• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta shabby presentation ceremony

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You guys are funny. this is my first year to see all three gts on tv(internet). So what if the vuelta and the giro aren't the same as the "tour". The podium girls are way hotter in the giro and the vuelta. The stages are more interesting as they have sections of the road at 22% which I don't ever recall seeing at the "tour". They race through alleys that are 5 feet wide. I think the giro and vuelta are harder than the tour.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Señor_Contador said:
What Unipublic should do is concentrate more on the cycling than the money. And yes, cyclists are to blame too, I'm not going to deny that. But the organization is the # 1 problem.

I'd suggest you to run a business along those principles and try to survive in the long term while not being profitable. If you succeed, buy Unipublic ;)

ozerulz said:
You guys are funny. this is my first year to see all three gts on tv(internet). So what if the vuelta and the giro aren't the same as the "tour". The podium girls are way hotter in the giro and the vuelta. The stages are more interesting as they have sections of the road at 22% which I don't ever recall seeing at the "tour". They race through alleys that are 5 feet wide. I think the giro and vuelta are harder than the tour.

The Vuelta has many interesting roads but it is sorely lacking in proper high mountain stages compared to other grand tours.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
The Vuelta has many interesting roads but it is sorely lacking in proper high mountain stages compared to other grand tours.

Not that there are no impressive mountains in Spain, it is just that they are not used in any Vuelta the last 65 years. Probably because of economic reasons. One could make a Vuelta with harder mountains than the TdF quite easily. It would be difficult though to emulate the toughest Giro possible since in Italy the variety of mountains is unbelieveable. However Vuelta could be almost there with a good choice of route.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
Not that there are no impressive mountains in Spain, it is just that they are not used in any Vuelta the last 65 years. Probably because of economic reasons. One could make a Vuelta with harder mountains than the TdF quite easily. It would be difficult though to emulate the toughest Giro possible since in Italy the variety of mountains is unbelieveable. However Vuelta could be almost there with a good choice of route.

Yes, but we're not talking about competing on toughness here, we're talking about not taking the Vuelta though ****ty places. I mean... some of the roads are obviously unworthy of one of the 3 grand cycling tours.

It looks as though the organizers put black dots on a map, the black dots representing towns willing to pay for the Vuelta to go through them, and then just connected in some weird way... which forces the then to take the route through these backcountry roads I know are extremely bumpy (I've ridden through them all my life) and a pain in the *** to ride on when it's 40º because the tar melts and the bicycle literally gets glued to the pavement.

Ask yourself this: Would you go to a cycling event 50 kilometers from where you live, in the middle of nowhere, 40º in the shade and not a single tree to seek shade under while you wait for the riders to go through?

movingtarget said:
I tend to agree. The presentation seemed to be total confusion. There was plenty of atmosphere on the climbs and good crowds but knowing where the riders are on the road is confusing and the time checks are hit and miss, a bit like the Giro, although the Giro is generally much better organised. The ASO taking a bigger role can only help.

ASO who couldn't get the correct national anthem to play for the 2009 Tour winner. ASO who in the past created Tour routes to favor a certain eventual 7 time Tour winner, thus making the utimate winner a forgone conclusion.
They are not without their faults in organizing events.

tidean said:
Yes of course the racing is the most important part of the bike race.
I actually think Spain is probably the best country in Europe having done a few big road trips there in the past & were you to give me a free lunch ticket to travel in Europe again Spain would definitely be part of my agenda.
But France is so well presented by the tdf & I think the Vuelta is not doing Spain justice. There are some massive tour stages to be had in Spain, the tdf seems to use Spain or at least the Pyrenees as much as possible. The organizers of the Vuelta are not creative enough imho.
Poor presentation does not do your product any good. The fans like me will watch as much racing as possible but to improve bike racing as a whole one has to present, show your product to the widest audience. I have a mate whose wife generally does not give hoot about cycle racing but she stays up late at night to watch the tdf. And when it comes to holidays he has no trouble getting her to France, she hangs out in the ambiance created by the race & he gets to the tdf with no hassles & gets a bit of riding done aswell.
Its all good for cycling - the race is good - France extra dollars from tourism & therefore supports the race well - an old cyclist gets to do some cycling - everybody is happy.
Maybe 'cos Spain is winning so much sport these days the Vuelta is down the list.

