• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2019, Stage 20: Arenas de San Pedro - Plataforma de Gredos > 190.4 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Okay, can't blame them :). I just love Bianchi aqua.
The Bianchi Celeste is by far my favorite bike color, guess we'll have to suffer through Roglic's red bicycle tomorrow. (Only once have I seen a Celeste in my city, I just about crapped my pants with glee as it passed by.)

On another note - like others have said upthread I'm very excited by Pogacar and all these other young riders that have cropped up this year, there's a reason to be excited about the future of cycling. :)

Reactions: Carols
EEcdvu2XkAAkfzz.jpg:large

EEcKjidXYAA5cYn.jpg:large
Must... resist... making Dutch... "beer"... joke.... AAAaaAaaargh.

I'm kidding guys, there are plenty of great Dutch beers (though Heineken isn't one of them).

Podcast: Post-Stage 20 Analysis with Ned and David (33:22 English) — itv
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...preaker.com/v2/episodes/19101960/play&yr=2019

Stage 20 Post Race Show w/ L Birnie, D Friebe (47:47 English) — cyclingpodcast

The Bianchi Celeste is by far my favorite bike color, guess we'll have to suffer through Roglic's red bicycle tomorrow. (Only once have I seen a Celeste in my city, I just about crapped my pants with glee as it passed by.)

I just think it's awesome that he waited until the last stage. I don't like the concept of getting all decked out in jersey colours just because you happens to have a jersey for maybe one day.

and yet for all the talk of a super high level, Lopez only gained a bit over 2 minutes on Majka in the road stages, so overall he wasn't that great

Quintana got 5 minutes over the rest on a stage where 99 times out of a 100, most favorites finish together or at least limit their losses

and the extremely high level of Valverde resulted in him beating a U-21 rider by 20 seconds

The Vuelta was occasionally entertaining, but it's difficult to say how much actual quality was there
Oh please, you can do this exercise for any GT.

Oh please, you can do this exercise for any GT.
GTs usually favour the consistent, no?

I'd say this year the GTs are simply harder to compare than most other years.

That being said, I am over MAL as a potential winner. He's just not that good. He'll have days where he's the best climber of the favorites and fail to gain time anyway and when he's bad he loses time to all the favorites, not to mention his awful TTs.

Agree. Pretty weak Vuelta and Roglic got it with relative ease. Valverde can't really make difference anywhere, Quintana was just lost and Tour in his legs and Pogacar is good, but not exactly Bernal of this world in terms of top consistency. And MAL just keeps on figuring out the ways to not be even close the winner of GT.

Yes, I would say Valverde was in similar shape as in the TdF, Quintana in slightly worse shape. Both barely made it into the top ten at the Tour and here they are 2nd and 4th. And this year's Tour wasn't the most amazing competition either, especially after Pinot didn't make it to Paris. Also after Majka on 6th place, it is really getting wild, none of the guys after him had anything remotely to do with the fight for the podium at any point of the race, each of them benefitted from breakaways where they gained massive amounts of time. I'd say in your average GT those riders would have a hard time to crack the top 20.

TRENDING THREADS