• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome is the big favourite, he is the best and there is a 39 Km iTT.. at the end, not very long, quite hilly, but enough to win la Vuelta if he has lost some time in the mountains.

Quintana would have the same favouritism, but IMO it is the first time he try 2 GT in a row.. he is young and he will pay that at the end.nhe is my favourite for Andorra stage. He will put time on Froome that day (20-30 seconds)

Valverde and Nibali will be up there but depends on the weather to win the race. They are favourites, but no more than Froome, although le tour is le Tour, and now is la Vuelta, different races, and froomehad a lot of agenda after le Tour.

Aru? he is fresh, but he is not so good to win people as Froome.

Landa, if he get the same shape than in the spring, he is not allowed by the team, Martinelli said that in an interview, he will star helping the team..

Pozzovivo: The fresher, some stages are really good for him.. he need good weather as well as Valverde. I fdont kno really with him, but he is not so good in 3 weeks.

TVG, Samu,... it looks like Tejay is here to help Samu. Samu could be up there and ride a great Vuelta, but not in the podium.

My dark horses for the race are Verona and Berhane.

I hope Barbero get one stage or some podiums.

I don't get why there are so many people who don't give aru a chance. Only because he has never beaten an absolute top tier rider yet? He is 25 so he is still very young. The day will come on which he beats one of the best rider of the world, and why not this year.

If my memory serves me right riders that rode the Giro at their peak form usually won't reach that same peak form in the Vuelta again. Aru got close last year though, but usually they won't.
2013 Nibali comes to mind, monster in the Giro, but just not that same monster mode in the Vuelta. Some riders don't come near their Giro form.
Same goes for the TdF-Vuelta ofcourse, allthough Valverde doesn't seem to mind. Curious how he will go this year since he rode his best TdF ever.

I have actuall no idea on which riders I should bet for this Vuelta. No doubt Valverde, Quintana and Froome will be good, but how good? Winning good?
Nibali, Aru and Landa Trio makes me go dizzy. They guy that won the Giro poule on www.scorito.com actually lined up the entire Astana team and ofcourse Contador and other good riders and he won because of that choice. Will Astana be that dominant again? It's their Giro line up afterall, but will all of them reach that same level at the Vuelta? I very much doubt it.... then again it is Astana....

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:
Gigs_98 said:
Okay so I went through the biggest parts of the route with google street view and I found some pictures that made me laugh and especially wonder:
the slightly dangerous curve:
V7Cr6qY.png

which way will you take:
sPcvIHU.png

not narrow at all:
gIxHLMG.png

rofl
5h5g6Gh.png

This is insane!! Did they even try to think about how fast these guys will be going!?!
LOL, and it's a TTT, I dont even want to think about Dan Martin...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Think one of those T's might become an I?
Still dangerous has hell, but at least it wouldn't be a bad as a TTT.
Serious question, who designed this TTT, a bunch of mountainbikers that hate roadies after +15 beers and a decent amount of weed? Who would even think about having something like this as a TTT?

Re:

Taxus4a said:
Froome is the big favourite, he is the best and there is a 39 Km iTT.. at the end, not very long, quite hilly, but enough to win la Vuelta if he has lost some time in the mountains.

Quintana would have the same favouritism, but IMO it is the first time he try 2 GT in a row.. he is young and he will pay that at the end.nhe is my favourite for Andorra stage. He will put time on Froome that day (20-30 seconds)

Valverde and Nibali will be up there but depends on the weather to win the race. They are favourites, but no more than Froome, although le tour is le Tour, and now is la Vuelta, different races, and froomehad a lot of agenda after le Tour.

Aru? he is fresh, but he is not so good to win people as Froome.

Landa, if he get the same shape than in the spring, he is not allowed by the team, Martinelli said that in an interview, he will star helping the team..

Pozzovivo: The fresher, some stages are really good for him.. he need good weather as well as Valverde. I fdont kno really with him, but he is not so good in 3 weeks.

TVG, Samu,... it looks like Tejay is here to help Samu. Samu could be up there and ride a great Vuelta, but not in the podium.

My dark horses for the race are Verona and Berhane.

I hope Barbero get one stage or some podiums.
What makes you think that Sanchez is the BMC leader?

Some opinions.

Will Sagan be good? If I recall correctly he took it easy last year?
Garmin bring Talansky and Martin for GC where I had hopes for Dombroski who looked really good in Utah, but it's his first GT. Will they let him of the leash?
How about Torres and Cano. Will they ride like typical Coldeportes riders in a GT (invisible) or will they actually do good?

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
MatParker117 said:
What happens if halfway through the stage it rains? You'll have riders going 50kph heading for what is essentially glue.

Same thing as what happens if it rains on the descents in Strade Bianche. Massive over-reaction here to a small section of sand; they've raced in a lot worse conditions.
Its not only because of a small section of sand. Its because the riders have to ride with 50 kph over a street which is about 2 meters wide and there are big rocks besides the "street". Thats dangerous as hell. In an ITT we could discuss but in a TTT riders have to overtake other riders and If you don't even have enough space to do that without any danger the route is automatically too dangerous.
ps: you can't compare the strade bianche with this. This is a stage where people start at different times, so riders who would have to ride on wet sand would have an enormous disadvantage.

TRENDING THREADS