• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Awards Prestige

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Added black part was my point. To be a good GT climber you need to be consistent on all mountain stages. Dropping out on one climb in every GT= damage has been done especially if you lose a lot of time in one stage like Valverde has done numerous of times. Just saying he doesn't make it in my top 10 of GT contenders. I'm not saying he's far away from it though. And I definitely consider him an A climber in important one day races like LBL, fleche Wallone, classica San Sebastian and Giro di Lombardia.
You're just rehashing the old cliche "Valverde always has a bad day". Valverde used to waste too much energy on sprint finishes, the fact that he's actually able to win those has been both a blessing and a curse. Now he's learned to ride more conservatively. To me, there's really no argument. The results prove that Valverde is one of the best GT riders out there.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Good climber? Yes. He doesn't make my top ten of( currently active cyclists) best GT(one day races is something else) contenders anyway.

Of course he took advantage of it and of course it's fair for him to do so, but without the bonus seconds in that Vuelta we would have most likely seen a more interesting GT. I will always see his victory there as a fluke though because of the mechanicals and bad luck his nearest opponents had, but that's not his fault. + some clinic issues with him as well.

Alright, Valverde might not make your top ten of best climbers, but it takes more then just a good climber to be a good GT contender. And yes, maybe without the bonus seconds there would be more excitement, but I believe Valverde would have still won La Vuelta and animated the race, clinic issues and mechanicals or not.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
How can a rider who has 7 top 10 finishes in 10 GT starts be not considered one of the top 10 GT riders today?

Thank you. Valverde is definitely one of the top ten GC contenders of the last 5 years. Doesn't matter if he is suspended now, he is still one of the best of the past years.