• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012, Stage 9 - Andorra > Barcelona 194,0 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not enough comments on Froome apparently sucking today. He was never near the front. Valverde, who was terribly positioned at the start of the climb, says Froome looked very bad when he passed him, and that other riders were passing him too. He was among the last few guys in the group at +12".

hrotha said:
Not enough comments on Froome apparently sucking today. He was never near the front. Valverde, who was terribly positioned at the start of the climb, says Froome looked very bad when he passed him, and that other riders were passing him too. He was among the last few guys in the group at +12".

I was wondering if he might have had a mechanical on the climb (maybe Uran had to give a wheel or something) and then he had to chase back on.

Of course it's more likely just to have been fatigue or possibly bad positioning, but if guys like Mondory can hang in there, you'd think normally Froome wouldn't be in that much trouble. Doesn't look good for him though.

hrotha said:
From the four contenders I have seen on and off days constantly. So I am not surprised he is suffering. Each one of the four contenders has an issue to be called the final winner:

Contador: 6 months off the bike (in reality is lack competition)
Valvelde: Coming from a two year ban
Froome: Coming from having raced the Tour (soft pedal my a$$)
Purito: Bad TT and maybe the Giro in his legs too.

That's why the first week has been entertaining, and the last two weeks look to be the same also.

If we were to judge from this I'd go with Purito FTW.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

You're right, but going unnoticed today doesn't deserve as many comments as if the four mousqueteers become just three in the next finish they get alone ahead of the bunch.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Yes, thats what I am talking about. if the spanish commentators local to the region knew the breaks and pattern of the road, why doesn't AC know? 6months, no competition, nothing. He had enough time to come to the each route and take a look, talk with local bikers etc. Even ride it himself. Unless you are saying his so called "mistimed" was what he originally planned but there was something that didn't click....again excuses.

I haven't heard him say any excuses, have you?
What I did hear/read him say, was that he won't be at his best in the 1st week.
Today showed that again, as he couldn't sustain the attack.
The TT on Wednesday will reveal a lot.

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:

Indeed, in the finish he looked really tired, like he had nothing left.

Also, was it just me seeing things or has there been some aggressive pushing with hands between Stannard and OGE rider with about 10 km to go?

hrotha said:

let's see what the rest day will bring to us.until now,purito and even valverde seem superior to chris and alberto.of course that can change quickly in those three mountain stages.that's where you need to peak.

glad to see some pieces of the 2011 phil finally:cool:
and purito did a ballsy move,chapeau!

nogav1ca said:
Indeed, in the finish he looked really tired, like he had nothing left.

Also, was it just me seeing things or has there been some aggressive pushing with hands between Stannard and OGE rider with about 10 km to go?

I seen that also, strange one, at first i thought just avoiding bumping into each other but on watching it again, your are right, it was aggressive.

Escarabajo said:
From the four contenders I have seen on and off days constantly. So I am not surprised he is suffering. Each one of the four contenders has an issue to be called the final winner:

Contador: 6 months off the bike (in reality is lack competition)
Valvelde: Coming from a two year ban
Froome: Coming from having raced the Tour (soft pedal my a$$)
Purito: Bad TT and maybe the Giro in his legs too.

That's why the first week has been entertaining, and the last two weeks look to be the same also.

If we were to judge from this I'd go with Purito FTW.

Valverdes problem is imo more having raced the TDF (having not raced a gt for almost 3 years before that)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
lol, whoever the commentator for itv is -" On his day Froome is the strongest tter out of the top 6 gc guys by some margin"

Yeah he can beat Contador but far stronger?

Whoever said that doesn't know anything of cycling especially for the TT we're going to get wednesday.

Contador beated in that kinda TT cancellara who was at that moment close to his prime.

I'm not saying Contador will be that good but when he has his day on a hilly TT he's even with Froome prob even better.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get to see the stage but did the peleton slow up when there were Sky riders there but they did nothing? Wondering if them not chasing was the payback to BMC for the help after the Echelons that hurt Valverde?

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Yes, thats what I am talking about. if the spanish commentators local to the region knew the breaks and pattern of the road, why doesn't AC know? 6months, no competition, nothing. He had enough time to come to the each route and take a look, talk with local bikers etc. Even ride it himself. Unless you are saying his so called "mistimed" was what he originally planned but there was something that didn't click....again excuses.

Oh, I wouldn't make excuses for AC. I think he f*cked up in two consecutive races. He attacked a *little* too early yesterday and today's attack from 5 KM out (I think) was stupid.

Another exciting finale!! Vuelta is beating Tour by a mile for viewing excitement...GC guys just have a go every day it seems :)

GREAT to see Phil Win!!!! Chapeau!!!!

Purito makes a brilliant move :) How could anyone not love this guy!!!

Great race so far :D

Miburo said:
Whoever said that doesn't know anything of cycling especially for the TT we're going to get wednesday.

Contador beated in that kinda TT cancellara who was at that moment close to his prime.

I'm not saying Contador will be that good but when he has his day on a hilly TT he's even with Froome prob even better.

THe guy does know a lot about cycling though. Not as much as the average forum member but far more than say Liggett. I think a lot of knowledgable peoploe still think Contador cant tt or at least would not believe you if you told them he had won 16 tts in his career or whatever it is.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
there's a big distance between 'to be able tt' and 'to lose froome less than 1 min'. though, excuse me, im not so knowledgeable as you. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS