• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012: Stage Profiles and Analysis

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwibus said:
Obviously since he never won a GT stage.

Also one of the reasons he's overrated. Looking at him when he was 22 and 23 he was definately a future GC contender, but I don't believe it anymore :)

Yeah..overrated because he gets a ton of bad luck. Probably one of the most unlucky riders in the peloton concerning GT's

You'll eat your words, sooner or later, it's only a matter of time until he gets it together at a GT.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah..overrated because he gets a ton of bad luck. Probably one of the most unlucky riders in the peloton concerning GT's

You'll eat your words, sooner or later, it's only a matter of time until he gets it together at a GT.

I agree that there is still alot left in him, and his TTing has become alot better. But u gotta wonder why he is always unlucky. Bad positioning? Bad handling? Cant be a coincidence that he always ends up in crashes

Dekker_Tifosi said:

I know he had ****loads of bad luck. It's very unfotunate, but we and specially he has to deal with it. I think he deals with it just fine.
Let's hope I will eat my words sooner or later. You are allowed to force me to use an avatar of your choice for atleast a year :)

Cimber said:
I agree that there is still alot left in him, and his TTing has become alot better. But u gotta wonder why he is always unlucky. Bad positioning? Bad handling? Cant be a coincidence that he always ends up in crashes

It's the team that fails. They should ensure that a leader is safe during risky stages. However most of the time you see Rabobank losing sight of their leader(s) and in the end their leaders are either too far behind and lose time (happened with Menchov a lot as well) or get in/behind a fall (Gesink).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

lol @ this grasping at strings from ruben

Cimber said:

His tt has reemerged rather than improved. Funnily While searching for.something i.came across a quote.from acf in 09 that gesink is a good.tter.

This is funny as acf would spend the next few years talking about how gesink simply can't.ttp.

Kwibus said:
images

renner_7109.jpg

Holy smoke. That guy is twice the size of AC. Velasco better lock himself at night.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Bloody SBS. I mean I know they're showing more live cycling in Australia, but first Cycling Central eviscerates the highlights of non-live races, and now they can't even be arsed to show a 30 minute highlights program of the Vuelta instead squeezing in 15 minutes of highlights so as not to mess up a pommy quiz show!

TourLeTour said:
Will anyone be watching the whole thing live from the roadside?

I will be there for the three mtn stages in Asturias, where I live. I´ll be hitting the final climbs, but depending on my legs, may only make one or two. First there´s Ancares, which shouldn´t be a problem. Then Los Lagos for sure. Pajares seems a bit more, shall we say extreme. Where ever I end up on those mtns, the race should be amazing.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I would be inclined to disagree that this will be a disappointing climb considering that it is the first one of the race and will be probably raced at full pace, especially as riders come to the Vuelta expecting the racing on the final climb to be full out whilst the racing before not to be more benign due to the generally flat terrain previous.
ahahaha. oh man, have you not watched cycling in the last few years.

anyway if anything happens, it will probably be ac.

Rules & regs have been posted on the official site

Not sure if this is old news but it appears as though time bonuses at the stage finishes this year are 12" / 8" / 4" rather than the usual 20" / 12" / 8". I think 12" or 10" for the stage win is about right and would like to see the Giro and Tour follow suit

Eyeballs Out said:
Rules & regs have been posted on the official site

Not sure if this is old news but it appears as though time bonuses at the stage finishes this year are 12" / 8" / 4" rather than the usual 20" / 12" / 8". I think 12" or 10" for the stage win is about right and would like to see the Giro and Tour follow suit

Always struck me as daft that the bonus for coming 3rd rather than 4th is greater than the bonus for being 2nd rather than 3rd. This makes more sense.

Descender said:
I had forgotten how atrociously bad this year's route is.

If I ever had to explain to anyone how to design a good GT parcours in a few words, I'd show them this route and tell them to do the exact opposite.

Why?

Not wanting to be argumentative, but genuinely wondering what makes this such a bad route? Genuine time gaps before middle of first week; enough for the sprinters/rouleurs/power merchants in crosswinds for teams to have reason to bring a variety of riders; variety of finish types; relatively short, punchy stages; multiple uphill finishes of differing lengths; no major mountains neutralised by long flats afterwards.

If this is the epitome of what a parcours should not be, what makes a good one?

Armchair cyclist said:
Why?

Not wanting to be argumentative, but genuinely wondering what makes this such a bad route? Genuine time gaps before middle of first week; enough for the sprinters/rouleurs/power merchants in crosswinds for teams to have reason to bring a variety of riders; variety of finish types; relatively short, punchy stages; multiple uphill finishes of differing lengths; no major mountains neutralised by long flats afterwards.

If this is the epitome of what a parcours should not be, what makes a good one?

There is not a single stage where the hardest climb isn't the last one, which encourages the already prevalent conservative riding style. This time riders don't even have the chance to launch an attack from afar!

There is only one ITT and TEN uphill finishes. Monotony at its best.

You say there are no major mountains neutralised by flats afterwards... well that is because there just aren't any major mountains that aren't stage finish! The only exception is the Cuitu Negru stage, where there are two major mountains (San Lorenzo and Cobertoria) which are neutralised by major flats afterwards.

This route is not worthy of a GT. It caters to the current trend of anti-cycling in cycling, where nothing happens for hours and then action begins when the finish line is already within sight.

TRENDING THREADS