• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a Espana: King of the Sprints

Who will win the most stages in La vuelta 2010?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
After reading the CN article about sprinters in this years Vuelta I thought we should have a thread on who will dominate the sprints.

Here is the link

Cav doesn't have his usual leadout train but still is very fast and should be favourite

Farrar should be the main challenger with the others (Hushovd, Pettachi, davis, bennati, van avermaet, friere, forster) all lining up behind farrar as challengers.

Profile based only, I see 8 definite sprint stages and another possible two.

Who will win the most stages? Who will win the points jersey?

Between Farrar and Cav, obv., and I guess a lot of it will depend if one of them leaves for Australia first (altghough I doubt that will happen with some of the most obvious sprinter's stages lumped in the last week).

I picked Farrar, since he's in form, the man deserves a break, and I think, based on his performance in Plouay, that he might just have the ability to survive and sprint in one or two stages where Cav might be shelled out the back.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish will probably win most stages, although Farrar will give him a good run for his money.

As to the jersey, I don't think it will go to a sprinter at all. More likely a GC guy with a quick finish. I'll plump for Joaquin Rodriguez.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Intermediate por favor

Cav has to be the favorite for most wins, lead out or not. He could win the jersey too but he just won't sprint for the intermediates. Maybe Hunt and Thomas will practice their leadout for hin.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I hope a GC guy wins it, as unlike the tour de France it is not a sprinters jersey. Like the Giro it is a jersey for being a complete rider. I hope for something like in the Giro, where Evans won it last time. So, I'll go for Sastre

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
I hope a GC guy wins it, as unlike the tour de France it is not a sprinters jersey. Like the Giro it is a jersey for being a complete rider. I hope for something like in the Giro, where Evans won it last time. So, I'll go for Sastre

I have completely opposite view (neither is right or wrong). The GC guys can go for the overall, the KoM, the team classification and sometimes a combined jersey. I prefer the points jersey to be one that other, non-climbing, riders can go for.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Theo is wasting his time. Fresh from getting battered by Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny , Bauge etc etc on the track, so now he will probably spend the next 3 weeks suffering from heat exhaustion and losing to Cav, Farrar, Bennati..:rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Mark Cavendish must still have the edge, then Petacchi, then Farrar or Haedo.

Cav is a step ahead, I'm also expecting Bennati to get a stage and Haedo and K Fernandez with a big chance of winning flat stages late on.

TRENDING THREADS