• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Coverage - dull

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Compared to the Giro or the Tour (or the classics, Tour de Suisse, Dauphine etc.), I find the Vuelta coverage dull.

It's not the riders. It's not the parcours. (It's not even the lack of fans on the road.)

It's the TV coverage. Poor sound, poor pictures, poor graphics. (Distance to go, gaps etc.)

How come they do such a bad job technically?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Money? Lack of budget to deploy sufficient means?

Even though you are correct, live coverage yesterday of the sprint (view from the front, from fixed camera after the slight curve) could have been set up in a better way. It was the helicopter view in the replay which allowed to properly see the sprint.

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Dalakhani said:
It's the TV coverage. Poor sound, poor pictures, poor graphics.... How come they do such a bad job technically?

I've been wondering the same thing. The quality overall is way poorer than the TdF. There are technical issues but I wonder if it comes down to production.

They stuff up occasionally but you have the impression with the TdF that someone in change each day knows their stuff, choosing and mixing the images to produce a quality product. Don't have the same feeling about the Vuelta.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It is not that great I must admit. The Giro is a bit better but their tv production and look is still not the best. The Tour out does both of these races in this area.

I agree, the colors in the Vuelta coverage always seem to be a bit off, with some shade of yellow/orange over them or something. It tends to be a bit grainy as well.

But TdF/ASO/FranceTV cycling production is in a league of its own. The first race of the season which they produce is Paris Roubaix and it's every year I notice that it a step up compared to all previous races.

I absolutely agree about the TV pictures. They are mostly very disappointing and ruin some of the experience for me. One might also add that the terrain itself isn't all that interesting compared to the Giro or TDF where the surroundings are far more picturesque. Except from Basque country of course, which is very beautiful.

Long, straight motor-roads surrounded by what looks like a desert isn't exactly a pretty sight.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Part of the problem is that they don't start shooting until 4 PM (Central European Time, 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time) every day. That alone puts things light years behind the other two grand tours, unlike the Giro (where things generally start about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the stage), and the Tour where they occasionally even show the entire stage. Shame on the Vuelta for that.

SetonHallPirate said:
Part of the problem is that they don't start shooting until 4 PM (Central European Time, 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time) every day. That alone puts things light years behind the other two grand tours, unlike the Giro (where things generally start about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the stage), and the Tour where they occasionally even show the entire stage. Shame on the Vuelta for that.

Might be a result of the way the stages are centered: with the only interesting bit at the end, except for one or two stages.

Or it might be the other way around, who knows.

Panda Claws said:
Yeah certain countries are worse at it than others.

1. Belgium
2. France/Netherlands
3. Italy
4. Spain
5. GB

Netherlands? You serious? The only races provided by Dutch TV are Amstel Gold Race and Dutch Championships and they are both horrible. They don't bother at all with trivial things like distance to go or time gaps (except for one pup up every 15 minutes or so). Often messy production as well. Be prepared for horror in the WC as well.

I would also make a case to put France above Belgium in overall quality, at least, that's what I conclude based on the differences between RvV and Paris Roubaix: I always feel like coming home when the latter is broadcasted.

Gavatron said:
I've been wondering the same thing. The quality overall is way poorer than the TdF. There are technical issues but I wonder if it comes down to production.

They stuff up occasionally but you have the impression with the TdF that someone in change each day knows their stuff, choosing and mixing the images to produce a quality product. Don't have the same feeling about the Vuelta.

Absolutely, and very noticeable. Must be a budget thing.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Yeah certain countries are worse at it than others.

1. Belgium
2. France/Netherlands
3. Italy
4. Spain
5. GB

Netherlands? Did you not watch the Olympic RR this year (covered by NOS).

As for the Vuelta, yes, always not so good coverage - though whilst still being poor, they do seem slightly improved this year.

As with the Giro - why, in 2012 are we not getting HD pictures :mad:

Arnout said:
Might be a result of the way the stages are centered: with the only interesting bit at the end, except for one or two stages.

Or it might be the other way around, who knows.

It's mainly down to two things: Cost (Spain being where they are, recession wise) and a fall in home viewing figures that coincided with the raft of doping busts, mid-noughties.
TVE started chopping live schedules at that time.

Previously, they had often shown entire mountain stages.

Spanish live tv seems to have lost another 20 minutes or so, this year.
Imo, their transmissions are now too short by at least 30 minutes.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Never noticed and certainly don't have any problems with it.

Agree. The race is so good who cares about the rest.

Sure the TDF had "better" coverage. But all that did was put a lipstick on a pig.

Enjoy the race. It'll be the best GT of the year.

TRENDING THREADS