• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 8: September 6 - Alzira - Alto de Aitana, 206km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
wow! Cunego timed his attack. Moncoutie almost had it, and then the little prince crushed him in the final K. Good to see Gesink is in for some action. He was 3rd, took time and bonus seconds.

Evans, Valverde and Sanchez took some time on Basso even... Let's see how Basso is going to attack his opponents in the next couple of days...

Evans in gold, should go down well with a few, here.
Top 6 all within 46" Top 3, within 3".
Couldn't ask for better.
Is the Little Prince finally back as a GT contender?
(Eurosport commentator's were all laughing and taking the piss)

Bro...you are back. Must be pleased with Tommy's day.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Basso just isn't that good.
Certainly not extra-terrestrial.

He took a pull today and it seemed as if some were pushing it in the red zone. He just doesn't have that final acceleration, but on some steep, longer climbs, I still think he could wreck some havock one of these days.

And in a way, I prefer not seeing extra-terrestial action ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Basso just isn't that good.
Certainly not extra-terrestrial.

And especially with the climb tomorrow suiting everyone but him, he's out.

The Vuelta is long, though, and a lot of people that were great today are going to blow up completely in a week or so.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Sweet. I like like rice; I would fit right in. I don't know about the team kit though.

If you're on a program nowadays you need an ugly kit.
Just look at Telekom, Mapei, Kelme, Columbia.
It's the code.

Bala Verde said:
He took a pull today and it seemed as if some were pushing it in the red zone. He just doesn't have that final acceleration, but on some steep, longer climbs, I still think he could wreck some havock one of these days.

And in a way, I prefer not seeing extra-terrestial action ;)

This race will be a race of attrition. As long as Basso can ride consistently strong in all the mountains, many others will have a jour sans. He just has to keep the pressure on.

This week will be very interesting. I am not all that convinced by Evans. His ITT was not as good as usual. I don't think his form is anywhere near what it was during the Dauphine.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am not all that convinced by Evans. His ITT was not as good as usual. I don't think his form is anywhere near what it was during the Dauphine.

But that could just be enough.
I'm not convinced by Valverde as a GC man. Basso need a new gyno. Saxo is out. Cunego is a classics man. Marchante is fragile. Gesink needs more years. Mosquera is hurt. Sanchez has everything to prove in a grand tour.

I think if Evans just plays his steady game, he could finally take his big win.

ak-zaaf said:
But that could just be enough.
I'm not convinced by Valverde as a GC man. Basso need a new gyno. Saxo is out. Cunego is a classics man. Marchante is fragile. Gesink needs more years. Mosquera is hurt. Sanchez has everything to prove in a grand tour.

I think if Evans just plays his steady game, he could finally take his big win.

Nope, my man Tommy D. will win it. :) And I'll laugh my ass off if that happens.

I think Valverde will fade on one of the mountain stages...but then again, he has nothing to lose. He might be super "prepared."

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow... what a great stage today. It's also good to see all of the favorites still in the hint after the first week and after the first mountain stage. The next week or so are going to be really fun to watch! :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Flame me, but i love that kit.
But they we're pretty strong in the tour right? :)

Touché!

about the kit, I think it's 'interesting', and certainly not dull, or mainstream ;). Somehow I prefer the Liquigas colours.

I am still waiting for Rabobank to come up with something 'interesting' before I can support the team haha.

TRENDING THREADS