• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 9: September 7 - Alcoy - Xorret de Catí, 186km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Good food will do that to you ;)

It's hard for you dutch to get that while eating nothing but cheese on toast :p

You can wake me up for a good tosti :)
Spanish food is good, the crap riders get at most hotels isn't.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I rarely eat toast and Im dutch.

Than again, I rarely eat normal dutch food too :D
How did this end up in a food discussion anyway?

But you're basically german.
We can discuss wooden shoes if you wish?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Back to the race..is it friday yet?

Use my catchphrase again and I'll kill you. You know I know where you live and what you look like.

ak-zaaf said:
You can wake me up for a good tosti :)
Spanish food is good, the crap riders get at most hotels isn't.

This kinda thing always reminds of the polemics at the 1962 Tour.

"The fish was bad" :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
This kinda thing always reminds of the polemics at the 1962 Tour.

"The fish was bad" :D

Hehe, wonder if Anquetil ever had a 'bad' pheasant.

Also similar to the PDM intralipid affair in 1990: "The chicken we ate was bad".
They actually got sued by the hotel (chef).

Thinking of the 2007 tour, chicken and Dutch teams are not friends.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
from evans' twitter:

CadelOfficialNice to some see it like it is: RT @erwindewit: @CadelOfficial i am in shame to be a Dutch today :-( What was Geesink thinking7 minutes ago from TwitterFon

A reply to a Dutch guy can't even spell Gesink right.

Is this why Cadel never won (will win) a GT?

What a whiny little man. Get over it and move on with the race.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
from evans' twitter:

CadelOfficialNice to some see it like it is: RT @erwindewit: @CadelOfficial i am in shame to be a Dutch today :-( What was Geesink thinking7 minutes ago from TwitterFon

+whatever the largest number is currently available..

if it was anyone else people would say he was hard done by..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
from evans' twitter:

Kleinzerige zeikerd, lelijke blaaskaak. Ga je hond pesten.

Gesink:
7-9-2009 23:27 ...Bedankt voor alle toffe reacties,meer dan 100 via Twitter ga ik niet allemaal kunnen beantwoorden! Wat betreft Evans...niet mijn fout...

Can we go back to food? It was getting enjoyable. Throw some good basque pinxtos in the mix, or just simple pan catalan with jamon iberico - the ones that have been fed acorns only - or serrano and I am sold...

hmm getting hungry

Is it friday already?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Just saw the replay. Epic!! What a stage and a finish.

Taaramae suffered like a dog, only to lose it all in the last 500m-1k when Cesar overtook him. Smart move, because he was gone and claimed victory. Taaramae had an SRM display, but did he not notice he was riding in the 'self-destruct' zone? Cesar really paced that climb perfectly...

Evans matched every acceleration from Valverde. Basso looked cool and confident, as if he is waiting to put on the squeeze later in the Vuelta.

Gesink appeared to do a 15k/h Fuglsang with some others when they wiggled their way through the line of cars alongside the road. That seemed to explain why he first lost Evans, Basso, Valverde and Danielson. He then managed to get back, but the following Valverde accelerations hurt him (a little). Good to see he came back on the descent, not to repeat a PN.

In the ensuing sprint - as far as I could tell - Evans got boxed in, mainly because some fences were placed further inside the road. I didn't see any pushing or deviating from a straight line from Gesink's part at that time.

In the feed I saw Evans had some words with Breukink?

Much ado about nothing...

PS> Hoogerland arrives @ 2:17 and Carrara @ 1:39

evans was shaking his head during the sprint. Evans found a gap but the course bended around so evans got squeezed against the barrier. i thikn it was just a bit of bad luck for cadel. Really having valverde in the lead now will be good for cadel as valverde if he wants to win will have to lead it for 12 days with his tteam having to take responsibility of the race lead to chase breakaway's down. Did anyone notice De la fuente slowing to let valverde get the time bonus...Bloody Spanish:D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Apology from Cadel

