• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 4: September 1 - Venlo - Liège, 224km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Horner, Mosquera and Kessiakoff seem to have got by far the worst of it.
Most of Saxobank came in together, so it's difficult to tell, but Matti B looked rough...

Eurosport said that the Fuji-Servetto guy sitting on the wall looking really bad was Kessiakoff, but he's down in the results as finishing less than a minute back, so if the results are right it couldn't have been him. A whole bunch of other Fuji guys finished right at the end.

Also, the Galicia guy who crossed the line with two teammates pushing him isn't Mosqueira according to the results. He's down as crossing the line a bit later on with only one teammate with him. 3 of his teammates did finish together at about 3 minutes. (Edit: the official results have just been posted on the Vuelta site and he does have 2 other teammates with him, so I'm wrong there)

I appreciate the results are only provisional at the moment, but that's just something I noticed.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I know my German riders. ;)

Susan

I know their faces and body shapes full well.

Believe me, I can recognize Sieberg and all the others just fine....just not on a crappy 12 inch Mitsai TV with horrible picture that I've been using since my regular TV is on the fritz :p

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Gmt-11

Thoughtforfood said:
On a side note, that Greipel is one ugly dude.

This racing is so much more interesting than the Tour! What's with all the slick roads? Did riders get the wrong tyres today???

The racing lacks the repetitive formula that marks most Tour de France stages.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if Team Columbia has set a record for victories in one year. They have some powerful lead out riders; they toasted the 2 Italians..(Tosatto and Velo), and Weylandt was left alone to give it a shot; that Greipel looks like a tank!! It seems Weylandt was much faster last year.

Does anybody know who the rider was that fell and caused the pileup? I know he was in 7th place at the time.

A

Anonymous

kukiniloa said:
This racing is so much more interesting than the Tour! What's with all the slick roads? Did riders get the wrong tyres today???

The racing lacks the repetitive formula that marks most Tour de France stages.

I did read somewhere that many didn't have the right tires.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
delgado said:
"Alto de Cauberg" - I love it!

Should the Tour be holding the queen mountain stage in Austria one day, we'll be treated to the "Col du Grand Glockner"

Good thing the Vuelta didn't go through Brugges. In spanish it's Brujas ("Witches").

A few years ago (during Euro 2000) the spanish national football team were panicking (apparently quite a few of them were superstitious) because their bus broke down entering Brugges on a friday the 13th under sweltering heat in a place with no shade, trees, nothing and the air conditioning on the bus wouldn't work :D

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Good thing the Vuelta didn't go through Brugges. In spanish it's Brujas ("Witches").

A few years ago (during Euro 2000) the spanish national football team were panicking (apparently quite a few of them were superstitious) because their bus broke down entering Brugges on a friday the 13th under sweltering heat in a place with no shade, trees, nothing and the air conditioning on the bus wouldn't work :D

So how did the spanish team do in the Euro 2000?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
I know their faces and body shapes full well.

Believe me, I can recognize Sieberg and all the others just fine....just not on a crappy 12 inch Mitsai TV with horrible picture that I've been using since my regular TV is on the fritz :p

I think it sucks watching on universalsports online. You dont get a close up, and even the commentator got the names wrong. I guess it has to do with the narrow dutch roads, feeling strange after watching TDF. you're right, after you follow someone for a while, you spot them right away. I could tell Cioleck, he's sprint is funny - I am glad he won a stage.

I cant wait til it's in the mountains.

THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF HORNER’S POLICY:

1] Any accidents occurring on narrow roads in the Basque Country are NOT covered. Especially if said accident is caused by anyone with a bizarre sounding Basque name like Igor, Gorka or Mikel.

2] Insurance covers no medial costs for injuries that occur while wearing tight lycra sportswear. This includes any and all “team” wear of professional cycling squads.

3] Coverage will be denied when said injuries occur as a result of the use of a two-wheeled bicycle regardless of make or manufacture.

4] Participant assumes all costs for hospital care in the event of any dangerous activities associated with the Giro d’Italia. Like stages 1 through 21.

5] Mounting, steering, shifting gears and pedaling ANY bicycle voids all medical payments. Participant assumes 100% of out-of-pocket expenses.

6] The Veulta a Espana is listed as insane and “way out-of network” activity. Insurer assumes no obligation or re-imbursement. This goes double when the Tour of Spain is run in the Netherlands.

7] Chris, get the picture, buddy — we’re not paying. You can’t stay upright on your bike. Get a safer occupation like fire-fighter or rodeo clown. Your policy is officially cancelled.

A

Anonymous

just out of interest..

who is out after yesterday, what has happened about dan martins protest, who is injured, who isnt..

i have just gone to cycling news for the first time in ages, and frankly their coverage is absolutely shocking

thehog said:
THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF HORNER’S POLICY:

1] Any accidents occurring on narrow roads in the Basque Country are NOT covered. Especially if said accident is caused by anyone with a bizarre sounding Basque name like Igor, Gorka or Mikel.

2] Insurance covers no medial costs for injuries that occur while wearing tight lycra sportswear. This includes any and all “team” wear of professional cycling squads.

3] Coverage will be denied when said injuries occur as a result of the use of a two-wheeled bicycle regardless of make or manufacture.

4] Participant assumes all costs for hospital care in the event of any dangerous activities associated with the Giro d’Italia. Like stages 1 through 21.

5] Mounting, steering, shifting gears and pedaling ANY bicycle voids all medical payments. Participant assumes 100% of out-of-pocket expenses.

6] The Veulta a Espana is listed as insane and “way out-of network” activity. Insurer assumes no obligation or re-imbursement. This goes double when the Tour of Spain is run in the Netherlands.

7] Chris, get the picture, buddy — we’re not paying. You can’t stay upright on your bike. Get a safer occupation like fire-fighter or rodeo clown. Your policy is officially cancelled.

way too funny!!!
:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

Brugges means Bridges or city of Bridges; not witches.

:)

TRENDING THREADS