• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2018 stage 21: Alcorcón - Madrid 100.9 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Viviani has had an amazing year. 18 wins, 7 GT stage wins, two semi-classics, national champion, gold and silver medal at european track championships, a few other stages and quite a number of placings in one day races. Only blemish maybe is the 2nd place at Gent - had he won that, it would have been one of the best years from a sprinter in a while.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
How on earth do they have Simon Yates coming 32nd on that stage, and Adam apparently waving to everyone at 1:04. Twin doping?

I don't know what you think you saw, but Simon definitely was in the peloton, just before Gorka. Adam just rolls in a minute later but doesn't wave to anyone. Mollema does right behind him in his red jersey.

Only 18 abandons throughout the race must be close to a GT record. In fact, 158 riders finished the race - exactly the same as last year (curiously, this number have been either 158 or 159 for the last five years) despite 22 fewer participants.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Only 18 abandons throughout the race must be close to a GT record. In fact, 158 riders finished the race - exactly the same as last year (curiously, this number have been either 158 or 159 for the last five years) despite 22 fewer participants.

Considering all the guys recovering and with "one eye on the Worlds", 18 was a lot less then I expected.

If Yates had gone to Sky back in the past, Sky would have won all 3 GTs with 3 different riders.

(Thanks for all the kind words too on the stage threads :))

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Armchair cyclist said:
How on earth do they have Simon Yates coming 32nd on that stage, and Adam apparently waving to everyone at 1:04. Twin doping?

I don't know what you think you saw, but Simon definitely was in the peloton, just before Gorka. Adam just rolls in a minute later but doesn't wave to anyone. Mollema does right behind him in his red jersey.

Simon very clearly came in behind the main bunch, waving and celebrating. They didn't let him back out on the course so quickly to gain the applause did they?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:

I wonder how possible something like this is...

Simon did crack big time in the only race where he didn't ride with his brother.

El Pistolero said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Simon did crack big time in the only race where he didn't ride with his brother.

We'll see in GTs to come... but seriously it would be the greatest scheme ever

El Pistolero said:
Armchair cyclist said:

I think it could be possible but not in this case. Adam has a scar on the chin from some crashes and they aren't identical anyway, even if they look very much alike.

TRENDING THREADS