• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 4 (Garray - Ejea de los Caballeros, 191.7 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bennett was flying to catch Philipsen's slipstream, and once he got into a bit of that air, he was never getting caught. Philipsen timed his move perfectly, and Bennett timed his reaction perfecter.

Yeah, exactly. Ackermann did momentarily swing out of Bennett’s slipstream to try to come around him but all that happened then was the he was in the wind and Bennett was moving more and more fully into Philipsen’s slipstream, so he went backwards and quickly got back into Bennett’s slipstream.

I often argue that Ackermann‘s weakness is his decision making if he isn’t on the end of a good leadout, but he did at least get the right wheel here. Then again, you could argue that with the corner so close to the finish that he needed to be further forward rather than waiting for Bennett to go. It’s hard to be sure because Philipsen changed the script.

And that equals* the record number of GT stages taken in one year by Irish riders, four. With both Bennett and Dan Martin looking good so far there has to be a good chance of that record being broken outright over the next 14 stages.

(* thanks to @ruamruam for answering this one for me, I thought three was the most previously)
The previous year was surely 87? Kelly with 2 at the Vuelta, Roche 1 each at the Tour and Giro?

Just checked and yes. Of the 4 that year, 3 were in ITTs!

So the question is, when was the last time we had GT stage wins 2 days in a row, from 2 different riders?

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. Ackermann did momentarily swing out of Bennett’s slipstream to try to come around him but all that happened then was the he was in the wind and Bennett was moving more and more fully into Philipsen’s slipstream, so he went backwards and quickly got back into Bennett’s slipstream.

I often argue that Ackermann‘s weakness is his decision making if he isn’t on the end of a good leadout, but he did at least get the right wheel here. Then again, you could argue that with the corner so close to the finish that he needed to be further forward rather than waiting for Bennett to go. It’s hard to be sure because Philipsen changed the script.
I think this is the difference. In a sprint, it's generally not a bad idea for someone with Ackermann's speed to sit in Sam Bennett's wheel and go when he goes, but the slightly different dynamic here meant that Bennett leapt out of the corner, and THEN caught Philipsen's slipstream, at a point when he would normally be slowing down. So Ackermann tried to accelerate past Bennett when Bennett was accelerating himself.

Reactions: Zinoviev Letter
Disgraceful presentation of the end of this by EuroSport: showed last km, telling us at 1 km to go that Bennett won. Way to totally undermine the viewing experience of a sprint finish.
And that is why I can’t stand and watch ES... I’ll take even a delayed Tiz*** stream before I tune to the ES!!! Or stream online from anyTV station in Europe even though I don’t understand a single word:p

Seb

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Disgraceful presentation of the end of this by EuroSport: showed last km, telling us at 1 km to go that Bennett won. Way to totally undermine the viewing experience of a sprint finish.
O, that's annoying!
Well, I can understand some reporters won't authentically pretend not to know the outcome while commenting, but then they could tell the viewers something like 'I know the outcome already but I won't tell ahead' and continue describing what they see in a gripping way.
Well, it is a wovel.
Could be a mathematical constant, too.

O, that's annoying!
Well, I can understand some reporters won't authentically pretend not to know the outcome while commenting, but then they could tell the viewers something like 'I know the outcome already but I won't tell ahead' and continue describing what they see in a gripping way.

Could be a mathematical constant, too.

True, that could explain why RhD didn't understand it.

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS