• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2010

Only 60km of TT, hell there have been individual TTs in some GTs as long as that. Definitely suits the climbers, it may sway Sastre to include the Vuelta as one of the GTs, I honestly think the Giro/Vuelta is the best combination for Sastre in 2010.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
There isn't really a GT this year that suits the GC guys who are primarily TT riders. Is this the start of a trent (TT-light GT's) or just an odd anomaly?

A

Anonymous

pmcg76 said:
Only 60km of TT, hell there have been individual TTs in some GTs as long as that. Definitely suits the climbers, it may sway Sastre to include the Vuelta as one of the GTs, I honestly think the Giro/Vuelta is the best combination for Sastre in 2010.

I could not agree more. Giro course is suited to Sastre and Pellizotti (although i'm gunning for Evans) and the Tour is gonna be chock-a-block full of talent in 2010. Giro/Vuelta attempt by Sastre is realistic, whilst letting Hushovd and Haussler share Cervelo duties at the Tour.

With so much talent going for the Giro and Tour next year, the Vuelta is up for grabs for whoever wants it. I think Contador will ride it. His rivals from the Tour wont bother backing up, and he'll just have to beat Sastre and Mosquera and a few other GC guys not capable of contesting the Tour?

kurtinsc said:
There isn't really a GT this year that suits the GC guys who are primarily TT riders. Is this the start of a trent (TT-light GT's) or just an odd anomaly?

WHAT WOULD INDURAIN SAY??

I think to win a Grand Tour you have to be able to climb with the best AND TIME TRIAL WITH THE BEST... nowadays, it seems you just need to climb:mad:

I hope its an anomaly and they bring back at least 100kms of individual time trialling to the Tour and at least 60km to the Giro/Vuelta.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks good. Can expect fireworks from stage 3 on.

I'm wondering what they were thinking when they decided on stage 20 :)

"You want to do an ITT the day before Madrid?"
-"Hell, let's throw in another mountaintop finish."
"Uh, Really?"
-"Why not?"
"Good point."

A

Anonymous

Sidi really wanted Alberto to ride the Giro for their anniversary next year, but he won't do it. I'd love to see him put everything into the Tour, and then decide to go for the Vuelta double. But it depends on how the support riders are used. Will Vino use the same riders for the Giro that Contador wants for the Tour? If so, it would be a lot to ask them back for the Vuelta.

The night-time Team Time Trial is scary, especially for the first stage. From the point of view of a guy watching on the Internet for entertainment, I prefer a nice mountain stage with the scenery and the fans to watching the same route over and over with time splits for the excitement, so I don't mind having just the one ITT this time around.

Buffalo Soldier said:
Why is this a sticky?
Asked and answered.
Folks rightly complained when the Tour of Cali was stickied, but the Giro and Tour weren't!
Proves they are listening out there.............

Certainly, the organisers have dangled a carrot under Contador's nose, with all the climbing.
Not sure these days, whether he would have preferred more ITTing!

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I would really like to see AC go for the Tour-Vuelta double.

+1 I'd love to see this for AC. It will be interesting to see if Astana can spread their climbing domestiques out over three GTs for AC and Vino, and to figure out who would ride the Vuelta for the TTT. Vino is already planning to do Giro/Tour. I wouldn't put it past him to try all three GTs, because he's a madman on a bike, but realistically, AC would need a deep team of helpers for all those climbing stages.

Would love to see Sastre try a Giro-Vuelta double.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I love the vuelta this year, I'm going to be there for all the mountain top finishes and the finale in Madrid and I will be on the bola del mundo with my son which will be his first vuelta so I hope he gets to see contador.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
From what I have seen of the route so far looks great. The Vuelta is quickly becoming my second favourite GT after the Giro.

But we still have 72 days until the opening of the season at Het Nieuwsblad:(

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
The stages to Málaga, Valdepeñas de Jaén, Xorret de Catí and Bola del Mundo are all great, but among the rest of the big stages there's not much meat. Finishes at Lagos de Covadonga, Cotobello, Pal and Peña Cabarga are all excellent, but they need more climbs before the end. The Cotobello stage would be okay if there were more climbs in the stages to Lagos or Pal, but as it is it stands alone as the only stage with really good climbs coming together, and even then they could stick one or two more in there. The Lagos stage could definitely do with having El Fito or another climb to soften the legs.

Beech Mtn said:
+1 I'd love to see this for AC. It will be interesting to see if Astana can spread their climbing domestiques out over three GTs for AC and Vino, and to figure out who would ride the Vuelta for the TTT. Vino is already planning to do Giro/Tour. I wouldn't put it past him to try all three GTs, because he's a madman on a bike, but realistically, AC would need a deep team of helpers for all those climbing stages.

Would love to see Sastre try a Giro-Vuelta double.

That and I would love for AC to announce that he's decided to do the Giro/Vuelta double again. Snubbing the TdF might be the greatest move ever.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
That and I would love for AC to announce that he's decided to do the Giro/Vuelta double again. Snubbing the TdF might be the greatest move ever.

That would deprive cycling fans of the long awaited duel between LA and AC ;)

icefire said:
That would deprive cycling fans of the long awaited duel between LA and AC ;)

I didn't want to bring that up, but yes that would be another motivation. I think Armstrong needs AC, and the "rivalry", and depriving him of that nemesis would be just fun to watch--especially after he's tried to be-friend the rest of the GC contenders/peloton.

But this isn't about LA. I think it's good for cycling if the other GT's are treated as equals to the TdF.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The route looks amazing, lets hope the racing matches it. If Sastre ever wanted a Vuelta title I guess this is the course for him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
especially after he's tried to be-friend the rest of the GC contenders/peloton.

He only really did it with the Schlecks. And only because their contracts are up at the end of the season and he wants them on the team.

And truth be told, they've made all the noises typical of two guys about to skidaddle at the nearest opportunity.

TRENDING THREADS