• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 11 (Antequera - Valdepeñas de Jaén, 133.6 km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

for those w/o histogram

He might not need that much. Mas can do a decent TT. And Roglic has been disappointing every time he's done done a TT late into a GT and there's getting to be a decent sample size. Maybe this is where he turns that around.

Well, TdDBF in TdF 2020 is not part of that sample (he finished 5th, for pete's sake, 1 min or so ahead of Mas), nor is last year's Vuelta TT (admittedly, I'm not sure that counts as a late TT). I guess the 15k TT in Giro 2019, where he finished 30 seconds off the pace, counts as one? Not sure how relevant those are .. :smirkcat:

Well, TdDBF in TdF 2020 is not part of that sample (he finished 5th, for pete's sake, 1 min or so ahead of Mas), nor is last year's Vuelta TT (admittedly, I'm not sure that counts as a late TT). I guess the 15k TT in Giro 2019, where he finished 30 seconds off the pace, counts as one? Not sure how relevant those are .. :smirkcat:

But revisiting TdDBF does reveal that Mas was closer than 1 minute. So, extrapolating just from that, Roglic probably does not want to give up 2 minutes to him. Sure, Roggie's TT probably improved, etc, but so did Mas's (I assume).

Mas looks super strong ATM. I am not all that sure Lopez is 100% on board just yet. Supporting Mas. I agree that Roglič will likely try to gain a couple more seconds on Mas ASAP.

As for the rest. On how suposedly Roglič fades at the end of GTs, riding a bad TT on TDF 2020 ... I agree that that could be debatable up to a point but if i would be Mas i wouldn't count on that all that much.

Mas looks super strong ATM. I am not all that sure Lopez is 100% on board just yet. Supporting Mas. I agree that Roglič will likely try to gain a couple more seconds on Mas ASAP.

As for the rest. On how suposedly Roglič fades at the end of GTs, riding a bad TT on TDF 2020 ... I agree that that could be debatable up to a point but if i would be Mas i wouldn't count on that all that much.
Attacking from far out is very hard, unless Movistar suddenly get big time help from other teams. It's likely all gonna come down to whether Mas can take huge time on Covadonga, Gamoniteiru and ride the ITT of his life.

Picos Villuercas is unfunnily suited to Roglic. It has one steep pinch not hard enough to drop Roglic and the steepest part is the final 300m.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
There's only 2 climbing days where a bad day can decide much.

Covadonga is not a climb of huge differences.

Why not? On a bad day Covadonga can be cruel to a rider. 10 km at almost 9% (including a few double digit kilometers) plus two other difficult climbs in the last 100 km of the stage. That being said it will probably be ridden conservatively (due to Gamoniteiru the next day) but if a contender shows a weakness it will be full gas.

It's absolutely part of the sample. He lost 35 seconds to Porte who is admittedly a good tter but we're talking about Roglic here. You're going to tell me he didn't underperform or disappoint? And you're right, I'm not counting the Vuelta. That one was too early.

TRENDING THREADS