• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8k

After tonight's shambles, let this Vuelta be reborn into the light.

1d3d9

d47fe

It's a short bus ride in the morning from the race base in Barcelona down the coast to the city/suburb of Mataró, terminus of the first railway line ever to be constructed in Iberia. After the official start, the road kicks up immediately for the first KOM of this Vuelta, Coll de Sant Bartomeu.
santbartomeu01.PNG

After a trek through the heavily urbanised Vallès, it's time for the next climb, Coll d'Estenalles. They approach from Sabadell, so it's only the final 12.0 kilometres of the profile below (although the road starts to rise gently before that).
estenalles01.PNG

The descent takes us to the northernmost point of the stage, just east of Manresa; the way back from here to Barcelona is easier, with only two uncategorised climbs: Colldarboç (profile uploaded externally because it refuses to load otherwise)...
ba19.png

...and Torreblanca, the first 6.3k of the profile below (which I also had to reupload... seriously, the forum software is so bad where images are concerned).
1203-collcardus-labauma.gif

Then, the riders return to Barcelona, for a finale that should be familiar from the 2012 race, the last time the Vuelta visited the city. The final 5.5k are identical to that stage, but the run-in is different and more technical (and hence more dangerous, given that it should be very wet). The finale consists of two key points: first the Alto del Castell de Montjuïc, from the same side as in the Volta a Catalunya...
Uy2DGZg.png

...before an untechnical descent, and the final drag up to the finish, which is located next to the Olympic stadium.
lInn03e.png

Last edited:
I have had to reupload every single climb profile externally because I kept getting errors when trying to post otherwise - seriously, I cannot believe that all of Ramacabici, Rocobike, AC Montjuïc and 1001 Puertos have the same thing ***ed with their site, there is very clearly something wrong with the forum software. The software also forces me to wait 3 minutes between attempts to post a thread, hence why this one is late.

Edit: and when editing the post, I can put in images from all four sites without a hitch. Definitely a bug in the forum then.

I have had to reupload every single climb profile externally because I kept getting errors when trying to post otherwise - seriously, I cannot believe that all of Ramacabici, Rocobike, AC Montjuïc and 1001 Puertos have the same thing ***ed with their site, there is very clearly something wrong with the forum software. The software also forces me to wait 3 minutes between attempts to post a thread, hence why this one is late.

Edit: and when editing the post, I can put in images from all four sites without a hitch. Definitely a bug in the forum then.
I had the same issue for the Giro threads.

Will JV gamble for Roglic for a stage win? (or to attack on Montjuïc, bit like in the Giro).

I can imagine DSM preferring to have a breakaway going for the stage victory instead of the peleton. (since they might lose the jersey through boni seconds).
Since the hundredths from TTTs don‘t count, Movistar could still have the jersey after tomorrow without bonis. I also can‘t imagine DSM letting a breakaway ( without their riders) go, since that would also lose them the jersey.

Last edited:
Since the hundredths from TTs don‘t count, Movistar could still have the jersey after tomorrow without bonis. I also can‘t imagine DSM letting a breakaway ( without their riders) go, since that would also lose them the jersey.
hmm i thought the TT time would be taken into account in such a situation.
That would make it indeed a bit more complex for DSM. Not sure if Movistar wants the lead, but they let Mas go first over the line so i guess he wants it.

I do see a lot of riders over 1minute behind, i think they can gamble a bit to see if other teams want to go for the stage win or not.

Thanks to Mr Elbow for spending his evening doing this thread.

Seems we're back at the Giro - rain,crashes, Covid. Bonus seconds (6, 4 & 2) atop the last climb the Montjuic so a possible 16 bonus seconds up for grabs, which means Roglic to go for it, although if it's still raining, discreation being the better part of valor etc someone might go for a longer flyer like a Kämna or Dunbar.

Whatever happens, hope for no more DNF's.

Will JV gamble for Roglic for a stage win? (or to attack on Montjuïc, bit like in the Giro).

I can imagine DSM preferring to have a breakaway going for the stage victory instead of the peleton. (since they might lose the jersey through boni seconds).

I disagree - Initially, I thought this stage would go to the break, assuming one of the leading teams has the red jersey - Now that DSM have the jersey, they'll defend it with their life.

Reactions: Sandisfan