthless because he is more often out of GC. Quintana's attacks in his last 2 years have been worthless as well. Some of them have backfired rapidly. Ever since his 2017 Giro he has been more often out of GC as well.

Re:

HelloDolly said:

I think that is what his problem is. He is afraid of loosing and he rides not to lose.

What does Colombian climbing sensations even mean? Colombia has many riders riding in the WT nowadays. Who are you referring to?

DFA123 said:
Anderis said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

I liked the Quintana's move on the last stage of P-N but that dig at Dan Martin is not justified at all. One of the most attacking riders of this generation.
It's not so much a dig at Dan Martin; I agree, he is an attacking rider.

But it's just to highlight the absolute nonsense in saying Quintana is 'afraid of losing' or 'a long wait for Quintana to provide entertainment'. When literally 10 days ago, he has put in a 50km solo attack when 2nd on GC. Which, imo, was more entertaining than anything Martin or de Gendt has done.

Please watch the Stelvio stage of the 2012 Giro. I swear De Gendt did something more entertaining than Quintana has ever done.

TRENDING THREADS