Correct me if I'm wrong but part of the reason that the Pyrenees aren't prominently featured in the Vuelta is due to on-going political dispute with the Basque region. It's my understanding that next year is the first year in quite a while that the Basque region will be featured in the Vuelta. In the past political terrorists were setting off road side bombs protesting for the Basque regions independence which resulted in the Vuelta deciding to avoid that area as a safeguard for the riders, teams and fans. Since that time, I believe things have smoothed out and are more stable. This is based on my limited knowledge of history of the region. I'm Libertine Seguros and others will correct me or elaborate on this.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
keep dreaming fanboy

+1. Moving the US Pro out of Philly to Hindcapie's new back water was a stupid move. The chance we had for a classic gone. Moved it to a town where they are still debating the merits of the rebel flag. The chance of the US having a grand tour is the same as Beckham being an NFL kicker

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but part of the reason that the Pyrenees aren't prominently featured in the Vuelta is due to on-going political dispute with the Basque region. It's my understanding that next year is the first year in quite a while that the Basque region will be featured in the Vuelta. In the past political terrorists were setting off road side bombs protesting for the Basque regions independence which resulted in the Vuelta deciding to avoid that area as a safeguard for the riders, teams and fans. Since that time, I believe things have smoothed out and are more stable. This is based on my limited knowledge of history of the region. I'm Libertine Seguros and others will correct me or elaborate on this.

OK, I will correct you :)

The Pyrinees are not in the Vasque Country at all. The Pyrinees are shared by Cataluna, Aragon, Navarra (Andorra and France also of course). Navarra is not the Vasque country, although there is a minor part of the Navarran society which is filo-vasque.

The biggest mountains in the Pyrinees are situated by far in Aragon, however there are not many roads there because it is quite unpopulated and there are many protected areas that hamper the construction of roads. The Vuelta could use the Pyrinees of Aragon and Cataluna without problem. It could use the Pyrinees in Navarra with little problem, specially if even in the Vasque country they are going to have Vuelta stages next year.

Please check http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Localización_del_País_Vasco.svg the red region is the Vasque Country. The border between Spain and France follows the Pyrinees

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
OK, I will correct you :)

The Pyrinees are not in the Vasque Country at all. The Pyrinees are shared by Cataluna, Aragon, Navarra (Andorra and France also of course). Navarra is not the Vasque country, although there is a minor part of the Navarran society which is filo-vasque.

The biggest mountains in the Pyrinees are situated by far in Aragon, however there are not many roads there because it is quite unpopulated and there are many protected areas that hamper the construction of roads. The Vuelta could use the Pyrinees of Aragon and Cataluna without problem. It could use the Pyrinees in Navarra with little problem, specially if even in the Vasque country they are going to have Vuelta stages next year.

Please check http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:Localización_del_País_Vasco.svg the red region is the Vasque Country. The border between Spain and France follows the Pyrinees

And I'll correct you ;)

The highest mountains in the Pyrenees are in Aragon, but the best climbs for road racing are in Catalonia. Seems that there is some lack of interest in bike races there, and not only the Vuelta but also their own Volta Catalunya has difficulties to get towns willing to host a stage.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:
And I'll correct you ;)

The highest mountains in the Pyrenees are in Aragon, but the best climbs for road racing are in Catalonia. Seems that there is some lack of interest in bike races there, and not only the Vuelta but also their own Volta Catalunya has difficulties to get towns willing to host a stage.

And I fully agree with you, the best (road) climbs are in Cataluna. The highest mountains in aragon. It is a pitty for cycling that there are so few roads there, but a blessing for nature lovers.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
+1. Moving the US Pro out of Philly to Hindcapie's new back water was a stupid move. The chance we had for a classic gone. Moved it to a town where they are still debating the merits of the rebel flag. The chance of the US having a grand tour is the same as Beckham being an NFL kicker

You guys are funny. Yes I am well aware that there will never be a GT here in America. Fanboy. nice