• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 3: Súria - Arinsal, 158.5k

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There’s also a great presser just pre-Vuelta from his hotel I think.

Funny, charming, honest, relaxed, humble, respectful throughout. Impossible NOT to like.
People used to say that about Peter Sagan too. It ground my gears and made it harder for me to put my dislike of him aside, and made it harder for me to ignore the things I didn't like.

And the love of Sagan was far more universal than the love of Remco at a comparable point in their career. Please note I'm not comparing their personalities, I think Remco comes across a lot better than Sagan (although, of course, I would say that), but just meaning that the reaction of the supporters plays into people's perception of the athlete a lot too, you know, and the fact that Remco has that tranche of supporters who will attack any comment that isn't sycophantic in nature as being the work of perceived jealous haters will help create real ones.

I did look at the Twitter clip, several times, and see that the clip ends before you can see—or doesn’t pan back enough—to see what’s further beyond the group of people before the plateau ends. That’s why I suggested looking at the Marca photo. At the end of the video clip it Looks like there are 5-10 meters of open space behind the group before the equipment and building, so that would give riders a little more time to respond. But they would still have to break and turn off to the right.
There isn't much space for sure. It begs the question why they didn't draw the finish a bit earlier: in this way they could have used the whole parking lot for logistics. Now they finished right at the parking lot and thus reducing the potential braking zone with quite a margin. But again, while the organizer could improve this, it was avoidable by the little man.

There isn't much space for sure. It begs the question why they didn't draw the finish a bit earlier: in this way they could have used the whole parking lot for logistics. Now they finished right at the parking lot and thus reducing the potential braking zone with quite a margin. But again, while the organizer could improve this, it was avoidable by the little man.
Good point about having the finish line sooner—seems like that would be a pretty simple solution.

Reactions: Volderke
People used to say that about Peter Sagan too. It ground my gears and made it harder for me to put my dislike of him aside, and made it harder for me to ignore the things I didn't like.

And the love of Sagan was far more universal than the love of Remco at a comparable point in their career. Please note I'm not comparing their personalities, I think Remco comes across a lot better than Sagan (although, of course, I would say that), but just meaning that the reaction of the supporters plays into people's perception of the athlete a lot too, you know, and the fact that Remco has that tranche of supporters who will attack any comment that isn't sycophantic in nature as being the work of perceived jealous haters will help create real ones.
Remco is very honest, thoughtful and intelligent. Something that you couldn't accuse Sagan off IMO. Put a mic in front of Remco and you get an honest and most often quite fair assessment. Things like his YT-channel is very nice as well. If Peter made such a thing it would struggle to be half as interesting due to Remco being much more well spoken and in general just more interesting human being. Sagan is as boring as it gets, and honestly, Roglic is very similar in the sense that they say stuff but really, they don't say anything.

I struggle to see why people dislike Remco. Really. An attacking rider who always goes for it and tells it as he sees it, and generally seems like a nice human being. Sometimes he gets upset, but that's only normal. And yeah, I get that you don't dislike the guy, but as you say lots of poster do.

I can get behind his extreme fanbase though, but he's not the only rider struggling with that on this forum. Contador is the best example of such a rider, and Roglic is at times pretty close honestly.

Yeah. It's mainly his fans acting like Arianators praising everything Remco does no matter if he does good or acts like a brat. Plus Lefevere making him look clownish every now and then. Remco himself is quite frank and humble actually. With all the positives and negatives that come along with it. But if he's got an opinion he's going to tell frankly and gets called to account for it. Weird that this has become out of fashion and seems so outdated actually.

Remco is very honest, thoughtful and intelligent. Something that you couldn't accuse Sagan off IMO. Put a mic in front of Remco and you get an honest and most often quite fair assessment. Things like his YT-channel is very nice as well. If Peter made such a thing it would struggle to be half as interesting due to Remco being much more well spoken and in general just more interesting human being. Sagan is as boring as it gets, and honestly, Roglic is very similar in the sense that they say stuff but really, they don't say anything.

I struggle to see why people dislike Remco. Really. An attacking rider who always goes for it and tells it as he sees it, and generally seems like a nice human being. Sometimes he gets upset, but that's only normal. And yeah, I get that you don't dislike the guy, but as you say lots of poster do.

I can get behind his extreme fanbase though, but he's not the only rider struggling with that on this forum. Contador is the best example of such a rider, and Roglic is at times pretty close honestly.
Good post - the bold resonates with my opinion, although IMO Roglic's fan base is nowhere near as defensive as Remco's. I think many are put off Remco by the fanboys - they are more defensive than Remco himself.

But I don't think Roglic's fan base is close and whilst Contador's fans could be annoying at least he had the results - Remco still has more to do - even with the rainbow stripes which AC never achieved.

My opinions of Remco go up and down based upon his fans reactions as much as his riding or what he says after races.

meanwhile... spanish cycling fans... actualization

finish line now, photo courtesy of a spanish cycling fan
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4n3MA8XUAAMK6o?format=jpg&name=medium

finish line now, photo courtesy of a Jumbo assistant
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4myts_WUAA-7IY?format=webp&name=small

Victory and 3 "puntos" for Evenepoel.
In spanish "puntos" means both points and stitches
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4oRsMyWUAA6QiC?format=jpg&name=large

"My god, this year is a shitshow!"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4oSfpCXAAEVjOZ?format=jpg&name=large

LaVuelta23 is cursed!!
View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1696169507650261457

Reactions: Riek s
Couldn’t watch the final. First image I see on Sporza is Remco with a bleeding face and thought it was already over. A little crash, hopefully both are okay. Don’t want to read everything about the incident here, I’m focusing on the sportive side.

A good strong sprint and victory for Remco. He looked really good in the last km. Gonna watch the full climb now to have a better view but it seems like a lot off teams had multiple strong riders, as expected. Good to see that Hirt is better again.

Only downside, they didn’t want the leader jersey in the first 9 days. I’m guessing they will try to give it away as soon as possible.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

I think that comparison is way off. Sagan came off as a total douche in interviews, he didn't have any time for that or couldn't express himself in English.

Remco is the complete opposite. He is probably the most interesting rider to listen to of them all.

Reactions: Captain Sensible
I think that comparison is way off. Sagan came off as a total douche in interviews, he didn't have any time for that or couldn't express himself in English.

Remco is the complete opposite. He is probably the most interesting rider to listen to of them all.
I literally said I wasn't comparing their personalities but using my own reaction to Sagan being exacerbated by his fans as an example of an opinion of a rider being heightened by interacting with their fans. I don't intend in any way to suggest they have similar personalities.

Reactions: noob

I don't think Sagan came off as a douche - more like a goof. He was incredibly funny and entertaining, both on and off the bike. Those two guys are both great cycling talents but different breeds of cat.

JURY COMMUNIQUE Nº4.

Art. 2.12.7; 4.7Sheltering behind a team car.201. DÍEZ GALLEGO, José Manuel UCI ID 10043045045 BURGOS-BH200 CHF fine, 20" penalty in the general classification, 8 points penalty in the points classification and 4 points penalty in the mountain classification.

D.S. BURGOS - BH; CANTERA, David UCI ID 10089466922.Fine 500 CHF

Art. 2.12.7; 8.3 Disposing waste outside the litter zones, unidentified rider. D.S. INEOS GRENADIERS; CUMMINGS, Stephen UCI ID 10002302722 Fine 500 CHF

STAGE 4ª: ANDORRA LA VELLA. ANDORRA - TARRAGONA Feeding will be allowed from km 30 to 20 km from the finish line.

https://www.tissottiming.com/File/000316020F010103FFFFFFFFFFFFFF00