• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta race director "delighted" to have a potential doper participate

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
If anybody still has doubts about Spain's stance towards cheating in sports, this should make it clear. no more words needed. sad, just sad.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-decision-yet-on-geox-tmc-invitation-to-the-vuelta

I agree that the Spanish stance on doping is and has been sad (though Galgo-gate makes one hope for better times), but I don'T think this article typically illustrates that. Guillen has financial interests to defend, irrespective of doping issues or nationalities.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
btw. Today, a very nice small opinion piece appeared in the Süddeutsche Zeitung criticizing, indeed, the Spanish stance on doping:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/55N38S/3862619/Fuenf-Tuermchen-statt-drei.html

One of several interesting observations:

"Dass aber der legendäre Madrider Blutdoper Fuentes kürzlich erneut verhaftet wurde, wird in der steil aufstrebenden Sportnation keineswegs als Indiz dafür gesehen, dass es neben göttlichem Generationenglück ein paar weltliche Gründe geben könnte für die wundersame Dominanz. Der Hinweis ist nötig, weil Spaniens Justiz die Akte Fuentes in dem Moment hastig zuklappte, als mehr herauszusickern begann als die paar Dutzend Radprofis aus aller Herren Länder. Ein gewisser A.C. zum Beispiel, dessen Blutbeutel flott verschwanden."

May 5, 2009
Visit site
yeah, that's also new to me that any blood bag discovered was labeled AC. if i remember correctly, AC appeared only on Fuentes' Liberty Seguros doping plan along with other team-mates. But that document suddenly disappeared...

but journalists have never been a source for truth, although I agree with all the rest of the SZ quote.

Its not so strange.

bettiniphoto_0053605_1_full_600.jpg

Honestly, simply being the brother of a guy who has been caught paying large amounts of money to a doping doctor is a better proof of doping than 0,000000000015g clenbutarol. In reality they are probably both doped, though, but the hypocrisy of some people is incredible.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
honestly, simply being the brother of a guy who has been caught paying large amounts of money to a doping doctor is a better proof of doping than 0,000000000015g clenbutarol. In reality they are probably both doped, though, but the hypocrisy of some people is incredible.

+1000000000000

May 5, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Honestly, simply being the brother of a guy who has been caught paying large amounts of money to a doping doctor is a better proof of doping than 0,000000000015g clenbutarol. In reality they are probably both doped, though, but the hypocrisy of some people is incredible.

fully agree, no question about amigo de birillo and his brother. on the other hand, the same doctor also "writing training plans" for the Schleck family, wrote doping plans for AC and his teammates, but that document of evidence miraculously disappeared suddenly... made in Spain.

Is it just me or does it seem that Italy and Germany are the only two countries really, seriously fighting and hunting dopers? Or maybe just Ettore Torri alone?

But then again, I don't care how much clenbuterol, as it doesn't matter. But this deserves a thread of its own, probably one exists already, why such a small amount might be highly indicative of certain practices.

maltiv said:

This.

Plus, once AC has served whatever sanction is ultimately imposed, why should he not be welcomed back at EVERY race he wants to enter???? I'm not a fan of implicitly banning folks from races even after they've served their suspension.

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:

exactly. thats what happens if you let your insurance premiums lapse. ;)

TRENDING THREADS