• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 9: Orihuela - Cumbres del Sol, 174 km

La Vuelta arrives at the last day before the first rest day. For the 2nd time in 3 years, it is Cumbres del Sol where our heroes do battle. The first time the Vuelta finished at the Summit of the Sun, a young star shone brightly during one of their first great rides. Tomorrow, an old star will shine brightly for one of his last legendary rides. For the universe is symmetry, and symmetry is the universe, so shall it be. Alberto Contador will win this bike race, or I will have to reassess my metaphysical beliefs.

stage-9-profile.png

cumbre-del-sol-variante-mas-dura-apm.png

sptdw375_670.jpg

Not sure that 3.75km at 10.3%, no matter how irregular and having 20% pitches, deserves to be Cat. 1. Not a great stage to bookend the first week, but oh well. Either breakaway or Froome to be outsprinted by Contador on the last 100m. Nibali and Chaves to lose 20 seconds.

Re:

hazaran said:
They are really overdoing it with those childs play 3k climbs. Thank god next week has some actual mountains.

They climbs are only as difficult as the riders make it. We've seen time again these big hyped up mountain stages in the Tour and elsewhere promising big action but in the end it's all about the final few kilometers, if even that. So these short steep climbs provide the same entertainment in the end and probably even bigger gaps.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Alberto Contador will not win this bike race.
I hope that you are wrong...

Will TJVG's wheels come off? It's bound to happen at some point. Yes, Bertie or Chaves, or Nibali (doubtful). We need the drama on rest day...LaFlo to post 5000 posts...that's a safe bet :p .

Zakarin or Bardet will lit it up.

I'm betting on everybody here :) .

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Alberto Contador will not win this bike race.
I hope that you are wrong...

Will TJVG's wheels come off? It's bound to happen at some point. Yes, Bertie or Chaves, or Nibali (doubtful). We need the drama on rest day...LaFlo to post 5000 posts...that's a safe bet :p .

Zakarin or Bardet will lit it up.

I'm betting on everybody here :) .

C'mon you want Tejay's wheels to fall off ? He already had his hands fall off........the handlebars that is. Bardet ? No. Zakarin ? No. I hope Tejay can tough it out and keep his losses down. Hard to say who will win this one but if Red Rick says Contador enough times the mantra may materialize ! Froome of course will be up their beating eggs as usual.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Tank Engine said:
A pretty similar finishing climb to yesterday's. The difference today is that I think the break will be caught. Contador and Froome will go head to head and both will double the number of their wins this season. ;)
:lol: But yeah, I hope you are right.

TRENDING THREADS