• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 9: September 7 - Alcoy - Xorret de Catí, 186km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink just sprinted in a straight line and Evans was trying to go through a gap that wasn't there.

Besides, payback time for Ventoux in Paris Nice 2008 for Evans

+ 1

evans is just tryin to make excuses for his loss (of the lead) to valverde.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Anyway, next friday, saturday and sunday will be the three brutal mountain stages that will decide this.

Especially Sunday with the Sierra de la Pandera. It's the only climb I know that guarantees the complete shattering of a group of climbers.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Uhm, you people do realize that no matter how whiney Evans normally is, what Gesink did is against the rules, right?

I won't dispute that it was a bad move. But these things happen in a bike race, and it's more important for Cadel to keep his mind on the bigger picture. Suck it up and move on. And that's where I think he's weaker than some... his legs sure look strong enough.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I actually think it is better for Cadel to be where he is now instead of having to use his team to try and control the race. Valverde will now have to use his team to do the race controlling and its a long way from the last rest day to the finish.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
was an excellent stage Bella. Epic finish. Probably better for evans if he does lose the lead.

That is true. Evans does not have the team to defend it. It would be best to take the gold jersey for the final time later in the race.

My opinion of Evans just went up a lot. I don't recall him ever riding like that in the mountains prior to this year. He really looked great.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That is true. Evans does not have the team to defend it. It would be best to take the gold jersey for the final time later in the race.

Although I do agree with this, I think Lloyd and especially De Greef are being underestimated.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyone noticed how the parked cars forced the split between Valverde/Evans/Basso and the rest? Evans attacked right there, the sportive person he is...

Yeah....put a few people into trouble at that point. Cunego almost had to come to a stop at one point.

Hope there's not a lot of Angliru type whinging about the cars, otherwise Cati will "disappear" for 5 or 6 years.

Sanchez was hurt yesterday and it showed big time, today.

Evans may not thank Gesink, but his team should.
Valverde has a pretty impressive record, when it comes to winning GT leaders jerseys, only to lose them again, when it counts.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anyone noticed how the parked cars forced the split between Valverde/Evans/Basso and the rest? Evans attacked right there, the sportive person he is...

Yeah that was pretty odd, Gesink got gapped big time there, had to work his *** off to get onto TD's wheel. But that is why the GC riders gotta be atentive i guess.

Agree with you BroDeal. that is nearly the best i've ever seen cadel ride.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
It looks like a race between Evans and Valverde (rematch of the dauphine libere). Valverde might have an edge on the road, while Evans fares slightly well in TT. I hope Evans gets it here.

Robert Gesink still has lots to improve. to win any of the GT, one has to be able to attack in the moutains.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Is Cunego peaking too early for the Worlds?

Cunego hasn't ridden this well in a GT for a long time. My faith in the little prince is growing :D

dblueroom said:
Robert Gesink still has lots to improve. to win any of the GT, one has to be able to attack in the moutains.

Gesink is holdinh himself fine imo. Look at his age.
compare him to the other young riders in the vuelta? he is leagues ahead of the other young riders here. IMO strongest young rider in cycling (excluding Andy, who is a year older too)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

My opinion of Evans just went up a lot. I don't recall him ever riding like that in the mountains prior to this year. He really looked great.

+1... SL looked almost comical trying to control the peleton today. Much better for Evans having the gold passed over to Valverde. I also agree than Evans is riding better in the mountains this year (with the exception of the TdF). He looked great in the Dauphine and looks good here too.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
dblueroom said:

Wasn't it Gesink who put 16" (with bonuses) into the leaders with an attack yesterday?

He's close enough that he doesn't need to risk it all by going early, and can safely chip away at the lead and hope someone has a bad day. Lots of big climbs yet to come.

And, as stated, he is 23. If he continues his current development, "lots to improve" will be an understatement.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
+1... SL looked almost comical trying to control the peleton today. Much better for Evans having the gold passed over to Valverde. I also agree than Evans is riding better in the mountains this year (with the exception of the TdF). He looked great in the Dauphine and looks good here too.

The final ITT is only 26km, so he'll need to keep it close to rely on that for the gold jersey. Especially in the third week of a GT, things can be unpredictable. Remember the TdF 2008, when he could only put 30" into Sastre over 50+ km?

I think this gives Evans the opportunity to do what he does best and follow wheels. That's not a criticism, just sound tactics and playing to a riders strengths. Based on past performances, Valverde is far more likely to have a "jour sans", and Evans can go on to the GT victory he richly deserves.

All this is assuming he can keep his head screwed on straight and not let incidents like the finish today ruin his focus.

A

Anonymous

great.. so mr personality is out of gold, the walking blood bank is in it instead.. im having a bad week..

hoping basso and sammy can do something.. :/

although vaughters said they would spring a surprise as in the tour.. TD is up to 4th.. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Just saw the replay. Epic!! What a stage and a finish.

Taaramae suffered like a dog, only to lose it all in the last 500m-1k when Cesar overtook him. Smart move, because he was gone and claimed victory. Taaramae had an SRM display, but did he not notice he was riding in the 'self-destruct' zone? Cesar really paced that climb perfectly...

Evans matched every acceleration from Valverde. Basso looked cool and confident, as if he is waiting to put on the squeeze later in the Vuelta.

Gesink appeared to do a 15k/h Fuglsang with some others when they wiggled their way through the line of cars alongside the road. That seemed to explain why he first lost Evans, Basso, Valverde and Danielson. He then managed to get back, but the following Valverde accelerations hurt him (a little). Good to see he came back on the descent, not to repeat a PN.

In the ensuing sprint - as far as I could tell - Evans got boxed in, mainly because some fences were placed further inside the road. I didn't see any pushing or deviating from a straight line from Gesink's part at that time.

In the feed I saw Evans had some words with Breukink?

Much ado about nothing...

PS> Hoogerland arrives @ 2:17 and Carrara @ 1:39

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Just saw the replay. Epic!! What a stage and a finish.

Taaramae suffered like a dog, only to lose it all in the last 500m-1k when Cesar overtook him. Smart move, because he was gone and claimed victory. Taaramae had an SRM display, but did he not notice he was riding in the 'self-destruct' zone? Cesar really paced that climb perfectly...

Evans matched every acceleration from Valverde. Basso looked cool and confident, as if he is waiting to put on the squeeze later in the Vuelta.

Gesink appeared to do a 15k/h Fuglsang with some others when they wiggled their way through the line of cars alongside the road. That seemed to explain why he first lost Evans, Basso, Valverde and Danielson. He then managed to get back, but the following Valverde accelerations hurt him (a little). Good to see he came back on the descent, not to repeat a PN.

In the ensuing sprint - as far as I could tell - Evans got boxed in, mainly because some fences were placed further inside the road. I didn't see any pushing or deviating from a straight line from Gesink's part at that time.

In the feed I saw Evans had some words with Breukink?

Much ado about nothing...

PS> Hoogerland arrives @ 2:17 and Carrara @ 1:39

+1.... I think (and hope) that Evans will realize this when he looks at the replay and talks it over with his team. Really, he should have been following Valverde's wheel and not been anywhere near Gesink's wheel for the sprint. He had to have known that Valverde was going to have a crack at the time bonus!

TRENDING THREADS