• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2012: Stage Profiles and Analysis

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
In 1 hour the team presentation starts?

I'm assuming so, link doesn't seem to work otherwise

Me too, it's about tv rights. They are showing some olympic stuff on TV:confused:.

I'm gonna see later if this happens to Vuelta too.

Right now 30 minutes.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
manafana said:
No matter what the route you wont please some.

Looks good enough about all the stages and a bad day can cost you time any of the days.

This Vuleta will be a race of attrition more than any GT in recent history because of this.

If the favorites come out early, a sleeper could arise in the late stages. I think the jersey will change hands many times as most will have thought this through. It should be a entertaining GT. Maybe the best of the year.

Team Sky confident they can control Contador it seems:

"Alberto’s very good on the steep climbs the Vuelta has, the ones where you need to make big, sudden accelerations,” Yates told Cyclingnews.

“But we’ve got a very strong team going there, so we’ll be able to control him unless he’s back to his absolute best where we’ll try and ride across to him when he attacks.”

“We know his strongest weapon is that sudden acceleration on the climbs, but we’ve got the kind of team that can pull that back and launch Chris up to him.”

Hmmm:(

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:

"Alberto’s very good on the steep climbs the Vuelta has, the ones where you need to make big, sudden accelerations,” Yates told Cyclingnews.

“But we’ve got a very strong team going there, so we’ll be able to control him unless he’s back to his absolute best where we’ll try and ride across to him when he attacks.”

“We know his strongest weapon is that sudden acceleration on the climbs, but we’ve got the kind of team that can pull that back and launch Chris up to him.”

Lol if they are going to let Contador just ride away, they should just give up al ready.

Froome is actually explosive as well right? Why not just send Froome up the road with Contador when it gets steep?

ferryman said:

Wow Sky never stops to amaze me. First in the Tour, the great climber Michael Rogers vs Evans/Nibali can put such a high pace that no one can stay away, so there wasn't the need for Wiggins to follow anyone else. Now they're planning to do the same with Contador vs Henao/Uran. Someone please explain how this work on steep grades. Isn't the advantage of following wheels much smaller?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
Wow Sky never stops to amaze me. First in the Tour, the great climber Michael Rogers vs Evans/Nibali can put such a high pace that no one can stay away, so there wasn't the need for Wiggins to follow anyone else. Now they're planning to do the same with Contador vs Henao/Uran. Someone please explain how this work on steep grades. Isn't the advantage of following wheels much smaller?

Sometimes you think they have a hidden weapon and sometimes you think they didn't see any race of Alberto.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Given that I have yet to see a complete view of the overall standings after the first stage (with the time gaps for dropped riders and whatnot) I wonder if Unipublic didn't just decide to completely neutralize the stage. Help?

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:

No, Sky is just being silly.

Henao/Uran are probably better climbers than Porte and Rogers btw, so they have the manpower, but this train thing just doesn't work properly when it's steep, irregular gradients, shorter climbs, and your opponent is Alberto Contador.

So arrogant of Sky.....

I mean I like Froome and the Colombians too, but this type of arrogance is exactly why Cavendish didn't win his gold medal. Haven't they learned their lesson?

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't think it's arrogant of Sky. Regardless of whether it'll work, I do think what Yates said is the best tactic to tackle Contador.

Of course it is the best tactic. He basically says 'ride hard to make it hard for Contador to attack and when Contador does attack, try to get back to him'. Sounds like a solid tactic to me. Actually doing it will be the problem.

I'm loving the Vuelta so far. Here we are so early in the race and we have already seen some tough stages, some time differences, and the emergence of Purito, Froome, and Contador at the top, but it's obviously still close enough for others to be in contention.

I love tours with many climbs though. I want to see that selection, not sprint finish after sprint finish. They only thing they might have done to make this Vuelta even better would have been to have more ITT kilometers. Make those mountain goats earn it against the clock too.

TRENDING THREADS