• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 9: September 8 Alicante - Murcia

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Good finish. Too bad for Ryder, but Gerrans earned it.

What was Vino doing trying to take it from the front from way out there? Must have been a last chance effort on dying legs.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Why's Linus Gerdemann so unpopular anyhow? Just because he was so overrated after the Tour stage win, or was it stuff he said at that time?

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
In hindsight, what does this make of the TdF decision?
That he has made the best of the situation? Doesn't mean he shouldn't be unhappy about it, even now.

I remember Riis not taking Cancellara to the TdF a few years ago, but even that seemed less crazy at the time than Cervelo not bringing Gerrans this year.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Why's Linus Gerdemann so unpopular anyhow? Just because he was so overrated after the Tour stage win, or was it stuff he said at that time?

He's one of the most arrogant people in the sport. He'd stab his own mother if it got him a race win.

The fact he worked with Cecchini for years doesn't help either.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
For me it is the attitude he displayed prior to that (when at CSC, which he dumped mid-contract for T-Mobile), combined with the fact that he is an ex-'student' of Luigi Cecchini.

To be perfectly honest, I don't specifically remember how I formed the impression of him as an arrogant git.

Looked like Samu took out the tv camera bike, attacking on the decent.
One smallish climb, just so long as it's located in the right spot, is enough to kick off plenty of action.

If I were designing a GT, I would have less flat stages, less mega mountain stages, but more with a couple of back-to-back "ramps", within the last 20 odd kms and wait for the bunch to blow apart.

Good for tv coverage, too!

Gerrans just added a few more grand to his new contract.
Vino is running on too low an octane.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
lburgess said:
71 riders left out of 196.. this is a joke.... all the big guns have gone home.... boring scenery and cheap layouts for the race... LOL

Yeah, sucks. 4 mountain top finishes to go, 4 pre-race favourites still within about a minute, Gesink in 3rd, Cunego seemingly returning to GT form...

Is the problem that Andy Schleck retired, or chris horner, or something?

May 17, 2009
Visit site
The local paper of Team Joker-Bianchi rider Frederik Wilmann is reporting that he spent yesterday in Amsterdam, supposedly in a meeting with Skil-Shimano management.

Chances are we'll have seven Norwegian pros next year. I like it.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Hard Luck Garmin.

I think Tyler Farrar's second place problem is starting to rub off on the other Garmin riders. Hesjedal was so close today. Three 2nd places in 10 stages. Bummer for them. Just did a post about Tila Tequila dating pro cyclists. Check it out for something funny. http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
lburgess said:
71 riders left out of 196.. this is a joke.... all the big guns have gone home.... boring scenery and cheap layouts for the race... LOL

71 can't be right. Those must be just preliminary results because there's only one Columbia on the list.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
71 can't be right. Those must be just preliminary results because there's only one Columbia on the list.

The results are always preliminarily released at the Vuelta. The full list of riders will only be there in a few hours :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Yeah, that was odd - more than 100 would have had to have left overnight

An exodus! What a travesty.

I am glad we still have:

the boring landscape (Holland, Belgium, Murcia, Sierra Nevada)
different, somewhat unpredictable, stage winners every day
escapes every day
a tight GC with some of the best GC contenders out there
much climbing to come...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
What a season gerrans has had. top 10 in all the ardenne classics, stage win at giro, stage win at la vuelta and won the gp plouray. WOW!

And the Boss congratulated him today as well!!! What more could he wish for ;)

A

Anonymous

lburgess said:

180 riders left.. (ish)

now stop being silly :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
soOpOSMthanks! said:
fact: i've enjoyed watching la vuelta WAY more than i did watching le tour
+1 - it's refreshing to see such an open race with the stages being unpredictable till the end.

blaxland said:
my tip,if the aussies decide to ride for simon gerrans at the worlds he will win...you heard it here first...

I think the mendrisio course might be a bit too hilly for gerro and suit cadel more than him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have been riding rumours on cycling sites that Sammy Sanchez has been a little too aggresive with his riding e.g. on the descent today of the climb he pushed his way through to try and attack the group and has been a little to aggresive to get to the front. I also heard that he made a moto bike crash. Is that so or am I talking crap?