• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta: first part of the race (your opinions)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Make stage 1 a 30-40 km ITT.
Put Gallina before or after Rabassa on stage 3.
Descend Garbi from a different side (Climb Segart and descend Estivella or climb Estivella and descend Segart) and put the finish in Sagunt instead of Port de Sagunt. If descending Garbi from the Estivella or Segart side isn't possible because of the road condition, then climb it once from Segart and once from Estivella (in no order).
Cumbre del Sol HTF was too much. A proper hilly stage with a descent finish would be better. (Perhaps a finish in El Poble de Benitaxell after the descend of Puig Llorenca? (Since they don't go to the very top, the name of the climb becomes Puig Llorenca)

Re:

Forever The Best said:
Descend Garbi from a different side (Climb Segart and descend Estivella or climb Estivella and descend Segart) and put the finish in Sagunt instead of Port de Sagunt. If descending Garbi from the Estivella or Segart side isn't possible because of the road condition, then climb it once from Segart and once from Estivella (in no order).
Cumbre del Sol HTF was too much. A proper hilly stage with a descent finish would be better. (Perhaps a finish in El Poble de Benitaxell after the descend of Puig Llorenca? (Since they don't go to the very top, the name of the climb becomes Puig Llorenca)
Make each of 21 stages gc-eventful. :p

Re: Re:

dacooley said:
Forever The Best said:
Make each of 21 stages gc-eventful. :p
Stage 9 could have been a transitional stage for breakaway as well tbh. (But not a sprint stage or an uphill finish)
7 stages for GC in 9 stages can be a bit too much. :razz:
But a proper hilly stage would be better because it is a weekend stage. Stage 5 can be made a transitional breakaway stage without GC action in that case. (No uphill finish in Ermita Sta. Lucia in that case.)

Also, stage 8 can also finish in the town of Petrer making it a downhill finish while still having a GC stage. (12-13 kms or so away from Xorret de Cati)

Enjoyed this first week, riders were very aggressive and the route was great with many rolling stages. Perhaps this last murito was redundant, a short ITT would've been better.

I don't mind the Vuelta being overly montainous, after such a dull and easy Tour route.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
The good think about the Vuelta is that they don't have many pure flat stages. I like that very much.
The bad think is that they have way too many Muritos. But that's its signature and I accept it. However because of that It can never be the preferred GT of the year.

So basically is a fight between too many flat stages versus too many Muritos. I take the second.

Well, there are not many more muritos in this Vuelta (tough short climbs) the next weeks. Now the mountains are diferent (tough long climbs)

Re: Re:

Asturiano said:
Escarabajo said:
The good think about the Vuelta is that they don't have many pure flat stages. I like that very much.
The bad think is that they have way too many Muritos. But that's its signature and I accept it. However because of that It can never be the preferred GT of the year.

So basically is a fight between too many flat stages versus too many Muritos. I take the second.

Well, there are not many more muritos in this Vuelta (tough short climbs) the next weeks. Now the mountains are diferent (tough long climbs)
I noticed this as I was browsing through the stage profiles. Only one murito finish left which is on stage 18, Los Machucos is just a bit too long to be considered a murito.