Vuelta speculation

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2014
Re:

Laplaz said:
Stage 2 should be windy, am I wrong?
A northern weak wind in the forecase...
...but there is chances for a LOT of fun next day.

1) A long attack on Perche - Formigal style. Bertie ?
2) A medium attack on the very hard lower Rabassa slopes. Kruiswijk ?
3) The Murito with a a descent finish on Cormella. Nibs ?

Re: Re:

TromleTromle said:
Laplaz said:

1) There's a loop at the end of stage 2 designed to have mostly headwind and tailwind, so the chance of echelons is uncertain.
2) Formigal came rigth after a mountain stage with 4 brutal climbs, the easiest being Marie-Blanque. I can't see that kind of riding in stage 3 with legs still fresh. If they go all out in those climbs the best we can hope for is something like Gap after Col de Manse.

TromleTromle said:
Laplaz said:

Stage 3 will be broadcast from the beginning.

Jun 11, 2014

Rollthedice said:
TromleTromle said:
Laplaz said:

Stage 3 will be broadcast from the beginning.
Excellent.
True Formigal came after a brutal stage - but Froomey can/should be caught off guard as early as possible and this is a terrific chance - and this is perhaps the best chance together with Bermejo (I am still split about stage 5&6 - could be epic - could be snoozzinh....)

It is too bad a fresh Poels is gonna babysit Froome. If that wasn't the case I think giro guys like Zakarin, Nibali and maybe Pozzovivo can crack him. He certainly is gonna jojo again, but I think at some point he may not be able to come back again and again with the form he has shown throughout this season.

Dec 21, 2015

Anderis said:
Formolo is ill. He has been ill since the Tour of Poland where he was supposed to lead the team but fell ill and Cannondale started with only 6 riders. Villella, who is leaving to Astana, is going to this race so I don't think the issue is that Formolo leaves.
Yup, bronchitis apparently.

Rather uninspiring team and I don't thnk many chances for stage wins will come unless Woods is in good form. To me is doesn't look like a team they wanted to bring here but the shape of some riders is apparently not what they hoped to be.
Woods must be their best chance of a stage win - he came close a couple of times in the Giro.
Though maybe Van Asbroeck can nick a sprint win, given the lack of pure sprinters at the race...

Davesta said:
Anybody know what Alaphillipe's form is like after his injury? Does he have a chance of hunting for stage wins?
He was 3rd in the two stages in Vuelta a Burgos with a punchy finish. In the first one he was the best from the bunch as the winner and runner up came from a break. The Vuelta has a stronger field than Burgos and his problem will be that if he wants to win from the main group he needs to up his game, and if he tries from a break he'll probably be treated like Sagan and everybody will ride against him.

Jul 22, 2011
Re:

Nirvana said:
They added the terrible "Alto de Nimes" in the TTT.
I think that when the Tour years ago put a KOM on a bridge was harder than this :D

What annoys me most about this isn't even the KOM itself - it's the "Alto". It just sounds awful to call a "climb" outside Spain that. Not quite as bad as "Côte de Buttertubs", but close.

Akuryo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Oh well, Sami Sanchez is gone now. Purito retired last year. Valv is injured. Contador only one left.... Sad times indeed.
And there are a few up and coming riders. Mas and Soler among the most promising ones. ;)
It seems to happen now and then that a country that has been strong for years falls into a slump. The USA are not breaking records of late either for important wins. Although i read something last year I think it was written by Delgado who said he was worried about the state of Spanish cycling at the junior level and neo pro level. Seeing a long term team like Euskadel fold wasn't a good sign but they are not the only country suffering economically and with races disappearing off the calendar. How long were the Dutch waiting for a GT win ? Dumoulin delivered but the French are still waiting ! Take out the veteran Valverde and it looks even more bleak.

Apr 18, 2017
Re:

Lexman said:
Any idea who might win the KOM, and sprint jersey?

sprint yersey - someone who will be in TOP 6-8 in GC and has a good finish, maybe Chaves
KOM - Fraile the biggest favourite, but someone with GC ambitions who lose chance of good GC result after 3rd stage could challenge him.... or maybe some pro-konti rider like Warbasse

Broth3r said:
Nirvana said:
They added the terrible "Alto de Nimes" in the TTT.
I think that when the Tour years ago put a KOM on a bridge was harder than this :D

What annoys me most about this isn't even the KOM itself - it's the "Alto". It just sounds awful to call a "climb" outside Spain that. Not quite as bad as "Côte de Buttertubs", but close.
In 2009 there was "Alto de Cauberg" :lol:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS