• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 17 (Unquera - Lagos de Covadonga, 185.8 km)

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Decent stage. But I don't understand Wanty's tactics at all. Surely Meintjes should have been looking after Eiking. Could possibly have saved his top 10 with a bit better support and he might not have fallen if he hadn't been pressing on downhill alone.

He's done nothing to support Eiking's jersey all week. Not impressed.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
Was it just weakness by Bernal or a hunger knock light as he didn't feed himself enough on top of Llomema?

I don't think it was a hunger knock. He just killed himself when doing hard powerful turns on flat and simply couldn't maintain high level for longer. Being substantially weaker TT-ist (and less powerful) than Roglic he was operating at a much higher percentage of his capabilities on that fast section.

Last edited:
Decent stage. But I don't understand Wanty's tactics at all. Surely Meintjes should have been looking after Eiking. Could possibly have saved his top 10 with a bit better support and he might not have fallen if he hadn't been pressing on downhill alone.

He's done nothing to support Eiking's jersey all week. Not impressed.

I think leaving Meintjes as a another option of a high GC place was fine.

They probably should have dropped Hirt back though even if he is not much of a roleur.

@Gigs_98 not the only one with idiotic takes yesterday
Hey, I wrote that I expected Bernal to attack. Now the attack I described might have had some tiny little differences to the one that actually happened, but that's about as good of a prediction you can expect from me.

I also predicted somewhere that Roglic wouldn't follow every Movistar attack which was technically correct.

Oh well, at this point my post history is basically one half making bad predictions and the other half making fun of the first half once it turned out just how bad the predictions were.

E-OQXzIWYAM2PUP

So... fun stage... but then I just looked at the results and was a bit disappointed to realize that apart from Martin and Eiking expectedly dropping and Vlasov dropping due to his crash nothing at all happened in the standings... :oops:
So, I guess we will see the effects tomorrow instead.

The stage reminded me of the one where Pogacar's solo attack settled the GC early in the Tour de France. Good if you are a Slovenian cycling fan - not good for the suspense of the races.

TRENDING THREADS