• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017 stage 9: Orihuela - Cumbres del Sol, 174 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Red Rick said:
Biggest problem with Froome riding like this is that there's like 0 anticipation for the GC fight.

Maybe I'm odd but sometimes I just think "it's his turn". I don't mind a boring Vuelta if Froome finally wins.
It's not odd; that's how all fanboys/girls think.

Oh come on, if Contador was whooping *** it would be no different would it.
If Contador had a choo-choo all the way to 800m to go, then attacked without victory ever being in doubt, it would've been equally suspenseless and void of tension. I would be happier with the result though.
Its still a stupid statement and reeks of jealousy. You don't have to be a fanboy if you root for Froome after all his near misses in this race at all.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Maybe I'm odd but sometimes I just think "it's his turn". I don't mind a boring Vuelta if Froome finally wins.

If Contador had a choo-choo all the way to 800m to go, then attacked without victory ever being in doubt, it would've been equally suspenseless and void of tension. I would be happier with the result though.
Its still a stupid statement and reeks of jealousy. You don't have to be a fanboy if you root for Froome after all his near misses in this race at all.
The user also said that he/she doesn't mind a boring race if Froome wins. So I think calling a user fanboy because of that post is not a stupid statement.

bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Red Rick said:
Biggest problem with Froome riding like this is that there's like 0 anticipation for the GC fight.

Isn't that exactly what I wrote? I don't agree with his thoughts but if it had been Contador I'd be thinking the same. Hence the inclusion of "girls".

Well a boring sprint on a mountain top but by now people should be used to it from the TDF. This profile was probably too much up down and maybe with a headwind, it discouraged attacks. Considering that we had one sprint stage so far,it is ok.
For me even if Froome wins with egg beater attacks, it is watchable instead of the 2017 July Tour de Sprints. I had to lower my standard expectancy for stages after July.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:

Its still a stupid statement and reeks of jealousy.
Ok mr. Mod.

Forever The Best said:
The user also said that he/she doesn't mind a boring race if Froome wins. So I think calling a user fanboy because of that post is not a stupid statement.
I've been called out many times for similar statements but it's just how you think if you're a big fan of a particular rider (i.e. fanboy or fangirl).

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
[quote="

Only reason to watch a cycling race would be for enjoyment. That's either due to suspense or seeing a satisfying outcome coming to be. This Vuelta is just about over after 9 days, and there's been no suspense about the GC whatsoever. Contador hanging on for dear life once and attacking once and Nibali sneaking in a stage win don't make it a good Vuelta. They just make it a slightly less shitty Vuelta.

And as for Froome missing out so many times, that doesn't change anything for me. His team have strangled every bit of tension out of 83% of the last 6 Tours, and I can't really say I'm happy to see that extended to the Vuelta as well.

As usual, the same old faces are throwing their usual salt around here.

Well deserved win today for Froome and impressed with Chaves and Woods who were fighting hard to stay on. Woods particularly over the last week has been really impressive.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
LaFlorecita said:
[quote="

Only reason to watch a cycling race would be for enjoyment. That's either due to suspense or seeing a satisfying outcome coming to be. This Vuelta is just about over after 9 days, and there's been no suspense about the GC whatsoever. Contador hanging on for dear life once and attacking once and Nibali sneaking in a stage win don't make it a good Vuelta. They just make it a slightly less ****** Vuelta.

And as for Froome missing out so many times, that doesn't change anything for me. His team have strangled every bit of tension out of 83% of the last 6 Tours, and I can't really say I'm happy to see that extended to the Vuelta as well.
The way he attacks gives me a tremendous adrenaline rush in a way that most other GC riders don't, in fact none of them at the moment. I can enjoy that for its own sake. But that's a personal thing of course and doesn't apply to most others.

LaFlorecita said:
HelloDolly said:
Also one could ignore SKY and look at the race for second ? Its an idea
That's what I've been trying for 5 years but you have to admit they're a bit hard to ignore.

Totally impossible if watching on a UK channel. Because it's pretty much wall to wall proctology from start to finish. I get a certain amount of nationalism from a UK broadcaster (although why Sky continue to be equated with the UK beats me) but I do resent everything being framed through a Sky lens. Just commentate on the race, rather than analyse every incident from Sky's perspective. I'd quite like to hear about what options they believe other GC contenders have from here, or even who's doing what for other jerseys. But I watched the highlights the other day and they didn't even bother to mention or summarise who was in the other jerseys. And that was ITV. ES is literally intolerable.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re:

bob.a.feet said:
TBH I think Froome's celebration needs a lot of work

he's awkward looking no matter what he does

he knows how to spin though

it looks like the Tour this year was just Froome riding himself into form to peak at the Vuelta :)

DIQQPtTW0AAs-_-.jpg

Froome, Chaves and Woods faster than Dumoulin 2 years ago.

Re:

Hayabusa said:
As usual, the same old faces are throwing their usual salt around here.

Well deserved win today for Froome and impressed with Chaves and Woods who were fighting hard to stay on. Woods particularly over the last week has been really impressive.

Woods has always been this good on these short climbs, he just hasn't been in the limelight much.
I didn't get the feeling he was underappreciated, but seeing the discussion of which Cannondale riders other teams would want has made me realize a lot of people don't know how good he is.

Longer climbs on the other hand, he can't deal with. Unless he's magically improved by a lot he's going to drop out of sight of the GC fight on the big climbs. Luckily there are barely any in this Vuelta. Unfortunately there's also the TT and he's likely to lose 5 minutes or more there as well.

El Pistolero said:
rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
These Sky guys are completely obsessed with thic race. We need someone to go for one second so that nobody else takes away ONE second from our leader.
isn't that a good thing that they want to fight for everything and give the fans a race?

Nobody likes Sky, that's why cycling has become less popular over these last few years.

I really don't know what you are talking about.

El Pistolero said:
rick james said:
El Pistolero said:
rick james said:
Max Rockatansky said:
These Sky guys are completely obsessed with thic race. We need someone to go for one second so that nobody else takes away ONE second from our leader.
isn't that a good thing that they want to fight for everything and give the fans a race?

Nobody likes Sky, that's why cycling has become less popular over these last few years.
Not in mainly English speaking countries...Its booming...the new world of cycling

Not even Brits like Froome, that's why they pass him over for prestigious awards.

The same.

It is true that Brits have a much colder attitude towards Froome than any other important cyclist, or even most sportspeople. His upbringing isn't as easy a sell to the british public than Wiggins' working-class, single-mother, north london, rags-to-riches story. Cavendish is also much more well-liked, as is Chris Hoy. Perhaps it is Froome's lack of Olympic gold, although the fact that his first time on British soil was the 2012 Olympics is more likely (this is often thrown around, not sure if it is true but you get the jist). He is lucky he isn't black, otherwise he'd be completely ignored.