• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 Stage 2:Marbella – Caminito del Rey 163.5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With an uphill start, it'll be easy to spot who's suffering from injuries, sickness or bad form. Seems like half of the peloton might win today but I would not be surprised if Yates (shaven) starts his "Giro repris" tactics with getting bonus seconds/seconds on his rivals before week 3's ITT.

Cobo won by just 13 seconds in 2011 so ...

Edit - looking at the map of 2015's stage it seems that the video I linked to is all the way to the 2015 finish. They don't go the whole route this time so there's no steep finish.
2015 stage map at https://cdn.cyclingstage.com/images/vuelta-spain/2015/stage-2-route.jpg

Today's stage map at https://v2-medias.aso.fr/core_app/i...ute-etape-2/0628/0:0,1500:1918-960-0-70/3add0

Parcours looks a lot like some of the Tour of Poland stages - where different kinds of riders could win, but Kwia took the chocolates. He's in serious form and has a red jersey to claim. Definite favourite.

Think Dennis will mark him though, so not sure he'll get the jersey.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
Parcours looks a lot like some of the Tour of Poland stages - where different kinds of riders could win, but Kwia took the chocolates. He's in serious form and has a red jersey to claim. Definite favourite.

Think Dennis will mark him though, so not sure he'll get the jersey.

Or one of the other highly placedBMC guyscould get the jersey...they seem in form...Teuns or Bookwalter ..maybe late attack by de Marchi who was great yesterday and in Poland

Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Blanco said:
Flamin said:
All depends on Sagan. If he's not in top shape, I can't see anyone beating Kwiatkowski.

Valverde will beat Kwiatkowski in almost any uphill sprint, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for the win.

On a harder finish yes, but this one suits Kwiat very well and he's obviously in amazing shape, so he's my favourite.

Kwiat almost got outsprinted by Teuns in an uphill sprint, in Poland (his second victory). So, my money would be on Sagan (unless he's out of shape).

Squire said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I'd also say Benoot, McCarthy and Fraile are outside bets. The last two if they are allowed to ride their own chance tomorrow, of course.
Lambrecht might be the guy for Lotto
In the finishes in Poland, he was nowhere in sight. After his win against Albasini & Boason Hagen i expected him to show himself there. So i'm doubtful he will be a real threat in the Vuelta.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Flamin said:
Blanco said:
Flamin said:
All depends on Sagan. If he's not in top shape, I can't see anyone beating Kwiatkowski.

Valverde will beat Kwiatkowski in almost any uphill sprint, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for the win.

On a harder finish yes, but this one suits Kwiat very well and he's obviously in amazing shape, so he's my favourite.

Kwiat almost got outsprinted by Teuns in an uphill sprint, in Poland (his second victory). So, my money would be on Sagan (unless he's out of shape).

That's hardly a bad thing.

Re:

Midnightfright said:
Sagan was a bit slower on the prologue than I was expecting so I have a feeling he isn't 100%. If that's the case it is far more open, hard to tell the exact steepness of the finish but hard to argue Kwiat will be there with that prologue.

I will throw Matteo Trentins name into the hat as well and he will be my pick for the stage

Trentin was awful in a suitable prologue - Maybe he took it easy - We'll see.

yaco said:
Midnightfright said:
Sagan was a bit slower on the prologue than I was expecting so I have a feeling he isn't 100%. If that's the case it is far more open, hard to tell the exact steepness of the finish but hard to argue Kwiat will be there with that prologue.

I will throw Matteo Trentins name into the hat as well and he will be my pick for the stage

I have to say I didn't really consider his prologue. It is conceivable he held back if he felt the stage 2 finish suited him

Midnightfright said:
yaco said:
Midnightfright said:

I have to say I didn't really consider his prologue. It is conceivable he held back if he felt the stage 2 finish suited him

Same for sagan

tomorrow said:
Midnightfright said:
yaco said:
Midnightfright said:

Same for sagan

Sagan didn't look like holding back. He sprinted towards the line and even threw his bike at the line.

He's just not fully recovered yet, I fear.

Which makes his survival of the stage 19 of the Tour all the more impressive.

Last k is too hard to the sprinters with the exception of Peter.

I don't know how Sagan is feeling but he should be able to win this with his eyes closed if he is alright. Kwai needs a harder stage to outsprint him and Valverde needs a steeper gradient to drop him (7%+)..