• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 6: Xativa - Xativa 176,8Km

Vuelta a España - Stage 6: Xativa - Xativa 176,8Km

Another stage for the sprinters?

6_perfil.gif

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Maybe today we'll see a bit more of Philippe Gilbert-like action again today? Phil's Stage 5 attack was great, wasn't it, even if the terrain didn't quite favor a good late breakaway move. Maybe not steep enough, up or down? Maybe too far from the line?
Stage 6 though is supposed to have a lip at the end, something to favor a late-race attack. Before Caddle's announcement yesterday that he was not at the Vuelta to race but only to train (Damnit how I hate those little pronouncements: Even if they are being truthful, the riders should be forbidden to talk that crap), I thought that Stage 6 was made for him, especially the new, firery, racer-boy Cadel. Really, I could see it my mind's eye, he and Alejandro, the Green Bullet streaking and the Teddy Bear chugging, towards the line like in one of the Ardennes races! Now I don't have it there anymore, the vision I mean. Now I see AV ripping towards the line and Caddle training, conserving calories, calculating the net gain or loss of power in the new "volts to go" power meter readout.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Do you think you might use real names instead of nicknames you made up? I figured out who "caddle" is, but Teddy Bear?????

Susan

I remind you you're addressing a guy who spells "Hed" :D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Cadel announced weeks ago that the worlds were his priorities not just yesterday. But he also said he would wait and see how he was going at Vuelta before switching to training mode.

Not may GC riders will attack early this Vuelta as the second rest day is after Stage 11, (why so early?) meaning there will be some very tired riders come the last couple of days.

Kim Kirchen hasn't signed on.
With the second rest day after stage 11, expect a mass exodus of high profile riders.
For the second day in succession Jose Antonio Lopez Gil (Andalucia Cajasur) and Matheus Pronk (Vacansoleil) are in an early breakaway. They are joined by Bingen Fernandez (Cofidis) and Aitor Perez (Contentpolis) and have opened up a four minute lead.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Another stage for the sprinters?

Probably... but it is really nice to see a few little hills to give someone a chance for an attack, like Gilbert attempted yesterday. I'm hoping Boonen will come through for a win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ballan and Lainus Gurdemen, some of the usual suspects.

Matje Breschel looked strong up hill.

and finally, Phil Dilbert, he made the jump and bridged the gap. Now we know the race has started for real. Ex-Saunier polka dot dude de la Fuente sprinted up to the main group as well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
YES!!! Bozic disrupted Farar by starting at the 5.4km point almost!!! What a long sprint.

one of Evans better results this year, if it was actually him finishing 8th

Duque and Chavanel good on the front, no Greipel, Freire...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
wow, impressive sprint by bozic.

vacansoleil takes a stage. attacking every day and after that trying in the sprints.
good to see them win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Farrar should never have lost it from there.
vacansoleil showing that they are leagues ahead of skil shimano.

to be fair, Skil was doing the TdF this year, not the vuelta, so the competition might have been a tad tougher...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
that is true bala. But It's hard to argue that vacansoleil aren't better. I like skil, they ride with a lot of heart, but they just don't seem like a threat like vacansoleil are.

Mellow Velo said:
Bozic does what he's been threatening to do, all week.
The mystery continues.
I haven't picked a podium spotter, since the prologue!
Evans beats Greipel?:eek:

evans was so high up. I dunno if he is trying to find form for the worlds, or riding this high up to benefit from (minimal, like yesterday) time gaps in the field.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Cadel announced weeks ago that the worlds were his priorities not just yesterday. But he also said he would wait and see how he was going at Vuelta before switching to training mode.

Not may GC riders will attack early this Vuelta as the second rest day is after Stage 11, (why so early?) meaning there will be some very tired riders come the last couple of days.

IMO evans wants to win the vuelta, but my saying he has the worlds in mind he aputs less pressure on himself and less media expectation, which again helps with the pressure.

I think Evans will be the best of the GCrs on saturday, but I'm not so sure he will survive in the mountains, we'll see...

TRENDING THREADS