In the final, a 'racing incident' with another rider in the last 200m stopped me trying to defend the leaders jersey. Very frustrating on my part. I did let my competitor know about it, probably with a bit too much of my racing spirit and frustration. No hard feelings towards my colleague there, apologies will be in order.
from Cadel's website. If you had lost 2 GT by less than a minute you too would be frustrated at letting any time slip away. It shows he is taking this race very seriously and any of you would have said the same thing if it had happened to you. Get off his back, as far as the attacking when he was in the cars... he started increasing the pace way before that, just after Rodríguez took off he looked behind and saw a few of the GC riders suffering so he increased the pace. At the cars, riders were 4 wide trying to fit thru a gap 2 wide, that's what created the gap not any sudden acceleration.:D

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Evans was trying to squeeze into a gap that faded as the barriers waved inwards a bit. Was always going to happen on the inside line. I'm Australian and can understand his frustration but really it was not Gesink's fault.

battery89 said:
Evans was trying to squeeze into a gap that faded as the barriers waved inwards a bit. Was always going to happen on the inside line. I'm Australian and can understand his frustration but really it was not Gesink's fault.

+1.

Despite people bagging on Evans for whining, it is a good thing that Evans is getting pissed. It shows some fire in the belly and that he is serious.

battery89 said:

+1 just watched it again and it doesnt seem as bad second time round.....gesink has a bright future

+2

This would have been different if Gesink had looked to see where Cadel was, and then blocked him (what Cav got nixed for in the Tour with Thor). But he was just racing for the line. The man doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.

Wow, it's BroDeal, back from the dead! ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
battery89 said:

+1
Gesink was a little all over the place but in the end it wasn't really his fault. Probably because he's young he wasn't use to a situation like that. Luckily nobody got hurt against the barrier. The organisers should be unhappy with themselves as the barriers again came in. Can understand evans' frustration and i think he realises that holding grudges is going to get him nowhere and said that he will apologise to gesink for being a little over the top in the heat of battle. For Cadel this is perfect. Valverde in the lead with his team having to take responsibility takes pressure off cadel and his team and valverde's men will become more tired. What i don't get if they are going to punish cav at the tour for blocking thor why wouldn't they punish Gesink? Same incident to me.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
evans was angry because he claims gesink pushed him in the barriers, dnt think he meant it. Classic evans, has a B!tcH

Cut out your biased...you may call me biased but i recognise that their is a fair arguement for both sides.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
+ 1

Basso looked like he was at ease today, never got out of the saddle.
Evans was pretty aggresive today, kudos to him.

Yes, remember back to the dauphine were valverde sat on evans' wheel while he was attacking. Now evans was doing the reverse except evans didn't have a team mate like contador to help chase. Evans was the first to respond and caught valverde with ease! Had another look and it was mostly the barriers fault as it came in a metre. The gap was always there but the barrier made things difficult. Organisers need to get the barriers right because the barriers could cause bad accidents in the sprint though gesink was a bit all over the place which was clearly evident in the start of the sprint and once they entered the final straight. What happened to Sanchez today. A short sharp classic like climb would suit him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Cut out your biased...you may call me biased but i recognise that their is a fair arguement for both sides.

lol your denying evans has a b!tch at every chance possible? This has nothing do with anyone except evans, and his inability to accept a loss. Evans needs to man up. :)

I acknowedge Gesink was a little over the place, but there as no intention their. Evans had no chance against valverde, but as we've seen many times prior to the vuelta, Evans likes to find excuses for his failure.

Anyway as I said earlier, losing the lead will benefit him.
battery89 said:

Yup. It's really irrelevant, Valv. was never gonna lose that sprint.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol your denying evans has a b!tch at every chance possible? This has nothing do with anyone except evans, and his inability to accept a loss. Evans needs to man up. :)

I acknowedge Gesink was a little over the place, but there as no intention their. Evans had no chance against valverde, but as we've seen many times prior to the vuelta, Evans likes to find excuses for his failure.

Anyway as I said earlier, losing the lead will benefit him.

Yup. It's really irrelevant, Valv. was never gonna lose that sprint.

It was most likely going to be a win for valv in the sprint but it was most likely going to be a win for cav in the sprint against thor at the tour but cav got disqualified. valv was going to win the sprint but gesink + the barriers didn't allow him to fight it out, that's what cadel was saying not whining!. If you want to be so anti evans all the time do so, but don't make outrageous statements like evans has a ***** at every possible moment without proper evidence!

TRENDING THREADS