• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2024, stage 6: Some random Carrefour - Yunquera, 185.5k

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
can’t believe they
Maybe I'm wrong. I also totally see where people are coming from.

But this is 2024. It's not the same peloton & it's not the same Rog.

He was on track to finish 10 minutes behind Pog (worst case scenario) in the TdF & finish 4th... which would have been (hilariously) enough to finish nearly 10 minutes ahead of the next rider behind him.

From what I've seen of RBH they look pretty confident in their guy.
That assumes Roglic has the same legs as at the Tour. That’s no guarantee plus his back injury could easily hamper him. Lending O’Connor the jersey is one thing but giving him a 5 minute lead could backfire very easily.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt and noob
Missed the stage by half an hour, I swear if I knew something like this would happenned (didn't check the forum), I would have left early and not care what they said.

What happenned exactly? I mean you can say O'Connor is a top ten material on his days no matter how bad he was in some races, not just some random Caja Rural breakaway.

Reactions: jmdirt
We'll see.

I still think Rog has his Tour legs & I still think the only threat he faces here is the tarmac.

All things being equal (like if Rog displays the same power he had in his battle versus Vinge, Pog & Evenepoel on stage 11 of the TdF last month), minutes will be handed out later all over this race.
That's optimistic. Can't help thinking that if that were the case, he should a) have taken more time more convincingly on Tuesday and b) also whipped his teammates to actually chase today so as to not ruin the race for him.

A deficit of 5min to an on form O'Connor is a lot. Probably it's good for the race though.

Reactions: jmdirt
Chapeau Ben O'Connor - stage & leader's jersey. Super strong ride and let's hope he does not blow up soon as it makes the race more interesting.

What was going on behind him though in the peloton? Campenaerts riding up to the front and staring at the other guys said a lot. (like, what's happening here?!) Roglic said about giving the jersey away but to Ben O'Connor and nearly 5 minutes could not have been the plan. Should Lipowitz have come back? I think so, to help ride as Bora could have done with another man pulling.
UAE though? No Bjerg or Laengen to pull and Yates lost even more time so it's all on Almeida now.

Quintana sitting there was just iconic, for this stage IMO. Just sit there, chilling, don't help. What are they all doing?
Quintanaing. The most confusing was Bora not even using Martinez even though he was way down on the first MTF. At least for Vlasov and Lipowitz they can pretend they‘re retaining options, but it seemed like Bora didn’t even really commit.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Yup, what is it with stage 6 in the Vuelta recently and complete foolishness and underestimation of a genuinely pretty strong rider nowadays?

I know it's only 3-4 minutes he has in hand, not like it's Arroyo 2010 or Pereiro 2006, but it was enough for Giovannetti and Kuss.
With Kuss it was actually at least 1-2 teams trying to chase and Kuss was helped a bunch by teammates in the break. This was a super long solo on up and down terrain with nobody behind giving a ***.